RECALL - Intake Bolt Recall for Honda Talon 1000 (19-21)

Bigshow

Bigshow

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I did this to mine for the last few races of the season...
View attachment 319240

Surprisingly the filters stayed very clean even without protective shields around them. I don't ride in mud or water so your results may vary...
I like it and is what I am thinking other than I will be in some mud and water. Why I would need to make a new air box.

Reactions: Smitty335
Stilly1155

Stilly1155

Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2020
Peoria AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Finally got around to checking mine. Low and behold the clamp screws on the rear cylinder had backed out to around 14mm and was loose. I decided to loctite them with blue loctite and burr up the threads just to make sure they are staying put.

It's too bad I had to pull the air filter with only around 650 Miles on it but want all new gaskets after the repair. I also grease up my gaskets before installing them and my air box was clean as a whistle.

20220301 100334
20220301 100344
20220301 105444

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Checked mine today, both were at 14 mm, now 10 and the threads have a healthy Vice Grip impression.

My original filter at 6067 miles with a Uni Pod filter on Hondabob's snorkel idea. For the curious, that info is linked in my sig including the part numbers needed.

I LSPwSKC XL

I THfbZb9 XL

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I plan to check mine this week. Bolts and filter. Dammit CID, I think you have taken the drama out of any picture I might post! I expect my filter to be pristine, but I only have 3475 miles.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I plan to check mine this week. Bolts and filter. Dammit CID, I think you have taken the drama out of any picture I might post! I expect my filter to be pristine, but I only have 3475 miles.
I think your filter is in the perfect place up under the roof and in front of the back window. It may be the cleanest air possible and it eliminates the backdraft problem. 👍 Any dust coming through the 'windshield' splits to go out the door 'windows'.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
So, I opened up my air box today. I found the 2 clamps adequately tightened. I could see no indication of deformity on the threads, so I took the ViceGrips to them.

I installed the @Hondbob air intake system with 3 miles on the machine. I am now at 3475 miles. I admit to riding some pavement, but that probably amounts to less than 20% of all miles. I ride in AZ and UT, where it is quite dusty.

The clean side of the air box was absolutely clean (short of laboratory testing!). The intake side had a VERY light film of dust. The filter looks like new. I probably won't even look at it again for another 5,000 miles. I have done nothing to the pre-filter, other than blow it off with a leaf blower a few times when I was "detailing" the interior. 😁

Needless to say, I am very happy with how the Hondabob air intake system is performing. As CID said above, I think it is taking in the cleanest possible air.

I have attached a few pictures for your amusement. In the picture of the air box, you can see where I drug my finger through 3475 miles worth of dust on the dirty side of the air box.

20220317 122954 20220317 123001 20220317 123015 20220317 123654 20220317 123702

VonHarvester

VonHarvester

Jan 2, 2021
South central lower MI
Ownership

1. 520

2. Talon X
I checked mine long ago and check them every time the air box is removed,,in addition I have a thin piece of filter foam covering the tubes. No way I will drive almost 100 miles and take all day to check a couple of nuts.
Does the airbox have to be removed or can you see them by just taking the cover off?

Z

zootz

Nov 25, 2021
Payson, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Checked my Talon (is in the VIN recall), the bottom bolt was sitting at the bottom of the airbox, just waiting to be injested. The top bolt is only tightened to about 16mm, neither bolt has the thread deformation. Had it serviced on Feb 2nd. The dealer where I bought it can't give me an estimated ETA for the parts. Called Honda at the phone number on the mailed recall notice, they referred me back to the dealer. We had planned to go to a UTV fest in Yarnell AZ April 8-10, had to cancel.
IMG 5059

IMG 5059

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Checked my Talon (is in the VIN recall), the bottom bolt was sitting at the bottom of the airbox, just waiting to be injested. The top bolt is only tightened to about 16mm, neither bolt has the thread deformation. Had it serviced on Feb 2nd. The dealer where I bought it can't give me an estimated ETA for the parts. Called Honda at the phone number on the mailed recall notice, they referred me back to the dealer. We had planned to go to a UTV fest in Yarnell AZ April 8-10, had to cancel.
View attachment 327301

View attachment 327300
A few things disturb me about this.
1. You really don't need your dealer for this. Put the screw back in ( maybe add some loctite), tighten both screws, smash threads on end of screw with vice grips.
2. That looks like quite a lot of dust on the clean side of your filter. Is your filter seated correctly? Seal on lid properly installed? With a pre-filter installed, I have less dust than that on the DIRTY side after 3475 miles.
3. They are having a UTV Fest in Yarnell? OMG! That is WAY too close to my home turf!!!

Good luck.

VonHarvester

VonHarvester

Jan 2, 2021
South central lower MI
Ownership

1. 520

2. Talon X
Finally got around to working on my airbox snorkel recall. One clamp was loose (open about 16mm) so I just tightened it up and mashed the threads with the vice grips. However, the other one was just about ready to fall out, so I tried to tighten it up. No go, it wouldn't budge. I tried to loosen it and it fell right out of the clamp. Upon factory assembly, it looks like the screw started to go in the clamp and then cross threaded and only about 2mm of the entire 25mm screw was in the nut holding it. If you look closely at the tip of the screw, the shiny area is the only part that was in the nut of the clamp. I ran a die down the screw and a tap through the nut (4mm screw with .7 pitch), but I couldn't get the original screw to start, so I went to the hardware and got a screw 30mm in length. This made it a whole lot easier to get it started threading in. All is well now and I will be sure to keep an eye on those clamps. Maybe some loctite is in the future.
SAM 3027

H

HondaTech

Finally got around to working on my airbox snorkel recall. One clamp was loose (open about 16mm) so I just tightened it up and mashed the threads with the vice grips. However, the other one was just about ready to fall out, so I tried to tighten it up. No go, it wouldn't budge. I tried to loosen it and it fell right out of the clamp. Upon factory assembly, it looks like the screw started to go in the clamp and then cross threaded and only about 2mm of the entire 25mm screw was in the nut holding it. If you look closely at the tip of the screw, the shiny area is the only part that was in the nut of the clamp. I ran a die down the screw and a tap through the nut (4mm screw with .7 pitch), but I couldn't get the original screw to start, so I went to the hardware and got a screw 30mm in length. This made it a whole lot easier to get it started threading in. All is well now and I will be sure to keep an eye on those clamps. Maybe some loctite is in the future.View attachment 328913

The clamps are a controlled part, but shouldn't take any longer than other parts.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!