P1000 Recommended External Rearview Mirrors Compatible with Fabric Upper Doors?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Honda accessory external rearview mirrors are designed to bolt onto the outside of accessory hard (full) doors. They can be mounted on the windshield post if using fabric upper doors but driver's view of right side mirror is blocked by the width of the fabric frame around the windows. That's the situation I have.

I've bought and tried several pairs of aftermarket mirrors found on amazon.com but they are not satisfactory either.

I need mirrors that extend several inches away from their mounts so I can see them from the driver's seat.

Can anyone provide a link for outside mirrors that are compatible with P1000 fabric doors?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda accessory external rearview mirrors are designed to bolt onto the outside of accessory hard (full) doors. They can be mounted on the windshield post if using fabric upper doors but driver's view of right side mirror is blocked by the width of the fabric frame around the windows. That's the situation I have.

I've bought and tried several pairs of aftermarket mirrors found on amazon.com but they are not satisfactory either.

I need mirrors that extend several inches away from their mounts so I can see them from the driver's seat.

Can anyone provide a link for outside mirrors that are compatible with P1000 fabric doors?
I've not seen any that works. If you find any let us know because I would like a set too.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks. Those look like good mirrors. Aluminum bodies instead of cheap plastic.

I don't know if they're wide enough to help.

The reason I'm trying so hard to find functional outside rear view mirrors is to ensure my buggy will pass WV state inspection so I can renew my registration next winter.

WV allows us to register these buggies and drive them on state roads if made street legal. "Street legal requires standard equipment plus windshield, three rear view mirrors (inside and outside), turn signals, horn, hazard flashers, etc.

My buggy passed inspection already but a different inspector might not pass it again because driver's view of the right side mirror is partially visible, partially obstructed.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks. Those look like good mirrors. Aluminum bodies instead of cheap plastic.

I don't know if they're wide enough to help.

The reason I'm trying so hard to find functional outside rear view mirrors is to ensure my buggy will pass WV state inspection so I can renew my registration next winter.

WV allows us to register these buggies and drive them on state roads if made street legal. "Street legal requires standard equipment plus windshield, three rear view mirrors (inside and outside), turn signals, horn, hazard flashers, etc.

My buggy passed inspection already but a different inspector might not pass it again because driver's view of the right side mirror is partially visible, partially obstructed.
All i can say is good luck! Just roll with it!

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
After spending hours searching online I found the mirrors lined below. I called the vendor and was told the extension arms are 5" long. I was assured I can return them if they don't solve my problem.

May be another set of cheap chinese-communist mirrors on a shelf in my garage.

I'll post if the right side mirror is visible from the driver's seat.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
No, the Tusk mirrors did not work. Close but no cigar.

They would have been acceptable but the lean back angle of the Honda A pillars (windshield frame) is too steep. When the collar clamp bracket of the Tusk mirrors is attached to the A pillar the mirror heads point back and down. The Tusk mirror heads don't provide sufficient range of adjustment to aim them back behind the buggy.

I've probably spent $250 buying cheap Chinese plastic crap mirrors and several good chrome steel mirror heads before I found a solution.

I purchased and installed the Tusk A pillar clamps and the four or five inch flat bar extensions provided then purchased a pair of chrome steel mirror heads from CARID. The extension arms appear to be a very hard plastic material which cannot be bent. If they were steel one end could be clamped in a bench vise and the other end could be bent to allow correct aiming of the mirrors.

The CARID mirror heads work (just barely) with the Tusk brackets and extensions. I'll post this and then take a close-up photo of my mirrors and post the order info for the mirror heads I'm using.

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Here are a few photos of the mix and match mirrors I'm using. Photos # 2 and #3 are close up views of the passenger side then driver's side mirrors looking rearward. Photos #4 and #5 are views of each mirror from the driver's seat.

The driver's side mirror is excellent. The passenger side mirror, as you can see, is not a full view but is good enough to use and to pass a state vehicle inspection.

I can't find my purchase records for the chrome steel rectangular shaped mirrors seen in the photos.

The CARID website has 500 or more automotive rear view mirrors of all types, sizes, and shapes. They're reasonably priced and much better quality than the cheap Chicom plastic junk the ATV vendors sell but you'll have to start with at least the collars that clamp on the Pioneer A pillars. There are many old '40s and '50s vintage round truck mirrors and some with long arms to extend out far enough to provide a good, clear view of the passenger side mirror.

If you have the patience to continue looking on CARID you'll find something you like. I'll keep looking to find the ID of the ones I bought and shown here.

IMG 1957 IMG 1954 IMG 1958 IMG 1955 IMG 1956

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the detailed info and pics!
What’s the total width?
Guessing it will be too wide for my enclosed trailer as my other mirrors that were clamped to a pillar just cleared the trailer door.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I made a quick measurement. The mirrors extend about 7 1/4" from the A pillar/windshield frame on each side. Call it 15" total. The buggy's windshield is about 60" wide plus 15" for two mirrors gives a total width of 75" or 6' 3" wide.

I think the Tusk windshield frame clamps would be pretty easy to loosen enough to rotate the clamps forward to swing the mirror heads out in front of the windshield on each side. It might even be possible tp leave the clamps just loose enough to wing forward for trailer loading and back in position after unloading.

Perhaps a better alternative would be to carry two box end wrenches and remove the large nuts and bolts that attach the Tusk mirror extensions to the Tusk windshield frame brackets. The bolts and nuts could be reattached to the extensions and store them, with mirror heads attached, in the buggy while trailering.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If only dodge would make us some mirrors we wouldn't have to worry about the fabric doors. I just run mine knowing I can't use them.

Reactions: Lady01
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Change out your fabric uppers to the seizmik fabric door and you’ll solve your problem as they come with mirror mounts, mine are super easy to see.

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Click the link to my build, bunch in there, think the doors start on page 4 or 5.
Thanks for the reference. page 5 for your soft upper doors and mirror. Its not a very good photo... curious to see the inner portion of the door also. Does the Seismik soft upper easily remove from the door for summer use and quickly back on if it rains?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Seusnik door uppers are not compatible with Honda accessory hard cab back panels. Check to determine is Seisnik door uppers are compatible with Honda accessory roofs and windshields.

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Seusnik door uppers are not compatible with Honda accessory hard cab back panels. Check to determine is Seisnik door uppers are compatible with Honda accessory roofs and windshields.
Ahh... good to know. thank you.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the reference. page 5 for your soft upper doors and mirror. Its not a very good photo... curious to see the inner portion of the door also. Does the Seismik soft upper easily remove from the door for summer use and quickly back on if it rains?
I’d think it easy to remove but it’s going to be bulky as it is a frame still, I leave it on year round, easy enough to keep the window down when hot out and zip it up if your really caught it a downpour. I also keep the windows down when trailering.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!