P500 Reliability Reports

D

dirtbag

Aug 6, 2015
I'm wondering if people would be willing to post how many miles they have on their P500 and what, if any, work (besides air filter and oil changes) has been needed. It seems like other brands have issues with wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends and suspension bushing failures early on - as in less than 1k miles.

Curious if these kinds of wear items are going to be an issue with all brands, or does Honda have superior quality in these areas as well. I know the P500 hasn't been out too long, but there has to be some people out there with a healthy number of miles logged. Thanks in advance, Dirtbag.

Reactions: Magnet and Jlfaz
500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I'm wondering if people would be willing to post how many miles they have on their P500 and what, if any, work (besides air filter and oil changes) has been needed. It seems like other brands have issues with wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends and suspension bushing failures early on - as in less than 1k miles.

Curious if these kinds of wear items are going to be an issue with all brands, or does Honda have superior quality in these areas as well. I know the P500 hasn't been out too long, but there has to be some people out there with a healthy number of miles logged. Thanks in advance, Dirtbag.
I smoked 2 belts and bent a valve in the first 1,200 miles. Wait a second that was my Kawasaki 650 prairie. I've got 99 problems but a Honda ain't one!

C

classichonda

Jul 12, 2015
I smoked 2 belts and bent a valve in the first 1,200 miles. Wait a second that was my Kawasaki 650 prairie. I've got 99 problems but a Honda ain't one!
Lol. I could only see something about belts when my phone lit up... was wondering if you were confused abt the type of tranny you have. How many miles on the 500?

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Lol. I could only see something about belts when my phone lit up... was wondering if you were confused abt the type of tranny you have. How many miles on the 500?
1,900 7,500 miles 11-2018

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I've got 99 problems but a Honda ain't one!
lol....

This could be a helpful thread for potential buyers who are wanting to compare.
So far I haven't read anyone having any issues with the 500's..

I know we will see fluctuations between drivers based on the demand they place on there Pioneer. Turning a P500 into a river dredger with 30" tires will most likely expose those part limits before the 1k mark. But the normal, every day trail rider with medium mud riding time should not. Maybe we can get some good responses as time progresses.

500 Riders. As time passes. Please post your miles, replacement services completed, and a general riding style description!

Thanks.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK

Logged almost 700 miles so far. All but about 10 were with oversized (27"x11"x14) tires and full accessories installed. Have changed the oil once, even though it was still almost clear (about 115 miles). Have had no issues so far. No rattles, knocks, or hesitations. There did seem to be some noise in the rear differential, but that has quieted down considerably after the first 150-200 miles. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Reactions: trigger and Fordman
D

dirtbag

Aug 6, 2015
600miles and only 1 major major problem both bushing for the passenger side latch popped out :( now i have door rattle till i fix it lol bht i could blame that on riding style
Better than A-arm bushings and a rattle in the suspension!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

X500 :D

Do not worry about Honda dependability, their reliability in general is one of the key selling points and basis of their success. Sure there are idiots who can destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet but that is the exception more than the rule. I have ridden Hondas for over 40 years and not once have I ever had to walk home and 20+ years ago I punished them hard and they took it all in stride. Scheduled maintenance is all the routinely need. Some people say, "drive it like you stole it", I say drive it like you paid for it and you will not have any problems. The P500 has been out for a full year today and there is no known systemic reliability issues that I have been able to find out about.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I have seen a FEW people mention some shifting issues, getting stuck in a gear, it was some sort of electrical connection that came loose I believe. That is about all I have seen...

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Nothing major. Knock on wood.
Only a rattling on the rear brake that developed yesterday. When I step on brake it stops.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Coming on 2 years now, 3200 Kms. Lots of work on P5 nothing related to poor reliability, it's been an awesome Honda product. Warrenty changed out the shocks for the better (ride), I've done lots of additional mods that has increased user value to me. For a first version this little rig is beyond what I expected, sure it would be nice to have a front locker but in my 3200 plus Kms I can think of only once where it would have made a difference. Very steep pipeline access road, dragging belly pan in mud and deep ruts uphill, stock tires (first week of ownership), spun out had to back down and try again. Workmate's Honda Foreman 500 with front locker and E-steering powered right by us.....
E-steering is on the list and some sort of cab heat for winter, along with 1/2 doors, so much fun messing with it. Should probably check valve tolerances at some point.

j

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Have had my P500 for 13 months with just over 1000 miles on it. Not one issue with the machine. Additionally I use it to mowing with a 52" wide trail cutter at 3mph so I have a lot of engine hours at that low speed towing as well, not just casual trail riding. Very happy with it.

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
1300 for me. 1000 with 26" tires and 1.5" extenders. Had to recently replace front pads. Most likely dirt caused them too get held up. This time I used DuPont chain lube on slides.

I managed to suck a large amount of mud and water in intake. Did six oil changes to clean it. But it has been working perfect for many miles. So I'm pretty happy. My only complaint is needs sixth gear. Especially now that I added some low end torque with a hmf

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
1300 for me. 1000 with 26" tires and 1.5" extenders. Had to recently replace front pads. Most likely dirt caused them too get held up. This time I used DuPont chain lube on slides.

I managed to suck a large amount of mud and water in intake. Did six oil changes to clean it. But it has been working perfect for many miles. So I'm pretty happy. My only complaint is needs sixth gear. Especially now that I added some low end torque with a hmf
did u add the kn filter it helps smooth it out a bit

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
2 years,2000 miles, changed out gearboxes with synthetic oil at 250 miles, nothing but oil changes and air filter cleaning since.change oil religiously when the little wrench tells me to.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!