P1000 Rear sway delete - yes or no?

aleaddict

aleaddict

Lifetime Member
Jan 17, 2021
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Getting ready to install SATV arms and Elka S4 shocks on the rear. Any reason I should keep the rear sways? Riding limited to PNW (mostly technical but some desert type riding). Many thanks.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was anti sway bar for my local, conservative riding, not many places for speed so body roll wasn’t an issue (Talon). But when I went to Utah the roads were more open and I got tired of backing it in to every corner, even at reasonable speeds. Luckily I had bought quick disc sway bar links before I left, hooked them back up and have been running it that way ever since.

The initial reason for disconnecting - the Talon is stoutly sprung, the sway bar ties the left and right sides together (both spring rate and shock valving) making the ride even stiffer, I wanted a softer ride and got it by disconnecting the SB. On slow, rocky days, I’ll unhook, on faster days, I’ll re-hook. Luv me sum options.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Getting ready to install SATV arms and Elka S4 shocks on the rear. Any reason I should keep the rear sways? Riding limited to PNW (mostly technical but some desert type riding). Many thanks.
I removed mine after a month, just took one tire off and fished it out, it's been working great under my work bench! The sway bar that is!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mostly trail ride, and there are some trails with a lot of ruts and raises. I took mine off a month ago and really noticed how much better it's articulating.

I don't run any high speed cornering, so I'll never miss it.

aleaddict

aleaddict

Lifetime Member
Jan 17, 2021
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mostly trail ride, and there are some trails with a lot of ruts and raises. I took mine off a month ago and really noticed how much better it's articulating.

I don't run any high speed cornering, so I'll never miss it.
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking, just wanted to check with all the other inmates first. Hopefully I'll be breaking all sorts of other parts with @100Acre and @CumminsPusher later this summer.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ran my machine with Elkas and 28" tires for at least 1000 miles. Switching to 30s it felt softer and seemed to have a lot more body roll. I put the sway bar back in and I definitely prefer the ride and roll reduction with the sway bar. Depends on the rest of your setup but it was worth the effort to put mine back. Im curious if my wheel hop in soft soil returns now but I haven't experienced it yet and that was my main reason for removing it

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I hate um, upsets the rig too much in the heavier terrain, kills off traction when you need it the most. It’s just a little bit more unsettling at high speed. Unless loaded heavily it’s no big deal, but even then when you hit bump on one side it seems to not upset the rig to loss of control as bad as it does with it in.
Everywhere except high speed it’s far better IMO. Both current rigs pulled out before any miles. Why have independent that isn’t.
go for quick rip then directly after just unbolt it and go back out. See what you think before you fully pull it. It’s your machine do what feels best for you

Last edited:
advertisement
Heinecke2

Heinecke2

Nov 15, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Going slow over technical terrain I believe my sway bar almost cost me a couple roll overs. Wouldn't allow enough flex in the rear to keep all tires on the ground. I installed fox shocks about the same time I took out my anti-sway bar and didnt notice any adverse effects. Just positive here.

If anyone finds a good use for them I'd be curious. Have 2 under my bench taking up space.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!