TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
oh..................... yes, not sure if this is normal but it doesnt seem normal, if i remove the oil fill cap or dip stick while its running, oil will blow out..........like there is a crap load of crank case pressure?
It's normal. I left the oil fill cap off once during a oil change. Started it to warm the machine up so I could check the oil and it blowed oil out everywhere lol

River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
what is this one way bearing you speak of? are you talking about the one with the thrust washer that fits snug in the clutch basket? i didn't know that was directional but i don't remember a seal on it? maybe im confused.......

but, ive got an oil pressure gauge that im trying to find a test port to fit it to so i can see what the oil pressure is doing....................well, let me rephrase that, custom making an adapter so that my automotive gauge set will fit the test port.....lol....

i wouldn't doubt that the oil pick up tube is clogged or that i put a bearing in wrong......now i didn't pull the large cover to the left off, the one with the oil cooler,................ lol.......now if it was a jet ski........been doing those for over 25 years............i guess i need to snap a pic of my turbo aquatrax.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here's a video of the oil pressure, it shifts around 5k at about 90-100psi

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
im not smart enough to attach hondatechs pdf, but here is a pic or 2 of the
IMG 8596
troubleshooting guide
IMG 8595

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Uhhhh.......... Long pause......... There was no seal on that bearing........ I wonder if someone else was in this thing before? I did take that bearing out as well as the thrust washer to clean it but it definitely did not have that seal

H

HondaTech

Uhhhh.......... Long pause......... There was no seal on that bearing........ I wonder if someone else was in this thing before? I did take that bearing out as well as the thrust washer to clean it but it definitely did not have that seal

What thrust washer are you talking about?
There shouldn't be anything under the the bearing, nor anything on top of it.

If the seal is missing, that could very well be the issue.

If you take it apart again, get some pictures.

H

HondaTech

Let me read through this thread again, I just realized you had a 16 model without the updated cover.

River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank you, I pulled everything apart again and there is no seal on that bearing.

Yes, it's a 16 model w/o the updated clutch cover. I'll order a new bearing, just incase whilst I wait on the updated cover.

Again, thanks for all y'alls help.

I call it a thrust washer but it's a machined washer, there is one on inside and outside of the gear that goes in the clutch baskets

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thank you, I pulled everything apart again and there is no seal on that bearing.

Yes, it's a 16 model w/o the updated clutch cover. I'll order a new bearing, just incase whilst I wait on the updated cover.

I have a 16 P1-5, I burnt up two clutch packs right out of the gate, Honda installed the updated clutch cover # 3 clutch pack has over 3'000 miles and going strong. Good luck!

H

HondaTech

I call it a thrust washer but it's a machined washer, there is one on inside and outside of the gear that goes in the clutch baskets

The thrust washers go under the clutch guides (splines center pieces of clutch) on top of the clutch pack. They shouldn't be visible when the clutch is assembled.

What all did you order when you purchased the updated cover? Did you get just the cover?

Since you didn't get the sealed bearing, I'd assume you didn't get the kit with all the accessories.

River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
all i did so far was replace the clutch packs, o-rings, split rings, gasets, oil and filter, relearn process 50 times.............before I knew there was an update.....lol

ordered just the cover before i ever read the recall......or new there was a recall.
which makes me wonder where the he!! that cover is? but yes, I blindly ordered parts before doing any research about the issue. I just thought i was going to do a strait forward, clutch job, obviously the old one was burnt, it really only needed one but hey, while im in there, might as well do both........

but i was under the assumption, if this machine lasted 10k miles with the old cover, surely it should be fine until I get the updated cover/bearing/parts (as a kit)............that way i can work out any bugs or issues now that it runs and drives so much better because it needed a LOT of work but I got it cheap...........uh, cough, free.....trade, you get the idea......

*but, the manual i downloaded on here, on page 11-48 shows the bearing w/o the seal.
*so is the new sealed bearing with the updated cover? and the non sealed with the old style?
*and can't find the screenshot pic in this manual, anywhere, nor can I find where to hook my gauge up to check trans oil psi like the pics you sent (DRZRon1).......I can't find that anywhere that DRZRon1 posted, is that a different manual?

so i'll go re-read the recall, but I thought it was pretty much everything ive already replaced, but i didn't get the kit.

Last edited:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
That looks really low. I had 110 psi at idle and 130 psi max rev'ed up. I had my clutches start out of the blue reving between shifts. Checked everything and couldnt find an issue, Bought a used valve body and cover off ebay and swapped all the sensors and was good to go again. All of the original sensors checked out per the manual but there was an issue somewhere. I read oil pressure right behind the trans filter where a bolt seals off the oil path. I would still pull the oil pan and check the pickup screen. Also, did you check the screen in the valve body? Little round mesh screen. Bearing should be sealed on the back as oil flows in and around the shaft on the end.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
what I posted is from hondatech - he has an internal troubleshooting document he shared but I cant seem to link it for ya but it is on this forum somewhere

I may have confused you, my apologies, I don't know if that is for a machine with an updated clutch cover or if the non-updated clutch uses different bearing, etc..........my bad

River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
snuffnwhisky: thanks, i'll check trans oil pressure one day lol..........its all torn down right now but those oil pressures i posted are the engine, which was plumbed right next to the dipstick. yes i cleaned that little round filter which was spotless btw. im fixin to lift er up on some tall stands, drop the skid plate and remove the oil pan and check the oil pick up, if its dirty, i'll clean it, put it back together and run it.

drzron1, no apologies......you didn't do anything wrong lol, i just spent like 2hrs looking for that second screenshot and can't find it in the manual lol

River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
no sealed bearing or oil jet. i didn't know about the oil jet........again, no new cover yet, or any updated parts. just new clutches, cleaning and oil change and a whole lotta slip.

again, i just thought it would not slip like this, even with the old case setup.

imho, and i could be wrong but, the update just extends the life of the outer clutch pack.......it won't solve slipping in every gear? again, i could be wrong, but i thought it just increased oil flow to the outer pack. but since this slips in all gears, wouldn't it be a pressure issue, not just an issue of extra oil flow to the outer pack?

i did remove the oil pan yesterday and clean the oil pump pick up, there was old clutch material in it but not the amount that would have put up a red flag. so ive got clean oil pump pick up, clean plastic rectangle filter, clean oil filter and clean small round filter near the solenoid pack. nothing is clogged, everything looks great. im not sure why it slips like this without the update parts, it can't be normal and theres no way it lasted 10k miles slipping like this.

im just worried after i install the updated parts that its still going to do it.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

I was under the impression you has already installed the cover. So ignore my suggestions so far.

Can you send a picture of the clutch assembly in the unit?

You really need to remove the oil tank and rear cover spacer to clean the debris from the system and to set the drive gear on the crank. But that shouldn't cause the issues you having I don't believe.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Right there is 2 plugs that you can check trans pressure. If its not in the 100-130 psi range, idle and reving in park, you have a leak or pump problem. I would check that first. I used a banjo fitting and bolt.

Oil

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!