P500 Rear end clunking

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Absolutley love my new 500.
Been riding a few times and this past weekend started hearing what I thought was something loose in the rear.
When I push down on the back rack I hear a clunking. I have heard this is "normal" but wasn't sure if anyone here has had the same issue.
Its due for its first service soon and I am going to mention it to the dealer.
Sounds like a loose chain. Once you gas it it stops. Only at slow speeds. Definitely was not there before.
I'm a little worried

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hey, Welcome to the club @ncred02.

Reading this to try to understand something.
What do you mean by "When I push down on the back rack I hear a clunking."???
Do you mean when stopped? and you push down. or when you accelerate?

It is normal for the break system to "clunk" when decelerating sometimes. Like where the rear drive line outruns the drive train trying to push it.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hey, Welcome to the club @ncred02.

Reading this to try to understand something.
What do you mean by "When I push down on the back rack I hear a clunking."???
Do you mean when stopped? and you push down. or when you accelerate?

It is normal for the break system to "clunk" when decelerating sometimes. Like where the rear drive line outruns the drive train trying to push it.
The noise is definitely coming from the rear end. Facing the machine from the back the drivers side axle.
I hear it when the engine is off, vehicle parked and I'm pushing down on the rear storage rack.
When riding it only makes noise at low speeds. Once I speed up its business as usual.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Humm... Idk.
Some people have repost skid plate vibration and a-arms coming loose.

Can you push in it while someone else tries to see where it is coming from?

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Is it in the suspension and not actually the rear end itself perhaps?

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It happened at the end of the day so Its been sitting since. I may lift it up on jack stands this weekend and take a look. I Googled it and it seems to be "normal" . Even found a thread which had my exact situation.
Like I said it sounded like a loose chain. I had a go cart and when the engine would shift forward the chain would make the same sound. I know there is no chain on my 500.
Some have even changed the gear oil to try to quite it down.
I'm OCD about these things but eventually I get over it.
Jut weird how it started on our second day of riding

thanks for all the replies!!

joey400ex

joey400ex

Mar 18, 2015
Check your eye bolts on the rear end, but more than likely it's the rear end which is normal. I have been giving mine hell and it's fine. Just have to keep it geared down and the RPM's up or it will clunk until you get going. Hope this eases your mind.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Check your eye bolts on the rear end, but more than likely it's the rear end which is normal. I have been giving mine hell and it's fine. Just have to keep it geared down and the RPM's up or it will clunk until you get going. Hope this eases your mind.
will do. where are the eye bolts?

advertisement
joey400ex

joey400ex

Mar 18, 2015
Check your bolts where the shocks attached to the a-arm and the frame, also would check the a-arm bolts to make sure everything is tight. I did the same thing when I got mine and its just makes clunking noise. Been giving mine hell and it's holding up so far and I am at 600 miles now.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!