P1000 P1000 i-4wd delete ??

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not here to tell you that I love or hate the i-4wd. All summer it did everything I wanted it to. Not that the snow has arrived and I've switched to my snow tires (ProArmor Whiteouts 27x14x14) I'm feeling like I only have 2wd We had 18" of fresh powder and I can hardly get my buggy moving. Obviously there is a lot of spinning happening, The front feels like the right tire spins and then gets stopped, then the left starts to spin and it gets stopped. this happens so fast that it feels like the front wheels are turning slower than the rears You can actually feel the power shifting left and right so fast that it feel like something is about to break. I drive a Subaru Outback, In deep snow like this I turn off the traction control and like magic I get enough traction to move forward. I have searched here and the world wide web and find info on a i-4wd override for the talon. torque locker for the P500, but nothing for my 2022 P1K Trail. Surely somebody has figured out how to temporarily override the i-4wd on the P1K Can anybody please point me in the right direction?

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This thread pretty much walks you through everything that you need to test.
Even talks about a bypass in post #16.
Have a good day

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is a difference between Traction Control and Brake Based Traction Equalization systems. In your Subaru, by turning off the TC you also stopped the throttle intervention.
Overriding the Talon system does not turn off throttle intervention because it doesn’t have it.
You don’t want to turn it off and if you do I got $20 says you turn it back on once you see that it really helps. With systems like this you might benefit by more aggressive brake pads if available, Maybe a set from the new 1000-6 might help.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This thread pretty much walks you through everything that you need to test.
Even talks about a bypass in post #16.
Have a good day
Thanks Mark
The OP in that thread has a talon, does the pioneer have the same system? the i4wd override kit on the club store says it won't work on a pioneer??

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a difference between Traction Control and Brake Based Traction Equalization systems. In your Subaru, by turning off the TC you also stopped the throttle intervention.
Overriding the Talon system does not turn off throttle intervention because it doesn’t have it.
You don’t want to turn it off and if you do I got $20 says you turn it back on once you see that it really helps. With systems like this you might benefit by more aggressive brake pads if available, Maybe a set from the new 1000-6 might help.
Odamo, I get the difference between the two systems. What I was getting at is the "intelligent" part is great for most situations but sometimes it would be nice to turn it off and use the brute force and ignorance system. my i4wd is working correctly, but in deep snow conditions I want all 4 tires pulling all the time, not some computer trying to stop the tires from spinning

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks Mark
The OP in that thread has a talon, does the pioneer have the same system? the i4wd override kit on the club store says it won't work on a pioneer??
I don't know if the systems are identical but I'd think they have to be very close. Very slippery conditions seem to be the Achilles tendon of the i4wd system, snow being the worst.

@Hondasxs why does the club store say the override kit won't work on a pioneer?

Reactions: Smitty335
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I don't know if the systems are identical but I'd think they have to be very close. Very slippery conditions seem to be the Achilles tendon of the i4wd system, snow being the worst.

Pioneer is mechanical 4x4 engagement.
Talon is electronic 4x4 engagement.

3x4 still works on the Pioneer when the i4wd goes into fault.
On the Talon, it does not, and you're stuck in 2x4 mode until you can clear the fault.

There is no need for an i4wd delete on the Pioneer unless you have a special case. In which you can just denie it power by pulling the fuse. Doing the same on a Talon leaves you in 2x4 only.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Odamo, I get the difference between the two systems. What I was getting at is the "intelligent" part is great for most situations but sometimes it would be nice to turn it off and use the brute force and ignorance system. my i4wd is working correctly, but in deep snow conditions I want all 4 tires pulling all the time, not some computer trying to stop the tires from spinning
If you have a fuse for the I4wd, pulling it should eliminate its function. But when you do this you will only turn your front axle into a One Wheel Wonder. As in OPEN Diff. And when you add in some Brute Force you get one front tire spinning really fast. The lack of articulation will assure that.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Aggressive brake pads help elimate some of the lag in this type of system. I used aggressive ones on a Jeep and it made the BLD System more responsive. Also, this system rewards steady throttle input

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have a fuse for the I4wd, pulling it should eliminate its function. But when you do this you will only turn your front axle into a One Wheel Wonder. As in OPEN Diff. And when you add in some Brute Force you get one front tire spinning really fast. The lack of articulation will assure that.
That's what I was afraid of How do I get the front diff to lock up?

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used EBC pads on my Jeep and they have some options for Pioneers. Give it a look.
I'm not sure brake pads are the issue, it's more like the i4wd is hunting side to side. Not sure I'm explaining clearly, left tire turns 1/2 a rotation and stops then right tire turns 1/2 a rotation and stops, repeat, repeat, repeat.... it happens so fast that all i seem to do is dig the front down and not pull forward. If i let off the gas and then gently start to move forward, I move about a foot and the "bunny hopping" starts again. Does that give you a picture of what I'm trying to overcome?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm not sure brake pads are the issue, it's more like the i4wd is hunting side to side. Not sure I'm explaining clearly, left tire turns 1/2 a rotation and stops then right tire turns 1/2 a rotation and stops, repeat, repeat, repeat.... it happens so fast that all i seem to do is dig the front down and not pull forward. If i let off the gas and then gently start to move forward, I move about a foot and the "bunny hopping" starts again. Does that give you a picture of what I'm trying to overcome?
3 wheel drive is the best you can hope for. Or I will trade you my 2018 with a true locked and unlockable front diff. Even swap for your i4wd machine. Deal?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Better pads might reduce that hysteris to 1/4 - 1/3 a rotation.....
Plus some of the bunny hop is from drivetrain wind-up.

Reactions: Smitty335
NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
3 wheel drive is the best you can hope for. Or I will trade you my 2018 with a true locked and unlockable front diff. Even swap for your i4wd machine. Deal?
thanks for the generous offer I'll just stay on the packed trail and use the sled if we get a fresh dump of snow. Thanks to all who answered my questions and to hondasxs for explaining the difference between the talon and pioneer systems

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!