P1000 replaced clutchs and still slips between shifts

River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i recently replaced the clutches due to them being burnt, and the unit still slips between shifts at partial throttle, wot shifts fine.

its a 2016, sxs1000m5dg, ive done the clutch relearn several times and it does not have the updated clutch cover. it took about 20 tries to get the clutch relearn to actually take, with the oil warmed up, i followed the procedure in the manual over and over until it was stuck in my dreams.

my question is, will the updated clutch cover fix the slipping?

i removed and cleaned everything, getting all clutch/burnt deposits out, cleaned the solenoids/valve body. did a full service on the machine, spark plugs, air filter, pre filter, oil and both filters as well as the front trans under the seat.

when the machine is cold, it shifts a lot better between gears only a few hundred rpms between shifts, as it warms up, it climbs a couple thousand rpm between shift. so if im at 2k and it goes to shift, it goes to 4-5k before it shifts.

when i put the new clutches on, i noticed one clutch pack sits closer to the center gear than the other clutch pack and didn't pay attention to how it went when removing. but when i installed the new clutches, the gears seemed to line up perfectly and the cover when on smooth by hand like nothing was in a bind, but the back of my mind is wondering if i put it on backwards?

im at a loss as to why it slips so much between shifts, weather its in at or mt, dosn't matter on the slippage but im not driving it much because I don't want to damage the new clutches. I did soak them for 24hrs before installing them like we do on motorcycles.

sorry for the lengthy post, ive ordered the upated clutch cover and will put it on when it arrives but i don't think thats going to fix the slipping, just keep the front clutch cooler to last longer.

thanks

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from the now lib run state of Michigan

Sorry ur first post is a problem. I'm guessing u haven't checked the search up top? We have hundreds of threads on similar issues about clutches that might get u an answer. I'll post a link of what immediately came up when I searched. Hopefully @HondaTech will pipein to help u as well.

One other thing we request when u join is more Info on your rig and and most importantly pics, not with it broke, but when she looks her best. #POIDH.

River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
its a 2016 pioneer 1000
its got 10713 miles on it.
ill have to get a pic of it on my phone since im on a desktop.
yes i used the search function first but didn't find any posts about clutch slipping after it was replaced and relearned.
i did watch several videos and the clutch was installed correctly when i put it in, and cleaned the snot out of everything, just like in the videos.

i'll try to post a video of what it does when driving as well but its kinda raining right now but if it clears up, ill take a video and picture.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
its a 2016 pioneer 1000
its got 10713 miles on it.
ill have to get a pic of it on my phone since im on a desktop.
yes i used the search function first but didn't find any posts about clutch slipping after it was replaced and relearned.
Are you the first owner and has it ever had the clutch update before?

When U search, you have to broaden your words. you cant use the exact of your issue, odds are knowone had had exact and has worded it the same, but in some of the clutch threads it might have come up. Also, use the threadloom reaults, you will go deeper in to the forum like Johny Wad!!

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I'm not sure what your meaning when you say RPM raises between shifts.So a video sure would help. Mine makes a raise in rpm between shifts at times as well . If I'm easy on the gas [ like just barely enough speed etc to be at the shift time] when it shifts at times it's almost as if it's lazy in engaging if I'm a little bit harder on the gas between shifts it engages instantly . It's really noticeable with the tracks on compared to the tires. But this only happens if I'm easy on the gas between shifts., or I should also mention that it will do this only between 1st and 2nd , every other gear is okay or so I think as just riding around my trails etc; 2nd is about as fast as I go. This has done this for the last 2 years since owning it. From what I know it had the clutch ,& cover update before I bought it. So if you come up with a cure post the cure. Thanks. The clutches etc: on mine don't slip under a load so I'm almost thinking something to do with the shift solenoids. other then that it works like its supposed to do most of the time. LOL.

River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
the machine is new to me, got it used from one owner who has 2 of them with burned up clutch packs. both burnt. i'll post pics of those as well, hes very hard on his machines with very little maintenance.

it has never had the clutch update nor ever been to the dealer from what the old owner said, he said he did all the maintenance himself.

lets say im at 1/4 throttle and taking off,
when going into first gear, it almost kills the engine and both tires spin, in fact, some times it kills the engine.
continuing on at 1/4 throttle, rpm goes from like 2500-4500 as it slips into second
it will repeat this slipping in rpm for every gear and gets worse as it warms up, meaning it will slip even more.

the only time it shifts fine is at wide open throttle or if im barely on the throttle and just creeping around.

it was raining the last few days but itll be in the upper 70's low 80's the next couple of days and i'll get a video of what it does.

the old owner said it should shift just like a car does, smooth between all gears at any rpm or throttle position.

im thinking of taking everything back apart again and double checking everything, even though from the videos i watched and the information ive found on here says/shows i put everything together properly.

i'll keep trying the search but haven't found a post about slipping clutch's after they have been replaced, all the posts say that the new clutch pack fixed the issue.

River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Replaced all o rings and split rings and still does the same thing. I've got videos this time lol sorry for the delay......
I've got several videos if you have trouble with this one.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to ask the obvious, but what kind of oil are you using? If you're not using wet clutch compatible oil, you could have issues there...

River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
im running valvoline atv/sxs 10w40, and YES its crossed our minds several times that the oil is just too slick for the clutches to bite at a slight throttle, and by the way, WOT doesn't slip, it shifts very firm. thanks for all yall's help

River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had to lift the bed to get to everything easier. I fought that thing trying to get it out but I guess you need to remove the cage? And a picture of the burnt clutches

16722616065994632148608685603809 16722618301577542595292073177522 16722621984245349749067834486560

Last edited:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Did you disassemble the valve body and clean good? Clean the screen and pressure sensors in the VB? Oil pan pickup needs to be cleaned also. Guy lost crank bearings from clutch fibers clogging the pickup. What year is it? 2016 and I think 17 has a clutch cover update that needs to be done.

H

HondaTech

What did the clutches look like this time while replacing the rings?

Did you verify the large cover bearing is in correctly?

I'd be interested in what the clutch oil pressure is at idle and when the clutch finally engages.

River Ridge

River Ridge

Nov 29, 2022
Navasota tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3
its a 2016 and hasn't had the clutch cover update but its on order.

i cleaned the valve body the best i could as well as the sensors, i mean other than removing them and blasting them with brake cleaner...........i mean i guess i could have hooked power up to them like an injector and get brake cleaner through them? im not sure how to clean the inside guts of them.

the clutchs looked fine when i removed them, the bearing is seated properly, gears ligned up, cover went on all the way, nothing in a bind. ive had this thing apart so many times i could do it in my sleep.

now i did not clean the oil pump pick up tube? not even sure where thats located at, i removed the drains, filled up a 2.5 gallon pump sprayer with e85 and blasted the inside of the engine from every angle that i could reach whilst i had the covers removed, draining all the soot out from the burnt clutchs. replaced both filters.......................etc.......and i used all 2.5 gallons up, the e85 works really well and is cheaper than going through a bunch of cans of cleaner......

oh..................... yes, not sure if this is normal but it doesnt seem normal, if i remove the oil fill cap or dip stick while its running, oil will blow out..........like there is a crap load of crank case pressure?

thanks for all the help, i do have an oil pressure guage i can use to see what the oil pressure is....

in the video, if you notice right when i take off......it lugs the engine down slightly and both tires spin slightly.......sometimes it will even kill the engine because it engages so hard, then slips in every gear lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!