Talon Ring & Pinnion

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
the ring &pinnion are stated to be spiral bevel gears as opposed to the straight cut gears in the pioneer. I wonder if they are stronger and or of a lower ratio. It would be nice to have another option for lowering the gearing a bit.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Also stronger. Honda has stated you could land this thing under throttle and not sweat it. Where that free wheel spin is the reason for many driveline problems in the Pioneer line.
Axles and drive shafts breakage.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Also stronger. Honda has stated you could land this thing under throttle and not sweat it. Where that free wheel spin is the reason for many driveline problems in the Pioneer line.
Well... confirmation from Honda about what I was thinking Everytime someone claims the bevel gears in the Pioneers are stronger. That's NOT what they taught us in auto tech.

Reactions: JACKAL and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well... confirmation from Honda about what I was thinking Everytime someone claims the bevel gears in the Pioneers are stronger. That's NOT what they taught us in auto tech.

“Stronger” is relative.

Might have been stronger than the bevel gears they could fit in the case. No one has broken a Pioneer ring gear that I know of.

Lots of axles, even one driveshaft.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
“Stronger” is relative.

Might have been stronger than the bevel gears they could fit in the case. No one has broken a Pioneer ring gear that I know of.

Lots of axles, even one driveshaft.
LOL...well...wouldn't that make them stronger?

I think the real advantage of bevel is that they are easier to make and set up (IE-cheaper).

Reactions: sharp
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If the talon diffs fit in pioneer and are geared lower they would be a great mod. Honda SUV’s have substantially low axle gears and the use of them takes a lot of load off of all the upstream components. It would be nice to see this philosophy used on the utvs to make the clutches much more durable.

Reactions: Yankee and sharp
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Honda should do an ecu tuning change that reduces clutch pressure when free spin is detected to reduce the shock load the drivetrain sees in those conditions. Kind of like a slipper clutch in RC trucks

Reactions: sharp
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Most likley for noises reduction. The Pioneer is terrable. I can hear it in all my videos. Makes me not want to post them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I love the sound, I also love the added Portal gear sound.

Reactions: Mudwing
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe the new stronger diffs are already planned to be in the brand new Pioneer 1250. Hehe. Just sayin.......
The Talon has i4WD just like the LE, the LE has larger diff's than the other Pioneer 1KP, I hope the Talon has the same axles the LE has; that way, maybe SuperATV will then offer a Rino axle for the LE and I can put on a 3" shock lift for my LE to complete the lift!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Talon has i4WD just like the LE, the LE has larger diff's than the other Pioneer 1KP, I hope the Talon has the same axles the LE has; that way, maybe SuperATV will then offer a Rino axle for the LE and I can put on a 3" shock lift for my LE to complete the lift!

They will have to work with Honda because the diffs have sensors in them that sense the axles rotation. It internalized sensors and shortened wires that could easily be ripped off an outboard hub.

That’s why you haven’t seen aftermarket axles for the LE yet.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Are the LE gears spiral cut?
Are they the same size front/rr?
Are the housings the same?
Is Torque Vectoring next?
I think my gear head is exploding!

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Interesting that sensors are moved in housing. Makes sense..........see what I did there.
I wonder how the Pioneer/Talon diffs compare to the lightest duty Automotive diffs Honda makes. Maybe a Civic diff with 4.25 gears is the perfect bomb proof upgrade

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting that sensors are moved in housing. Makes sense..........see what I did there.
I wonder how the Pioneer/Talon diffs compare to the lightest duty Automotive diffs Honda makes. Maybe a Civic diff with 4.25 gears is the perfect bomb proof upgrade

I believe they are based off of automotive diffs just not ones for NA automobiles.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
so are big trucks, can am and kawi brutes. they have twice the power but what really fails on both when you run over size tires and beat on it the housing cracks and the play destroys stuff. if you dont go crazy with the tires you should be fine, the honda quads dont have enough power to break much

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I believe Honda said the CV's were larger on the Talon. I know the rear housing picture of the Talon are different than the pioneer. The Pioneer standard model and LE share almost every part of the front diff.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!