BOX1

Riding in the U.P. Of Michigan

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
In the U.P and L.P it is now legal to ride the snowmobile trails on state land. The stuff on private property is posted closed. So along with getting the VB maps, find a copy of the ORV and Snowmobile maps. Then- if you are going through any of the National Forests, the U.S. government site has maps of the forestry roads and identifies what is open to OHV travel and what is not. Between all that, there is probably 50 different ways to get across the U.P. Just keep in mind that you cannot ride along the side of highways (M-roads (like M-28), US highways nor interstates) otherwise it is legal to ride the shoulder of the secondary roads, unless posted closed to ORV traffic. Another great source of information is the Keweenaw ATV club. Those folks are the ones responsible for having a ORV trail system from Hancock to Copper Harbor. They have a website and a way to contact them on it. You can get lodging, food and trail conditions from them as well. Oh, if you take the trail north/south into the town of Republic, the map says they have food and gas - THEY DO NOT. My group got burned on that one. Guess the place with the pump only orders fuel in the winter for snowmobiles.

I also recommend stopping at Bond falls as well as drive out and back to see the Redridge Steel Dam site. If you are in the area around dark, stop in Paulding and see the ghost light! While in the Keweenaw, you can ride down to Gay, MI and have a meal at the Gay Bar as well as ride around on the stamp-sand beach. Also highly recommend doing the Quincy copper mine tour. There is also a self-guided tour of the Delaware mine near Mohawk.

6  back side of Redridge Steel Dam  low water 5  looking up at first trail bridge 25  Mohawk plant stack at Gay 67  rock house over shaft No6 at Quincy Mine

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
In the U.P and L.P it is now legal to ride the snowmobile trails on state land. The stuff on private property is posted closed. So along with getting the VB maps, find a copy of the ORV and Snowmobile maps. Then- if you are going through any of the National Forests, the U.S. government site has maps of the forestry roads and identifies what is open to OHV travel and what is not. Between all that, there is probably 50 different ways to get across the U.P. Just keep in mind that you cannot ride along the side of highways (M-roads (like M-28), US highways nor interstates) otherwise it is legal to ride the shoulder of the secondary roads, unless posted closed to ORV traffic. Another great source of information is the Keweenaw ATV club. Those folks are the ones responsible for having a ORV trail system from Hancock to Copper Harbor. They have a website and a way to contact them on it. You can get lodging, food and trail conditions from them as well. Oh, if you take the trail north/south into the town of Republic, the map says they have food and gas - THEY DO NOT. My group got burned on that one. Guess the place with the pump only orders fuel in the winter for snowmobiles.

I also recommend stopping at Bond falls as well as drive out and back to see the Redridge Steel Dam site. If you are in the area around dark, stop in Paulding and see the ghost light! While in the Keweenaw, you can ride down to Gay, MI and have a meal at the Gay Bar as well as ride around on the stamp-sand beach. Also highly recommend doing the Quincy copper mine tour. There is also a self-guided tour of the Delaware mine near Mohawk.

View attachment 269071 View attachment 269072 View attachment 269073 View attachment 269074

They really named it Gay Bar?

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

View attachment 269071 View attachment 269072 View attachment 269073 View attachment 269074
All very good points and true except for snowmobile trails have always been open for all ORV It’s only been the forest roads that have recently been open. The ONLY snowmobile trails that are closed and have always been closed to ORV are the ones that cross Private lands that are generally open only for snowmobiling during that part of the season with an agreement with the DNR

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
No store next door. Bar and church are the only things there. Bar has a gas pump off the side.

I have not asked at the bar, but they have a display of t-shirts behind glass that have just about every gay innuendo you can think of. Classic like "I had a foot-long at the Gay Bar" - they have a foot-long hot dog on the menu.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
No store next door. Bar and church are the only things there. Bar has a gas pump off the side.

I have not asked at the bar, but they have a display of t-shirts behind glass that have just about every gay innuendo you can think of. Classic like "I had a foot-long at the Gay Bar" - they have a foot-long hot dog on the menu.
Gay MI. And there's a bar called Gay Bar, with a church next to it. What's the church called?
Wait for it................................

😂😂😂

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
😂😂 one of my wife's favorite hotels is the Gaylord Palms in Orlando, FL.
First time she mentioned going there I about passed out from laughing so hard 😂😂😂
Theres Hell ,Mi by my house. Is small so you go through fast! You can say you just drove through Hell 🤣 😂

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Theres Hell ,Mi by my house. Is small so you go through fast! You can say you just drove through Hell 🤣 😂
Done it....

I'll usually text the Mrs on my way home to see if she needs anything before I pass Gaylord.... which my phone auto corrects to GAYlord 🤣

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If you make it to Gaylord you have to eat at Gobblers.
Best turkey sammich period.
Then for a little fancier fare there is the Sugar Bowl.
Damn I gotta eat soon.
Dam right! Good ole gobblers! The Sugar bowl is a classic! I like the Campbell Huss on old 27 as well they have great prime rib. Theres so many that way we eat at there!

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hell yes. Good food there.
I will be up at the cabin in a week or so, I will give a shout out.
If your free we can enjoy a couple of turkey sandwiches if you like.

Reactions: Remington and ChadD
M

Michiganboy

Aug 17, 2021
Grand Rapids
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Thinking of planning a ride to MI with some buddies for next year. We want to start in Northern Wisconsin and ride into Michigan. We would like to make a multi-day adventure trip and camp/motel along the way. After which, we will return to our truck/trailers in Wisconsin. Does anyone have any info. on riding in the U.P? Where to go, where to stay, places to see, cool trails?? Thanks.
94C4B507 ABC6 403F 8C7B 45B2066A7514

One of the hidden views of the UP. West of mass city.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The lower peninsula snowmobile trails that are old rail trails (at least all of them that I know of) are NOT open to ORVs. In the spring-fall, they're open to bicycle and pedestrian traffic only.

Basically, if it's long and straight for miles and miles, it's a rail trail and you're not allowed. Again, Lower Peninsula only.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!