RECALL - Intake Bolt Recall for Honda Talon 1000 (19-21)

H

hdrews91

Jun 30, 2021
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon R
I heard about this happening a few weeks ago. I just pulled my air box off last weekend and snugged them down with a dab of blue loctite just to be safe. Only takes a few minutes to get in there and do that.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
From what I understand.
Here are the 2 bolts to check. In this pic you can see it is fairly far out. Second pic is tight and the threads deformed to prevent it from falling out if it comes loose again.
82221d5ed2ac84c426a02a6766583a624552b37b626b4bad9fd18ed78585aa7e

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
H

hondatalonr

Feb 6, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks SxS. So those just hold on the flared intakes, but would be be a disaster if ingested in the engine.
Someone on this forum reported clamp being loose and causing dirt ingestion ruining the engine. I assume they are on the other side of airbox. Maybe we should be looking at them also.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks SxS. So those just hold on the flared intakes, but would be be a disaster if ingested in the engine.
Someone on this forum reported clamp being loose and causing dirt ingestion ruining the engine. I assume they are on the other side of airbox. Maybe we should be looking at them also.
And might as well check the filter bolts too while you are in there.
3 have holds. 5 do not.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had significant engine damage on a prior machine due to the tubes not properly installed on the throttle bodys. Different location, same sloppy workmanship/quality control.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I get why they did that to the ones closest to the air boots but at that point why not make them all captured? Seems dumb not to.
Looking at the manual.
It looks like the other 5 are blocked by the air box lid. If they come loose they can't fall into the intake without the lid being off.

advertisement
PapaC

PapaC

Dec 12, 2021
W. Wa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just checked mine. Bolts were tight, gap between band ends is under 10mm, but the bolt threads are not deformed. Wondering if I should let the dealer do it to avoid any possible liability issues, or if I should “take the bull by the horns“, and take care of it myself. What think ye all?

Reactions: Smitty335
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just checked mine. Bolts were tight, gap between band ends is under 10mm, but the bolt threads are not deformed. Wondering if I should let the dealer do it to avoid any possible liability issues, or if I should “take the bull by the horns“, and take care of it myself. What think ye all?

I wrestle with the same issue. Easy enough to deform a few threads. That's probably exactly what I'll do (once the temperature rises enough to keep my blood from freezing solid on the way to the barn...)

Steve

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I wrestle with the same issue. Easy enough to deform a few threads. That's probably exactly what I'll do (once the temperature rises enough to keep my blood from freezing solid on the way to the barn...)

Steve
#metoo 🥶 🥶 🥶 My Talon is long out of warranty and as much as I hate opening the airbox, it's time I had a look 'in there' anyways. The Hondabob snorkel with a Uni pod prefilter has worked so well, I haven't looked inside the airbox for long enough to be embarrassed about it. 😊

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
From what I understand.
Here are the 2 bolts to check. In this pic you can see it is fairly far out. Second pic is tight and the threads deformed to prevent it from falling out if it comes loose again.
View attachment 317346View attachment 317347

Thanks for the pics. I understand the problem now. I think this was the cause of one Talon owner getting dirt into the engine and having to replace the entire engine (honda warranty and dealership paid the costs). Soooo, should we Loctite Blue these bolts after tightening just to make sure?? What do you think?

Reactions: Smitty335
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks for the pics. I understand the problem now. I think this was the cause of one Talon owner getting dirt into the engine and having to replace the entire engine (honda warranty and dealership paid the costs). Soooo, should we Loctite Blue these bolts after tightening just to make sure?? What do you think?
Lock tight won't hurt.
Make sure you use something to pinch the threads flat as close as you can to the nut.

This issue would not have caused any dirt to enter. It's a internal part inside the air box.

Really, I'm not even sure it's purpose.

PapaC

PapaC

Dec 12, 2021
W. Wa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah, I think I’ll just do it. Just means if it ever (hope not), goes into a dealer for anything they’ll check all recall/service items. Or I’ll tell them going in that I checked, and the threads were flattened. ;)

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Checked my vin and my machine was in the recall. I’m snowbirding in Arizona for a couple months and go on rides at least once a week so this morning I thought I should check those clamps and I’m glad I did! Both were finger tight and about 5/8” between clamp openings. Tighten them down to about 3/8 and took a needle nose and buggered up the threads some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
#metoo 🥶 🥶 🥶 My Talon is long out of warranty and as much as I hate opening the airbox, it's time I had a look 'in there' anyways. The Hondabob snorkel with a Uni pod prefilter has worked so well, I haven't looked inside the airbox for long enough to be embarrassed about it. 😊
Do you use a filter minder?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do you use a filter minder?
No, I don't. My first filter check was at 1066, the stock filter was spotless. My next check was at 25xx and it was still spotless. On that check, I was in a hurry and the airbox cover was dirty, I didn't want to remove the storage box and I had to lean over between the seats to remove the cover. Doing so, I bumped the cover against the body which dropped dust around the intake air horns, that made me think that I had an airbox leak. After checking everything over and realizing what had happened, I swore to never remove the cover without hosing off the entire area. Like many others, causing myself unnecessary problems by being in a rush.

The reason I don't have a filter minder is that I'd have to drill a hole in the airbox cover, adding a potential point of failure. A bit OCD but that's the reason. Since the stock filter is so well protected by the Uni pod prefilter, I don't see any need for a filter minder. But it would tell me my prefilter is dirty, again. 🤔

For the curious, details for Hondabob's snorkel and pod filter idea are linked in my sig, including the part numbers needed to make one, along with other basic Talon info.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!