P1000 Removing rear ROPS/Two piece roof

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all......got a few questions related to picking a new roof for my 1000-5. I bought my Pioneer primarily as a work machine so I plan to run without the rear ROPS a lot of the time to ease access to the bed. First question is that is there any problem with doing that that you know of? Obviously I won't use the rear seats in that configuration and it appears to be easy on/easy off so no temptation there. Given that plan.....I'm hoping to get a two piece roof so I can keep cover in both configurations without buying two roofs. By all accounts, S&S Fabrications does good work so I'm leaning toward their roof. Has anyone bought the S&S roof for their 5 seater? If so, what are your impressions? Easy install? Look good? Any other roofs I should be considering? Thanks.

blaplant

blaplant

Nov 28, 2016
Wesley Chapel FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i have a 5 seat and i removed my rear cage and run with a three seat honda roof and love it. We mostly have just two people in the sxs but every now and then we have four and just take the trails a little easier due to no seat belts back there. I will be making a custom cage soon that will have 45deg bars running down the side of the bed to make it a little sportier and add a bar that can be bolting on and have four point harnesses for when we do ride with others. let me know i you need any pics

Reactions: Ridem32 and JTW
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Of course we need pictures!

Reactions: JTW
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i have a 5 seat and i removed my rear cage and run with a three seat honda roof and love it. We mostly have just two people in the sxs but every now and then we have four and just take the trails a little easier due to no seat belts back there. I will be making a custom cage soon that will have 45deg bars running down the side of the bed to make it a little sportier and add a bar that can be bolting on and have four point harnesses for when we do ride with others. let me know i you need any pics

Yeah, pictures would be great. Love pictures. The plan sounds awesome.

blaplant

blaplant

Nov 28, 2016
Wesley Chapel FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, pictures would be great. Love pictures. The plan sounds awesome.

Let me know if you need anything additional. Looking to start mocking up the new cage in about two months once work slows down

IMG 3799 IMG 3801 IMG 3802 IMG 3813

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hey all......got a few questions related to picking a new roof for my 1000-5. I bought my Pioneer primarily as a work machine so I plan to run without the rear ROPS a lot of the time to ease access to the bed. First question is that is there any problem with doing that that you know of? Obviously I won't use the rear seats in that configuration and it appears to be easy on/easy off so no temptation there. Given that plan.....I'm hoping to get a two piece roof so I can keep cover in both configurations without buying two roofs. By all accounts, S&S Fabrications does good work so I'm leaning toward their roof. Has anyone bought the S&S roof for their 5 seater? If so, what are your impressions? Easy install? Look good? Any other roofs I should be considering? Thanks.
Why don't you save $ and get the pioneer 3

advertisement
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why don't you save $ and get the pioneer 3

Good question......I was going to for those reasons, but my wife and I decided we wanted to ability to bring the grandparents for rides on our property when they visit. When I saw the rear ROPS was removable, that sealed the deal. I figured I would just figure out the roof situation later....so here I am. I definitely want a roof because our property is heavily wooded and untouched so I don't want any widowmakers coming down on us as we blaze trails. Another reason I like the idea of a metal roof.

Reactions: ohanacreek
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Good question......I was going to for those reasons, but my wife and I decided we wanted to ability to bring the grandparents for rides on our property when they visit. When I saw the rear ROPS was removable, that sealed the deal. I figured I would just figure out the roof situation later....so here I am. I definitely want a roof because our property is heavily wooded and untouched so I don't want any widowmakers coming down on us as we blaze trails. Another reason I like the idea of a metal roof.
Your grandparents might not like it in the back maybe grandchildren like I put in the back seats.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your grandparents might not like it in the back maybe grandchildren like I put in the back seats.
Yeah, we'll see. I tried the backseat for the first time the other day and it was tight, but not terrible. These will be short rides and the 'rents aren't as tall as me so hopefully it'll be okay.

Reactions: JTW
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yeah, we'll see. I tried the backseat for the first time the other day and it was tight, but not terrible. These will be short rides and the 'rents aren't as tall as me so hopefully it'll be okay.
Maybe they can put you in the back and your grandparents can be in the front

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
To quote Roy D Mercer. "How bigga boy are ya?"
Just hard on old people and the dust is terrible in the back younger people can handle the back better. and if your bigger it's harder to get in and out.

Reactions: Jshell3
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I've thought about this as well. Why couldn't you take the 5 seat top and cut it straight across where the rear rops removes? You could then attach a piece of rubber to create a "flap" basically so water doesn't fall through the cut when you have to rear top and roll Cage on. Thoughts? @CumminsPusher this sounds like something you would cut and make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!