Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So I've thought about this as well. Why couldn't you take the 5 seat top and cut it straight across where the rear rops removes? You could then attach a piece of rubber to create a "flap" basically so water doesn't fall through the cut when you have to rear top and roll Cage on. Thoughts? @CumminsPusher this sounds like something you would cut and make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's something that could be done. The rear section of the roof would have to sit under front for a good seal.
Now if the front section was moved back only a 1/4" so the windshield would still seal correctly and the back section were moved forward 1/2" (have to drill new holes for the brackets) you'd have overlap in the center of 3/4 and I think a thin automotive grade weatherstrip would work.
I say this because chopping the roof like I did changes the length of the upper frame and actually lengthens it and it's still got original roof panel. So there is some play there to work with.
Ok that being said now you'd be solid attached front/rear but center will require something for the rear section to be held up by the front. I'll take look shortly and check it out.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's something that could be done. The rear section of the roof would have to sit under front for a good seal.
Now if the front section was moved back only a 1/4" so the windshield would still seal correctly and the back section were moved forward 1/2" (have to drill new holes for the brackets) you'd have overlap in the center of 3/4 and I think a thin automotive grade weatherstrip would work.
I say this because chopping the roof like I did changes the length of the upper frame and actually lengthens it and it's still got original roof panel. So there is some play there to work with.
Ok that being said now you'd be solid attached front/rear but center will require something for the rear section to be held up by the front. I'll take look shortly and check it out.

Exactly my thought. The front overlapped the rear because of the majority of the travel is forwards so water would run off. Hell as tight as that hard velcro is these days if you could overlap by an inch and use that it might work...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Exactly my thought. The front overlapped the rear because of the majority of the travel is forwards so water would run off. Hell as tight as that hard velcro is these days if you could overlap by an inch and use that it might work...

You very well could get an inch. My upper rails are 1.5 longer then stock and the roof still fits but it gets dicey where the windshield meets the roof because that meeting point changes.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I've thought about this as well. Why couldn't you take the 5 seat top and cut it straight across where the rear rops removes? You could then attach a piece of rubber to create a "flap" basically so water doesn't fall through the cut when you have to rear top and roll Cage on. Thoughts? @CumminsPusher this sounds like something you would cut and make?

I see what you're saying. I'm sure it could work. How would you finish off the back so that it would look okay in the 3-person configuration? I was considering what you've described and thought maybe if you cut a bigger section out of the middle, you could wrap the ends in foam or something and then have the two pieces of foam butt against one another to make the seal when the rear ROPS is installed.

That said, I don't trust myself to make this not look like a complete disaster so I'd probably opt for something pre-designed and fabricated. I'm fair at the destruction and rebuild phase, but when I get to the finish/polish phase I tend to lose interest and ideas.

I'm surprised no one has chimed in on their experience with the S&S two piece roof? No one has given it a try yet?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think just a door edge molding across the cut edges. Maybe aluminum angle support inside.
Honestly if everything was measured out several times and really thought out this would be great. I know there are a few who have looked into this and a few more who'd be interested but I don't think the numbers are high enough for aftermarket. Think it'll have to be designed and home built.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't seen the Honda roof in person so it's hard for me to picture. I agree it would be a great solution for quite a few folks here. I wish I could do it and report back...I just don't have the time right now between getting the property ready to build, remodeling my current house and wrangling a 3yo. I'll try to get over to the dealer and get a look at one though. I looked again at the S&S roof on his FB page and I'm less thrilled with it. I think he's up around $750 and for that I could buy both the 3p and 5p roof. Maybe that's why no one has given it a go. I'm not saying it isn't worth that...just need to consider the options.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I haven't seen the Honda roof in person so it's hard for me to picture. I agree it would be a great solution for quite a few folks here. I wish I could do it and report back...I just don't have the time right now between getting the property ready to build, remodeling my current house and wrangling a 3yo. I'll try to get over to the dealer and get a look at one though. I looked again at the S&S roof on his FB page and I'm less thrilled with it. I think he's up around $750 and for that I could buy both the 3p and 5p roof. Maybe that's why no one has given it a go. I'm not saying it isn't worth that...just need to consider the options.
If you had both it would be a very simple process to change once the brackets are adjusted correctly. Personally I think that's best route if you can do that. I really like the Honda roof they are very tough

Reactions: ripHST
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like the Honda roof they are very tough

that's good to hear......I'm not worried about sun and rain so much as I am dead branches. Thanks CP.....if I end up picking up the big roof and think I have the stamina for a mod, I might try to pull you and @nbomar in again.

J

JTW

Just a thought on your roof choice.. the side of the rops takes a lot of hits. One thing that's nice about the Honda roof is the clamps that hold it are located on the rops inside the outter perimeter bar.. this means there are no clamps to get caught on something when the machine is sliding the top rops against a tree or whatever.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I might know where you could score a used 5P Honda roof reasonably priced. Only one hole in it but it's on the side so no leaks.

advertisement
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a thought on your roof choice.. the side of the rops takes a lot of hits. One thing that's nice about the Honda roof is the clamps that hold it are located on the rops inside the outter perimeter bar.. this means there are no clamps to get caught on something when the machine is sliding the top rops against a tree or whatever.

great to know....thanks. I think you guys have me sold.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

great to know....thanks. I think you guys have me sold.
I really like the looks of the SuperATV tinted roof.. but having not seen one in person I just don't know that it will be as durable as the Honda. Buy a used one as lots of these guys are chopping tops!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yours? could you PM me a couple of pics?
I don't get off work til 7:30 central time. I can do it then. I live in middle TN so keep that in mind. Shipping really isn't an option.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't get off work til 7:30 central time. I can do it then. I live in middle TN so keep that in mind. Shipping really isn't an option.

sorry, got side tracked. Yeah, don't sweat it Delton. I didn't consider your location, and that's a big item.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like the looks of the SuperATV tinted roof.. but having not seen one in person I just don't know that it will be as durable as the Honda. Buy a used one as lots of these guys are chopping tops!

I like the idea of this one too.....it's a form of polycarbonate I guess so it should hold up pretty well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!