P1000 Recall - Honda Pioneer 1000 ALL models 2016-2018 due to fire hazard!

UTTrailBlazer

UTTrailBlazer

Apr 20, 2018
SLC, UT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
are they talking about rear plastic cover or somewhere inline under bike? The picture posted is showing something else not clear as to where picture is from floorboard or rear of bike

rear plastic cover

Reactions: BWAF
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can someone post a pic so that everyone will know the cover in question it's the rear cover threat covers the muffler I have a metal cover over mine

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, mine burned a huge hole in the RR floorboard last year on a camping trip where we had some fast and heavy running on Nevada back roads. It went into the dealer and they swore "They had NEVER seen anything like it"...

Anyway, the floor board was replaced under warranty and the back side of the new one plastered with sticky back heat shield from some other Honda product...and it has been fine since, and I've really pushed it hard a few times.

Here's the best part...a few months ago, I get a call from the Head of the engineering group at Honda America. He had my floorboard in his possession, in his office and was VERY concerned about the conditions surrounding the melt down. He also says Honda America is VERY concerned how it happened and are working to recreate the scenario at the proving grounds. He had lots of questions for me about my opinion and suggestions regarding the P51k. I essentially told him I loved the machine and gave him plenty of suggestions to make the Pioneer an even better machine...like incorporating a dang torque converter and a few more ponies from the 1 liter engine.

I'm not worried about a recall on mine, it's already been addressed...LOL

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Are they fixing “the certain conditions” that cause the loss of a cylinder?

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh, one other thing...Mine NEVER dropped a cylinder. It ran and still runs like a raped ape. Ever see a head pipe glowing when they are pulling real hard? Even worse when the engine runs lean...like all modern EPA controlled engines. It all goes hand in hand with the heat issue under the seat, through the shifter on the dash...these little rigs just run HOT. Mid engine, EPA lean and exhaust headers in proximity to the floor pan.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
If you read the recall link :
1 it's the Canadian government web site. Is someone in Washington asleep at the switch?
2 The parts with the issue is the plastic muffler cover. That would be the thing at the back of the bus.
It makes sense since the CAT is in the muffler.
3 I was on the ride where @Koda melted his floor, I'm guessing it's not the same (see what @Plongson said above).

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh, one other thing...Mine NEVER dropped a cylinder. It ran and still runs like a raped ape. Ever see a head pipe glowing when they are pulling real hard? Even worse when the engine runs lean...like all modern EPA controlled engines. It all goes hand in hand with the heat issue under the seat, through the shifter on the dash...these little rigs just run HOT. Mid engine, EPA lean and exhaust headers in proximity to the floor pan.

My muffler shield melted within the first 200 miles. Top and bottom edges melted right to the muffler. My machine also never ran on 1 cylinder but it passed a bunch of RZRs

Reactions: BWAF and Plumber32
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’ll take it to the local Polaris pushing multi-brand dealer that claims to be a level 5 powerhouse dealer. Tell them I swap it out for hunting season.
I saw the back end of your machine and it seems to have already burned off like a few others have

Reactions: ohanacreek and BWAF
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ceramic coat the entire exhaust system and header wrap the exhaust pipe, helps cool everything down and push the heat out the tail pipe.

LaVell

LaVell

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Opp, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A8F50036 BBA5 4973 BC66 32A6DA676998
Pic of recall fix

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, that'd do nothing for the hole in my passenger side floor board...That is something completely different from the issue I had.

Reactions: JTW and BWAF
tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Talked to an 18 Ranger XP 1000 owner to see how he liked it as I am considering one. He said he loved it and had 300 hours on it already. He had a p1000-5 and said he could not take the heat. Every time I get sold on the Honda, I read a post like this and it pushes me back towards the Ranger. No problems after 4 years with my 700 so not in a big hurry but still unsure which is the better machine for a 1000.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd say just go with your heart and buy the Ranger. Sounds like your mind has been made up and there's no sense agonizing over it.

FWIW, I have a later 2016 built P5, and with the very few improvements ie. seat heat kit, the 2017 under dash air diverter and dealer installed head pipe insulation...heat is no longer an issue for US, and the way we use the machine.

Everyone has different needs, but our 2016 P51k fits OUR needs just fine. Would we purchase one again? Absolutely!

advertisement