P500 Researching a P500. 2015 vs 2016 (or wait for 2017)?

R

RockHopper

Aug 29, 2016
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All,

I'm currently researching SxS options. I'm in Newfoundland, Eastern Canada & while we don't have trail width restrictions a 50"(ish) machine makes a lot of sense as we I do like to ride tighter trails & I'm guessing I can get a P500 and my Arctic Cat ATV to fit together on a trailer reasonably easily.

Idea behind a SxS is to get the whole family out riding. I've had an Arctic Cat TRV 2 up machine for years & my eldest daughter is now tall enough to ride on it safely. The youngest (4) is pretty small for her age so needs to be in a car seat which means SxS rather than another ATV. Anyone put a standard automotive kids car seat into their P500? Looks to be straightforward enough using the 3 point seatbelt. We can then ride as a family with one parent and a kid on the ATV and the P500. Suspect there might be a bit of a fight over who gets to ride what! (Although the Mrs definitely favours ATV's over SxS'!)

The P500 hits the right price point for me, and if, of course a Honda. Other alternatives are a RZR (but thats a polaris) or Wildcat Trail. I have a good Cat dealer nearby but I don't get good feedback on AC SxS's in general.

Local dealer has 2016's new & one a few hours drive away has a 2015 with <400miles on it at a $1k discount. Is there any appreciable difference between 2015 and 2016 that should sway a purchase decision? Not sure when 2017's are coming in to Canada - suspect we might be behind the states.

Rockhopper

Last edited:
Reactions: Jshell3
C

Chooglin

There is no difference between the 15's and 16's , the only change between the two , was color option !

Last edited by a moderator:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Probably wait fort he 17 because of auto mode and slightly better shocks but it does also have some annoying safety items such as a speed limiter for seat belts and a safety bar inside as well.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
My guess would be late September, October for 2017 model. Also (for me anyways), would be price difference, for me the auto shift is not a big deal. I like to shift, with my Rubicon I'd always manual shift it as I didn't care for the factory shift strategy. Thinking the recall on shocks with the Canadian versions would be a wash for the 15 and 16 versus the 17. Anyone know what the price point of the 17s are? In respect to colour 2015 Green is really the only good colour :)

Reactions: rocmar and Jshell3
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
MSRP +$500 for the 2017's

2017 = $8995.
15/16 = $8495.
Depends wat part
of the country ....
you make your
purchase ....
prices vary

R

RockHopper

Aug 29, 2016
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Interesting. There's nothing on 2017 models at all on the Honda Canada website. I'll have to ask the Dealer what they know. The Auto gearbox would be useful as I think my wife would get on better with that than manual. Whether I'm prepared to wait however long for a 17 is another question!

MSRP for a Pioneer 500 base in Canada is C$10999+taxes & delivery. Thats about US$8400 or so on current exchange rate. The 2015 model with <400km on the clock is $9800. That's tempting!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Interesting. There's nothing on 2017 models at all on the Honda Canada website. I'll have to ask the Dealer what they know. The Auto gearbox would be useful as I think my wife would get on better with that than manual. Whether I'm prepared to wait however long for a 17 is another question!

MSRP for a Pioneer 500 base in Canada is C$10999+taxes & delivery. Thats about US$8400 or so on current exchange rate. The 2015 model with <400km on the clock is $9800. That's tempting!
Welcome to the forum RH, good luck with your decision and purchase.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I think the gearing on the output shaft is different on the 17, and not in a good way. I see the gear reductions that have been popular for the Foreman's coming back into style soon.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Honda calls them torso bars. They are supposed to keep you in the vehicle a little bit better

Sent from iPhone

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It's the bar along the side. They made it taller on the '17.
So Honda made us remove the safety compliance sticker, modified the shocks and heightened the safety bar to help keep people in on a roll over, But some folks still deny the tippiness of the P5. I hope the P5 doesn't go the way of the Rhino.

C

Chooglin

So Honda made us remove the safety compliance sticker, modified the shocks and heightened the safety bar to help keep people in on a roll over, But some folks still deny the tippiness of the P5. I hope the P5 doesn't go the way of the Rhino.
If there is a problem with the p500 toppling over , it is because they are exceeding the limitations of the machine....PERIOD !!!!!!!!

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
If there is a problem with the p500 toppling over , it is because they are exceeding the limitations of the machine....PERIOD !!!!!!!!
Totally disagree...I have tipped mine twice. The first time I attribute to driver error (I backed down a hill in the dark and hit a side wrong)...the second was coming out of a simple mud hole and it tipped relatively easy...It might have not tipped if I had the sway bar unlocked, however in NO way should that have tipped...I will say the way you worded that though could be said with any machine :) however with the heighth of the machine, it was easy to tip back over-LOL

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That sounds authoritative Chooglin. Then let's just agree that the limitations of the P5 are lower than most SXS's. My Polaris ranger has three times the mileage of my P5 and not only have I never had it on its side, I've never been close. People add spacers, offset wheels, remove sway bars, etc., in an effort to increase the stability of the P5. I respectfully disagree with your assertion.

J

Jshell3

Agreed. Tho, I would suspect most tip overs are from uneven terrain or slope, as opposed to fast driving. It's pretty flat around here where I ride in Mississippi. And I drive pretty slow. :)

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

That sounds authoritative Chooglin. Then let's just agree that the limitations of the P5 are lower than most SXS's. My Polaris ranger has three times the mileage of my P5 and not only have I never had it on its side, I've never been close. People add spacers, offset wheels, remove sway bars, etc., in an effort to increase the stability of the P5. I respectfully disagree with your assertion.
This subject has been beaten to death !
We are talking about a single machine here ,that is 50" wide and weighs 1100#. you cannot compare it to any other machine except another 50" wide machine !!!
All machines are limited to what they are capable of , just don't go beyond them !!!
Adding spacers or greater offset wheels just allows you/me to go beyond the limits of a stock machine !

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!