Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Replace the boot (someone else) or simply replace the axle assembly (me)?

I am mechanically declined; the most specialized tool I own is probably needle nosed pliers!
First, Yea Right! ( Needle nose pliers ) I'm finally learning how to use the search bar in the P1 shop talk, bet you go to the P5 forums they have shop talk section, if they don't have what you need to know, use the search bar. They may even have some you tube vids to watch to help you determine what you want to do.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I am mechanically declined; the most specialized tool I own is probably needle nosed pliers!
If your tools are limited I’d say replace the axle for expediency.

Maybe rebuild or regrease and shoe goo the one you have as a spare. If you drive much at all on a torn boot it will lose the grease and do damage in a hurry.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

🤔. C'mon futzn!!! You gotta have more then just needle nose pliers bro. Replacing the boot is a really simple job. If you can swap out the axle your self that's half the dang job right therrr 😉

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
First, Yea Right! ( Needle nose pliers ) I'm finally learning how to use the search bar in the P1 shop talk, bet you go to the P5 forums they have shop talk section, if they don't have what you need to know, use the search bar. They may even have some you tube vids to watch to help you determine what you want to do.
This is the first documented case of a p5 ever needing any kind of repair. The p5 kings have never compiled any such database as they've never had a need to. This is unprecedented.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
This is the first documented case of a p5 ever needing any kind of repair. The p5 kings have never compiled any such database as they've never had a need to. This is unprecedented.
There is a damaged P5! I am not sure what to do.. The sky is falling.. The End is Near!! Someone save us?

IMG 1464

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Boots are a major PITA. I'll often just buy a new axle and then work on the boot / CV at my leisure, when I can get around to it, and keep the axle as a backup.

The worst part is containing all of the grease, getting the sealing surfaces clean and grease-free, and getting a good clamp on the boot. I only use the OEM Oetiker clamps. All of those universal ones stink.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!