BOX1

Rear differential noise?

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I thought that's why people installed stereo's in there 700's ---------------LOL

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I changed my diff oils yesterday and took a 30 minute ride. I used 85-140 with about 30% Lucas oil stabilizer in it and all that noise it used to make is gone now. It's the best $20 I've spent on the machine.

Thank you guys for posting these ideas.

Thanks for the Tip! :)

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Well ever since i changed all the CV boots in the rear i haven't had a single pop & click noise. Wondering if it's was never coming from the diff but the CV axles.

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
Well ever since i changed all the CV boots in the rear i haven't had a single pop & click noise. Wondering if it's was never coming from the diff but the CV axles.
Why did you change the cv boots?

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
They got busted up by sticks. New grease and all so i'm guess that helped.

Last edited:
S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
i think maybe lucas oil stabilzer would quiet it down i havent really paid any attention if mine has a noise or not
I've never understood why some higher level gear oil are not recommended for certain applications. Plain Jane 80-90 is what I think is recommended for this usage. Does using Lucas additives and other high level lubricants cause any harm? I don't like the noisy drivetrain either.

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
I changed my diff oils yesterday and took a 30 minute ride. I used 85-140 with about 30% Lucas oil stabilizer in it and all that noise it used to make is gone now. It's the best $20 I've spent on the machine.

Thank you guys for posting these ideas.
See my previous 2 posts. I've thought about doing this exact thing (hadn't really worked out the % of Lucas) but had planned on asking about 85-140 Syn. So, I'm asking. Could this cause a premature failure? Why does Honda only recommend plain Jane 80-90?

Last edited by a moderator:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure I had about 600 semi hard miles on the heavier oil. Never had an issue. From the scarce videos of the 1000 it doesn't seem to be loud enough if it exists to hear in the vids.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The 85-140 Will flow the same as the 80-90 when the oil is cold. It will give you the protection of a 140 weight once it's warmed up. The lucas acts like a tactifier, it make it cling to the gears. Think about chainsaw bar oil, it's just oil with a tactifier added. I would add 30-50% lucas.

I've heard CV joints make noise and the gear noise is definitely different.

Joe

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
The 85-140 Will flow the same as the 80-90 when the oil is cold. It will give you the protection of a 140 weight once it's warmed up. The lucas acts like a tactifier, it make it cling to the gears. Think about chainsaw bar oil, it's just oil with a tactifier added. I would add 30-50% lucas.

I've heard CV joints make noise and the gear noise is definitely different.

Joe
I'm getting ready to do my 100 mi initial service (I'll do it myself). However, I'll change the differential oils using 85-140 Syn/Lucas also. Did any of you find the intake valve needed adjustment? FYI, I adjusted the valves on my son's 1998 Honda Accord 4 cyl, at 200K mi and only 1 valve out of 16 was out (intake #1 -0.002" loose). This was the first time the cam cover had been off. I'd be surprised if the intake valve on the 700 is out any. Nothing on my 700 was lubricated by the dealer when I received it. Would be surprised if they would even check the valve(I will ).
Thanks for your responses.
PS I was a mechanic by night and an oil chemist for Shell before 10 years USAF and now 32 years as a dentist.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
One of my valves was way out. There's a thread somewhere about valve adjustments

Last edited:
Reactions: ohanacreek
G

Grandpa

Jun 25, 2016
Fruita
Ownership

1. 500
I have the pioneer 4 w/ less than 300 miles, when I'm going downhill at higher speeds (18-25) feathering the throttle so it's not holding back I get noise from what sounds like the rear diff. I'm just politely asking for feedback to see if this is normal or if it needs to be taken back to Honda!?
Just joined this forum today and am trying to figure out how to post from the start. My experience with the noise in differential is this. called 5 dealers and only one said they where familiar with it but all said bring it in and we will check it out. They said gear lash was within specks and said there was no metal in oil. asked if they changed oil than. no I did not ask them to service it. how could you check for metal if you did not drain it(mind question) I have twisted wrenches for over 30 years went out north of town in desert and warmed up till differential made noise and than drained into a clean mason jar. there was all kinds of metal in oil looked like it was full of flakes of silver. took this oil back to dealer and when at first they never heard of noise before now they all do it. there was no big junks of metal, again how could you know without draining oil? replaced oil with factory spec oil but before I did tried wiping my finger inside fill hole as that is what he said he did and yes I got flakes on my finger. took a magnet to them and they where nonferrous meaning it was coming from the aluminum case. My 500 has 180 miles on it. can anyone tell me how to post from forums home page?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just joined this forum today and am trying to figure out how to post from the start. My experience with the noise in differential is this. called 5 dealers and only one said they where familiar with it but all said bring it in and we will check it out. They said gear lash was within specks and said there was no metal in oil. asked if they changed oil than. no I did not ask them to service it. how could you check for metal if you did not drain it(mind question) I have twisted wrenches for over 30 years went out north of town in desert and warmed up till differential made noise and than drained into a clean mason jar. there was all kinds of metal in oil looked like it was full of flakes of silver. took this oil back to dealer and when at first they never heard of noise before now they all do it. there was no big junks of metal, again how could you know without draining oil? replaced oil with factory spec oil but before I did tried wiping my finger inside fill hole as that is what he said he did and yes I got flakes on my finger. took a magnet to them and they where nonferrous meaning it was coming from the aluminum case. My 500 has 180 miles on it. can anyone tell me how to post from forums home page?

Many owners, myself included run a synthetic oil typically 75W-140 in the diffentials front and rear and that seems to make a difference in noise. Some aluminium flakes are normal especially from a first oil change.

May try the synthetic oil take your pick on brand and see if you notice a positive difference.

I don't understand the question in the last sentence though.

C

catcha

Jul 31, 2017
Lorne NB Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I have the pioneer 4 w/ less than 300 miles, when I'm going downhill at higher speeds (18-25) feathering the throttle so it's not holding back I get noise from what sounds like the rear diff. I'm just politely asking for feedback to see if this is normal or if it needs to be taken back to Honda!?
I have a 2016 with 8000 km.Clacking since the day I bought it.Annoying as hell but hasn't gotten any worse.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!