P1000 Diff question

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just took a good 10 mile moderate speed road ride in turf mode. I was planning to change the diff fluids for the first time so I wanted to get the diffs warmed up good before draining. When I got back and ready to start the draining I felt each diff and the front was barely warm compared to the rear diff being not hot but being quite a bit warmer. So being that my normal riding is 99% in turf or 2 wheel drive, do I really only need to do the rear diff? There must not be much going on in the front diff in turf or 2 wheel drive mode so that it doesn't even get warmed up much.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I like to get the first lube changes done early (after a reasonable break in) because I want to drain all the initial manufacturing swarf and break in wear 'chips' removed. After that, somewhat longer drain intervals seem reasonable.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just got the rear diff fluid changed today for the first time after about 650 miles and 50 hours running using Mobil1 75-140 synthetic. The stuff that drained out looked ok but at least I know what is now in there. The worst part of the job was actually re filling using the quart bottle pump I got from Amazon. I held the little hose into the diif and holding the flashlight while the wife was using the pump. Just had to pump very slow to give the stuff time to flow in until it started to overflow. Might have seemed a bit quieter on the first trial ride. I will not do the front diff until maybe next year. Now all I need to do for the first 1000 mile run is to do the sub transmission. I might use the Rotella t6 synthetic for that.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Now all I need to do for the first 1000 mile run is to do the sub transmission. I might use the Rotella t6 synthetic for that.
10w30 with moly is the best.
the T6 is great for your main oil. Ive used it in my 16’ since it was new. Being i have it on hand for my truck and its rated for wet clutch.

your opening a can of worms here mentioning oil type you know that right? 🤣

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
10w30 with moly is the best.
the T6 is great for your main oil. Ive used it in my 16’ since it was new. Being i have it on hand for my truck and its rated for wet clutch.

your opening a can of worms here mentioning oil type you know that right? 🤣
Agree, several of us are using it. I originally saw it recommended by HondaBob who worked for (or with) Honda for years, I believe.

This stuff - DO NOT PUT THIS IN YOUR ENGINE/DCT, sub trans only.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just took a good 10 mile moderate speed road ride in turf mode. I was planning to change the diff fluids for the first time so I wanted to get the diffs warmed up good before draining. When I got back and ready to start the draining I felt each diff and the front was barely warm compared to the rear diff being not hot but being quite a bit warmer. So being that my normal riding is 99% in turf or 2 wheel drive, do I really only need to do the rear diff? There must not be much going on in the front diff in turf or 2 wheel drive mode so that it doesn't even get warmed up much.
For the amount of oil the front diff takes I would just change it anyway. Piece of mind.