Rear end clunking

K

Kicky

Apr 22, 2024
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2017 poineer 1000-5 deluxe limited with 12000 miles on it and it is making a clunking noise from the rear. I changed out both rear axles and it still does it. Any one have any ideas about where to look next?

Reactions: ChadD and TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a 2017 poineer 1000-5 deluxe limited with 12000 miles on it and it is making a clunking noise from the rear. I changed out both rear axles and it still does it. Any one have any ideas about where to look next?
Welcome from michigan.
Fist thing when you join is provide pics of the rig in question, especially with 12k on the rig.
You the first owner? Being a 17’ did u have the clutch update done?

Since u changed the axels sounds like you need the rear cable adjustment.

Reactions: TxDoc and ChadD
K

Kicky

Apr 22, 2024
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am the original owner and didn’t know anything about clutch updates. I did adjust the rear differential and it was not the problem

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am the original owner and didn’t know anything about clutch updates. I did adjust the rear differential and it was not the problem
Well that update is a campaign that has ended. Since your the first owner You would know if u had it done. Not sure if its 100% your ticking. Surprised you got 12k out of those origonal clutches.🤔
For a noise, your best to load up a video of it and post it on here. Would be alot easier for us to diagnose. You can do that on youtube copy and paste here.
Still waiting on your pics!!!

Here is a thread with info on them clutches.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Kicky
Heres the campaign.
Remember, its not a recall, they have no expiration campaigns do. Its all done.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I bought it new in the spring of 2018 may be it had been done already
Some friendly forum etiquette, make sure you hit the “reply” tab when responding to a post (see above) so that person gets a message like you did and to get a prompted response. Otherwise they may not know you responded.

Possible but not likely to trust a steelership to do that before they send it out. That would be the right thing to do and we know they typically dont do the right thing. Now watch they did this time🤣🥳
This is how you tell if it was done. Check and report back please.
IMG 5175

Still waiting on them pics

K

Kicky

Apr 22, 2024
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some friendly forum etiquette, make sure you hit the “reply” tab when responding to a post (see above) so that person gets a message like you did and to get a prompted response. Otherwise they may not know you responded.

Possible but not likely to trust a steelership to do that before they send it out. That would be the right thing to do and we know they typically dont do the right thing. Now watch they did this time🤣🥳
This is how you tell if it was done. Check and report back please.
View attachment 426414
Still waiting on them pics
Here is a pic of my pioneer and yes it has had the clutch improvement done

IMG 3059

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Here is a pic of my pioneer and yes it has had the clutch improvement done

View attachment 426417
Nice ride! And even cleaner garage!

Your lucky they did that for you ahead of time.
I guess now, is to post a video of the sound
Is that an LE? If so, are u sure its not that engaging or stuck? Weve had a few of those

advertisement
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When does it thunk? In reverse / when turning Left / when turning right / when backing up / or is it full time? Are you in Turf mode or 2wd?

K

Kicky

Apr 22, 2024
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When does it thunk? In reverse / when turning Left / when turning right / when backing up / or is it full time? Are you in Turf mode or 2wd?
It doesn’t matter if in 2wheel or turf it’s worse when turning either left or right at slow speed . Driving faster it doesn’t make the noise it does it worse when the rear end is under a load from turning

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa, just outside of Floyd.
Noise from the rear
- brake bolts backing out and striking the rim.
- drive shaft u-joint.
- half shaft, but you said these were changed already.
Could it be a diff problem? Yep, sure could with that many miles.
But, find out exactly where the noise is coming from first.
On flat ground, neutral, front tires blocked, jack up one rear wheel.
Turf mode, spin the wheel forward, now reverse. Noise?
2WD mode, move the wheel back and fourth you should feel a hard stop each way. Noise?
Now jack up the other side and do the same test. Noise?
If you can't figure it out, and you are close to me, come on over.
We can take a look at it together.
Have a good day

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It doesn’t matter if in 2wheel or turf it’s worse when turning either left or right at slow speed . Driving faster it doesn’t make the noise it does it worse when the rear end is under a load from turning
That sounds like CV joints to me - worse under load when turning. But CVs are more of a click, click, or tink, tink, tink than a thunk.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I'd absolutely say axles first, especially your RR (the primary driven wheel) but you say they've been replaced... How long ago did you replace those axles, and what kind of axles did you use? Can you identify which side it's coming from?

I'm in the same symptoms right now, but my dilemma is uglier...With the new axle on the way, I will have replaced the RR axle 3 times in 1500 miles. The last two have only lasted ~200 miles each. I've either got a huge problem with Rhino 2.0s or something in my rig is causing them to fail quickly. Both times I've replaced them thus far, the inner CV has been trashed.

I have a 2018 with 3" TTC lift and 30" tires, FTR.

K

Kicky

Apr 22, 2024
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I'd absolutely say axles first, especially your RR (the primary driven wheel) but you say they've been replaced... How long ago did you replace those axles, and what kind of axles did you use? Can you identify which side it's coming from?

I'm in the same symptoms right now, but my dilemma is uglier...With the new axle on the way, I will have replaced the RR axle 3 times in 1500 miles. The last two have only lasted ~200 miles each. I've either got a huge problem with Rhino 2.0s or something in my rig is causing them to fail quickly. Both times I've replaced them thus far, the inner CV has been trashed.

I have a 2018 with 3" TTC lift and 30" tires, FTR.
I just replaced both axels and it didn’t change a thing. They are the rhino 2.0

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!