Removing Loctite and Wheel Spacers

S

Scamih

Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m moving 1 inch spacers from the back to the front and putting 2” on the back. Any advice on removing wheel spacers with red loctite. I only have a small torch you but at Walmart.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m moving 1 inch spacers from the back to the front and putting 2” on the back. Any advice on removing wheel spacers with red loctite. I only have a small torch you but at Walmart.
You can remove fasteners held by red loctite with just a breaker bar. Put a cheater bar on it if needed.

Or just use a decent impact gun (battery or air) and it will usually bust them loose.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Is it red Loctite or was it blue Loctite in the red bottle?

In some cases, you'll need heat to weaken the bond on the (actual) red Loctite.

Reactions: Remington
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’m moving 1 inch spacers from the back to the front and putting 2” on the back. Any advice on removing wheel spacers with red loctite. I only have a small torch you but at Walmart
You can remove fasteners held by red loctite with just a breaker bar. Put a cheater bar on it if needed.

Or just use a decent impact gun (battery or air) and it will usually bust them loose.
agree - every time I replace sprocket bolts on a dirt bike - there is red loctite and never even considered heating them.....

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’m moving 1 inch spacers from the back to the front and putting 2”
I had 2”ers on the back for a short time. Hated the look. Way too wide. Kinda fuced things up a few different ways if you will. I was robbing Peter to pay Paul with more out of my pocketbook in the end.🤣
What you going for a wider stance?

Reactions: Backwoods
S

Scamih

Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Little wider, little more stability. Every year I get back from Tennessee I change stuff. Last year it cost me 1600$, this year trying 1 thing. I was happy with super atv an arms , rcshocks, 30 in tusk terabite.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Little wider, little more stability. Every year I get back from Tennessee I change stuff. Last year it cost me 1600$, this year trying 1 thing. I was happy with super atv an arms , rcshocks, 30 in tusk terabite.
I did it for the same thing. The extra 1” on either side didnt make that much difference (NoHmo)
Just messed up the suspension geometry like a bracket lift and a touch more strain on the hub bearings . Went back to RB3 wide track bundle, 1.5&1 it settled it down quite a bit.
Also, dont need to put lock tight on those. Torque them down is all you got to do. When your wheel is on and the lugs on those are torqued it aint going nowhere

S

Scamih

Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think what you’re suggesting is that I call RB3 in the morning and tell them to ship me 1.5 inch instead of 2 inch. Sounds like I’ll be happier. Lesson learned next time I’ll post what I’m thinking about doing. I like to be able to bounce stuff off of you guys.

advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think what you’re suggesting is that I call RB3 in the morning and tell them to ship me 1.5 inch instead of 2 inch. Sounds like I’ll be happier. Lesson learned next time I’ll post what I’m thinking about doing. I like to be able to bounce stuff off of you guys.
Ummm, Dude - don't lissen to these guys, they'll spend every penny of yer disposable income for the next decade. DAMHIK. :oops:

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I did it for the same thing. The extra 1” on either side didnt make that much difference (NoHmo)
Just messed up the suspension geometry like a bracket lift and a touch more strain on the hub bearings . Went back to RB3 wide track bundle, 1.5&1 it settled it down quite a bit.
Also, dont need to put lock tight on those. Torque them down is all you got to do. When your wheel is on and the lugs on those are torqued it aint going nowhere

The one time I didn't use lock tight on my spacers lol. It could have been half ass torqued but it made it all day before it finally fell off. I just use the blue stuff and never had a issue since.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
View attachment 433715
The one time I didn't use lock tight on my spacers lol. It could have been half ass torqued but it made it all day before it finally fell off. I just use the blue stuff and never had a issue since.
Yeah u must have not torqued them.
technically you shouldn't have to use locite
On that. We dont on our regular lugs without spacers🤷🏻‍♂️🤣
I guess being a trades guy as Iam, its burned in me If you put Stuff on things that shouldn't be on in the first place if did your job right and the next guy has a hell of a time removing it makibg the hob take longer than it should you catch hell lol. Thats why I tell my apprentices, works smarter, not harder lol

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I used blue loctite on my spacers A. Because the RB3 instructions said to, and B. I can easily double check wheel lugnuts as it sits. I’d have to break out the jack and remove a wheel to check spacer nuts. I’m far less likely to do all that.