Rear differential noise?

D

Davidsdad

May 25, 2014
I have the pioneer 4 w/ less than 300 miles, when I'm going downhill at higher speeds (18-25) feathering the throttle so it's not holding back I get noise from what sounds like the rear diff. I'm just politely asking for feedback to see if this is normal or if it needs to be taken back to Honda!?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Davidsdad said:
I have the pioneer 4 w/ less than 300 miles, when I'm going downhill at higher speeds (18-25) feathering the throttle so it's not holding back I get noise from what sounds like the rear diff. I'm just politely asking for feedback to see if this is normal or if it needs to be taken back to Honda!?
Are you talking about the "clacking"noise from when its not quite coasting and not quite accelerating? Or the "Grrrrrr" noise. Either way I hope its normal...mines been doing it for nearly 1600 miles now.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The rear end on a new Pioneer is kinda loud compared to my past Honda. You can hear the gears in many youtube videos.
Is this the noise you are talking about.
I'll try to find a good youtube example in a few.

Dick

Dick

Dec 29, 2013
N.B. Canada
There have been reports of people changing to synthetic gear oil and it help quiet the diff gears down some. I plan on changing mine when I find time although its not loud enough to be annoying.

Reactions: monkfarm
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Dick said:
There have been reports of people changing to synthetic gear oil and it help quiet the diff gears down some. I plan on changing mine when I find time although its not loud enough to be annoying.
It does, but the difference is not substantial with near stock weights. I am thinking of trying some 70-140 Mobil gear lube to see if it helps further.

Some other ideals i have toyed with are making a plate from sheet to sit above it to help block sound. Maybe some type of material under the bed as well.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
i think maybe lucas oil stabilzer would quiet it down i havent really paid any attention if mine has a noise or not

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
bigc said:
i havent really paid any attention if mine has a noise or not
Do you have a top? It was just noticeable on mine...and then i added the hard top. As you would expect, all that sound that used to go up in the air now gets reflected right back to the ears.

I should be clear...i know the "Grrrr" gear noise is normal. I test drove 3 Pioneers, and they all had that noise, and it is clearly audible on a number of videos. The clacking i referred to only gets real noticeable after the rear end has warmed up a bit, so i wouldn't have noticed it on a short test drive. I believe this is just the slack in an IRS rear end. I have checked mine at temp, and there is no excessive slop....just several areas where there is a tiny amount that you'd expect. It has gotten no worse in nearly 1600 miles, so i am quite convinced that it is normal.

I also believe that having that heavy disk mounted on the driveshaft greatly contributes to both of these noises. Overall, the rear end on this thing is very un Honda-like in the amount of noise it makes....but as long as it keeps making it, then its not really a big deal.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
cars use hypoid gears. these use just 90deg beveled gears. hyoids are quiet beveled gears are noisy. ride it and enjoy

D

Davidsdad

May 25, 2014
Thanks for all comments, I do not have a top (yet) and yes it does give the "clack" and "grrrr". I'm just relieved to hear that this haas been normal for other pioneers!! Sorry for the slow reply! Next two mods for mine will be the hard plastic top and a lift! With people in the back I could use more ground clearance. Hope the lift doesn't affect the warranty!!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
http://youtu.be/QVpHjX7JdEI

This is when I first got mine you can hear the gear noise in the video because the camera is mounted to the ROPS, and the noises are being conducted through it.

I can still hear them if I am going down hill and shut the engine off, I think it is just the nature of the rear end design. I don't notice it when I am riding around, it has gotten somewhat quieter over time.

A

av8or

Apr 13, 2014
spifyd said:
cars use hypoid gears. these use just 90deg beveled gears. hyoids are quiet beveled gears are noisy. ride it and enjoy
If I'm remembering right, beveled gears are strong than hypoids as well. If so, I'll take tough over quiet any day.

Reactions: Tflynn
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
av8or said:
spifyd said:
If I'm remembering right, beveled gears are strong than hypoids as well. If so, I'll take tough over quiet any day.

+1... it's not a luxury car it's a sxs, made to work hard and get dirty and still work time after time.

J

jimonthemountain

Sep 8, 2014
I have had my Pioneer SxS 700-4 for about a week now and I am extremely disappointed in the transmission/rear end noise. It sounds like an old Willies Jeep with an unsynchronized transmission and a sticking clutch, raking teeth anytime it goes negative torque. I tried to coast down a hill in neutral with the engine off to go stealth. I stopped after a few seconds because of the racket it was making. This doesn't seem like a design that Soichiro Honda would have signed off on.

Aside from the drive line, this is an assume machine. Is it possible that a group of units left the assembly line with defective drive lines?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
jimonthemountain said:
I have had my Pioneer SxS 700-4 for about a week now and I am extremely disappointed in the transmission/rear end noise. It sounds like an old Willies Jeep with an unsynchronized transmission and a sticking clutch, raking teeth anytime it goes negative torque. I tried to coast down a hill in neutral with the engine off to go stealth. I stopped after a few seconds because of the racket it was making. This doesn't seem like a design that Soichiro Honda would have signed off on.

Aside from the drive line, this is an assume machine. Is it possible that a group of units left the assembly line with defective drive lines?

Up till about 100 miles they are LOUD still not ultra quiet after all it's a 1500lb 4 wheeler. Several people (myself included) have changed the front diff oil and rear gear oil at the first service and it makes a difference. Even the ultra quiet Goldwings have a gear whine, you can't get away from it with that cut of gears it's just a noise they will make. Quieter cuts are not as strong.

Changing the fluids at 100 miles cleans out the metal particulates that are worn off of the fresh cut gears. Theoretically makes the gears last longer and quieter.

Some of that noise is the rear brake causing the gears to make noise as the brake is ahead of the rear end and there is slack in the driveline. Causing the gears to rub on the reverse face. as you wear the gears reverse face they get quieter takes a lot longer than the forward face as they spend less time contacting each other in this position.

Hope this helps sooth your fears.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome jimonthemountain,
Ya, I too think Soichiro would not approve this. lol...
But.. It seems to be common with the 700's. You can here it in many videos. A thicker oil will help reduce it.
Thanks.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
jimonthemountain said:

if they had defective drive lines they would vibrate soichiro died in 1991 so he couldnt have signed off on pioneers

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I changed my diff oils yesterday and took a 30 minute ride. I used 85-140 with about 30% Lucas oil stabilizer in it and all that noise it used to make is gone now. It's the best $20 I've spent on the machine.

Thank you guys for posting these ideas.

Reactions: ohanacreek
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Update: I rode for several miles today and after the diffs got hot, there was some chatter noises coming back. I'm still happy I used a thicker oil but it only delays the sounds until it gets hot. One day I may try draining some oil and adding more Lucas but I'm not too concerned with it.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
My rear diff clicks a few times when i first start to ride. Never does it after a few mins.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!