RECALL - Intake Bolt Recall for Honda Talon 1000 (19-21)

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Rear window causes me a problem, everything is a compromise. Looks like your setup works real well
Same setup i've got, i don't share the opinion of the many who say if you do the relocate or s&b your air filter will last forever. I think the rear window sucks a lot of dirt right into the intake and overwhelms the s&b. I get about 3500 miles before the filter minder gets to the halfway point. Wife wanted to go for a relatively short 100 mile ride, i washed the machine before that ride. As always your mileage may vary but i wouldn't recommend ignoring air filter checks.

View attachment 308429 View attachment 308430

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Rear window causes me a problem, everything is a compromise. Looks like your setup works real well
What it does is trap the dirt in a visible location, there's no doubt when the Uni needs to be cleaned. I still wait too long. 😊

1066 miles -
I 2fqCwcL XL

25xx miles -
I x6sjhrq XL

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
No, I don't. My first filter check was at 1066, the stock filter was spotless. My next check was at 25xx and it was still spotless. On that check, I was in a hurry and the airbox cover was dirty, I didn't want to remove the storage box and I had to lean over between the seats to remove the cover. Doing so, I bumped the cover against the body which dropped dust around the intake air horns, that made me think that I had an airbox leak. After checking everything over and realizing what had happened, I swore to never remove the cover without hosing off the entire area. Like many others, causing myself unnecessary problems by being in a rush.

The reason I don't have a filter minder is that I'd have to drill a hole in the airbox cover, adding a potential point of failure. A bit OCD but that's the reason. Since the stock filter is so well protected by the Uni pod prefilter, I don't see any need for a filter minder. But it would tell me my prefilter is dirty, again. 🤔

For the curious, details for Hondabob's snorkel and pod filter idea are linked in my sig, including the part numbers needed to make one, along with other basic Talon info.
Save yourself a bunch of headaches and get a tiny inspection camera that hooks to your phone or tablet, you can get one dirt cheap. Remove the dirty side water drain and use the camera to look at the air filter. Takes 30 seconds and you don't unnecessarily disturb any of the seals.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Save yourself a bunch of headaches and get a tiny inspection camera that hooks to your phone or tablet, you can get one dirt cheap. Remove the dirty side water drain and use the camera to look at the air filter. Takes 30 seconds and you don't unnecessarily disturb any of the seals.
I saw you mention that before but I thought you had to remove the intake tube (behind the fender liner) which seemed way too labor intensive to be worth it. This explains my misunderstanding, thanks. 👍

Reactions: toddvdh
DHS_Officer

DHS_Officer

Jan 14, 2021
Orange County Cal
Ownership

1. Talon X
The clamps that hold the air horns on inside the airbox are supposed to have the threads deformed to stop them from being able to back off and fall out.

They've seen several thay have been not tightened to the proper spacing and the threads haven't been deformed so they're backing out. This has caused engine failure when they fall into the engine and enter the combustion chamber.
Could this also allow dirt to bypass the airbox and go directly into the engine?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Could this also allow dirt to bypass the airbox and go directly into the engine?
No, as this is inside the air box on the throttle body intake tubes.
You could remove them the tubes all together and not see any side effects.
Its kinda like a Air Funnel.

Reactions: CID
Bigshow

Bigshow

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
As I keep looking at the air box/air cleaner set up, I want to remove the air box and put a TRX450R Twin Air air cleaner on each intake tube. Then build an aluminium air box to protect the air cleaners against mud and water. This would stop anything from falling into the air intake tubes.Then just remove the cover in the bed and there are the foam air cleaners. No chance of getting dirt on the intake side of the air cleaner when you remove the air box lid to check the air cleaner etc. Everything going in the engine has to go through the air cleaner. This has worked for Honda since atleast 1986 on the TRX 250R and 87 250X. I have the Talon Twin air set up in mine, but do not have any miles on it at present. I know a 450R air cleaner can handle 500cc plus as there are big bore kits for the 450R.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

As I keep looking at the air box/air cleaner set up, I want to remove the air box and put a TRX450R Twin Air air cleaner on each intake tube. Then build an aluminium air box to protect the air cleaners against mud and water. This would stop anything from falling into the air intake tubes.Then just remove the cover in the bed and there are the foam air cleaners. No chance of getting dirt on the intake side of the air cleaner when you remove the air box lid to check the air cleaner etc. Everything going in the engine has to go through the air cleaner. This has worked for Honda since atleast 1986 on the TRX 250R and 87 250X. I have the Talon Twin air set up in mine, but do not have any miles on it at present. I know a 450R air cleaner can handle 500cc plus as there are big bore kits for the 450R.

The 450r air filter inlet is huge and would never fit the Talon throttle bodies.

Then you'd have to make the inner metal body fit, so the filter doesnt get sucked closed.

Reactions: Bigshow
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R

I did this to mine for the last few races of the season...
20211008 213524

Surprisingly the filters stayed very clean even without protective shields around them. I don't ride in mud or water so your results may vary...

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Checked mine today after installing highpockets74's superb Talon Prefilter Snorkel kit (highly recommend). I found my clamps to be within the 10mm gap spec. However, the screws did not have the requisite disrupted threads on the ends, which I remedied with a pair of visegrips. :)

Steve

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Do you use a filter minder?
I do and it is the best thing since swiss cheese and topless dancers. Filter minder makes a gauge that can be installed in your dash also, looks cool.

I covered my intake tubes with green uni foam cut to fit over the top and held on by wire ties. Anything gets loose nothing goes down but super filtered air down the snout.

Reactions: IDIOT and Bigshow
Bigshow

Bigshow

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
The 450r air filter inlet is huge and would never fit the Talon throttle bodies.

Then you'd have to make the inner metal body fit, so the filter doesnt get sucked closed.
I have not ran the metal insert since 2005 on my 450Rs and I have 1 Baldwin motorsports Gen 1 race engine. The Baldwin motor is in I a LTR chassis. I can make the the tubes/air cleaners fit. Here is the air box my Father and I made for the Honda engine into LTR chassis engine swap. We used the 250R air cleaner as it is bigger where it mounts to the intake. This way we had more room for more venturi. All my venturi is in the aluminium snout sticking out of the air box in the 2nd picture. It tapers from 4" to 2" in 4" length and the rest of the intake is a piece of exhaust pipe bent to fit and turbo hose to couple it all together, 3rd picture. So I could machine adapters to make the 450R air cleaner fit.
ResizedImage 1376385907947
72915 651906551504701 1451333120 n

Reactions: toddvdh and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!