P700 Replacing cv boot

W

wataboy

Dec 22, 2016
SoGA
Ownership

1. 700-4
My passenger side rear outer boot tore a while back & I'm just getting around to replacing it. It was a little stickier than the inboard joint when rotated by hand but hasn't been clicking or popping while riding. When I got it apart two of the balls were stuck in the cage. A small tap knocked them loose.. There also looks to be some heat marks on the inside of the cup.(pic is after cleaning) Gonna reassemble anyway and see how long it'll last. Any other thoughts welcome.

IMG 1177 IMG 1179

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My passenger side rear outer boot tore a while back & I'm just getting around to replacing it. It was a little stickier than the inboard joint when rotated by hand but hasn't been clicking or popping while riding. When I got it apart two of the balls were stuck in the cage. A small tap knocked them loose.. There also looks to be some heat marks on the inside of the cup.(pic is after cleaning) Gonna reassemble anyway and see how long it'll last. Any other thoughts welcome.

View attachment 219467 View attachment 219470
Wouldn't be worth my time to do it twice personally so I'd just replace it....assuming I could get parts timely vs. filling the need to ride.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
If it feels good assembled, I'd run it. From a wear standpoint, they usually give you plenty of warning before they dump.

W

wataboy

Dec 22, 2016
SoGA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the tips. Once assembled it was as smooth as the inboard joint. Hadn't done one of these in 25+ years. Reminded me of a Rubik's cube.lol.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the tips. Once assembled it was as smooth as the inboard joint. Hadn't done one of these in 25+ years. Reminded me of a Rubik's cube.lol.
Bonus! Hopefully it holds up for years then.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!