DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
This isn't a how to on the boot. There are plenty of those around.

Just want to let everyone know that if you purchase the All Balls brand for the rear outers, you will need to source an outer clamp.

The part # is 19-5025, rear outer. 19mm x 64mm x 95mm long.
Comes with boot, pack of grease, and 2 "tool less" clamps.

1st off, these aren't really tool-less clamps. These are the multi-wrap style that used to be marketed under the "Band-it" brand. They can be done with pliers and a screwdriver, but there is a serious risk of destroying the new boot if you slip. @CptOvo can show you how in a video on his channel.
I've used these before WITH the proper tool, and they do work, but require you cut off excess clamp, leaving a sharp edge. It can also be tough to keep the wraps in-line.

The real issue, however, is that the large side clamp is too small. A wrap will have to be removed and it enlarged to fit, meaning it has been taken out of it's designed state or operation. It would probably be fine, but given the somewhat fussy nature of these anyway, I'll probably drop by the parts store and get new clamps, or do as @joeymt33 says, and reuse oem (I have the tool for those anyway).
It has to be obvious...even to the person packaging the boot, that this clamp is too small. And a number of people complained about this in reviews I failed to read before purchasing, so its not an isolated thing.

Just be aware of this if you buy it.

In its defense, it's a whopping $12 on Amazon, so plenty of coin left for new clamps.
20200414 195231
20200414 195301

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I installed the boot today, but no pics (greasy hands on the phone. That and I installed the clamps backwards). I was unable to save the OEM clamps...the ears sheared off before they would release. So I ended up using the supplied clamps.

Today was a good reminder of just how god-damned worthless modern parts stores are. No oetiker style clamps to be found. Not really a surprise, as these are way smaller than auto type cv's, but nobody had the multi-wrap style either. I used to have to climb over piles of these to get to the counter.
And once more, only one place even had the tool for the wrap style (somebody borrowed mine and never brought it back). I bought it. It did help...but this style of clamp is just fussy and hard to use.

If I could do it over again, id see if I could find a better boot kit with the proper clamps. The boot did fit well, and seems think and high quality rubber (though not the hard plastic style, like OEM). My plan is to buy some Honda OEM clamps and reclamp them.

I should note that @highpocket74 lists a new 500 axle on his site for $70. Time it's all said and done, I'll probably have 40-50 in doing the boot for the tools and clamps. Probably should have gone that route.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Personally I like the rubber boots better for off road.
The plastic boots are used on cars a lot and are probably cheaper to manufacture.
I'm sure they last forever on a car used on road.
But off road where there are sticks and stones I think the rubber boots are better.
And the rubber boot resists getting twisted better, its the weirdest thing but I think a stick can poke the boot and rotate one end - they don't last long after that.
Also, you can do a field repair with a rubber boot stretching it over the CV - never done it myself but I have seen it.

That said, figuring out the difference between a quality rubber and a cheap rubber boot is difficult.
My employer once upon a time insisted rubber parts coming from China had to have spec testing on every batch to guarantee the quality.
Like everything else in life, there is quality rubber and there is garbage.

Fun fact: The plastic boots have a wax like lubricant blended in the plastic.
Some of the caustic tire cleaners will take the surface layer of the lubricant off the boot.
Then the boot makes a funny low frequency screeching noise as the bellows rub together.
After some time the wax will leach out and provide there lubricant properties again, but in the mean time an obsessive person (like one who would clean there tires) will hear the noise.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Personally I like the rubber boots better for off road.
The plastic boots are used on cars a lot and are probably cheaper to manufacture.
I'm sure they last forever on a car used on road.
But off road where there are sticks and stones I think the rubber boots are better.
And the rubber boot resists getting twisted better, its the weirdest thing but I think a stick can poke the boot and rotate one end - they don't last long after that.
Also, you can do a field repair with a rubber boot stretching it over the CV - never done it myself but I have seen it.

That said, figuring out the difference between a quality rubber and a cheap rubber boot is difficult.
My employer once upon a time insisted rubber parts coming from China had to have spec testing on every batch to guarantee the quality.
Like everything else in life, there is quality rubber and there is garbage.

Fun fact: The plastic boots have a wax like lubricant blended in the plastic.
Some of the caustic tire cleaners will take the surface layer of the lubricant off the boot.
Then the boot makes a funny low frequency screeching noise as the bellows rub together.
After some time the wax will leach out and provide there lubricant properties again, but in the mean time an obsessive person (like one who would clean there tires) will hear the noise.
I was thinking the hard plastic might be a bit more resistant to puncture, but the new one is certainly thicker...which makes me wonder if OEM clamps will even fit. All balls has a vid with the info on the boot, saying it's 50% more abrasive resistant then typical boot rubber(???).

My right front inner has been making that noise for a while, but I'm not obsessive with have a super clean machine.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I should add that this is the 1st CV boot I've done since the late 90's. These days, shops just do the whole axle.

And it's the 1st axle joint puncture I've ever had on a machine. I've had 1 or 2 on the driveshaft boots, but never the axle.

Reactions: Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I should add that this is the 1st CV boot I've done since the late 90's. These days, shops just do the whole axle.

And it's the 1st axle joint puncture I've ever had on a machine. I've had 1 or 2 on the driveshaft boots, but never the axle.
And the very next ride, the right front outer gets a hole in it.:confused:

Had a boot and some OEM clamps on order from RMATV for a Week .They are backed up, and it only shipped Friday. Also looks like the diff seal might be starting to leak, so may go ahead and do that as well. When it rains, it pours.

• Sad
Reactions: Mudder and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!