Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I’m looking for a 10mm and a 25/64” drill bit right now to make something that is slightly thicker and tighter tolerance than any washer I can find. The threads on the upper a-arm bolt are @25/64” and the the shaft is close to 10mm.
Mcmastercarr. I wouldnt get it extremely tight. Might be a pita to get in if things get a little tweeked plus the lowers with the adjustments will throw it off some.

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mcmastercarr. I wouldnt get it extremely tight. Might be a pita to get in if things get a little tweeked plus the lowers with the adjustments will throw it off some.

Any looser and I might as well not do anything. The new bolts will make a HUGE difference but the holes are still wallowed out in the frame tabs. My bolts were probably 10% gone so there was a good bit of play.

They had room to move and wallowed out the holes.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like 0.406" is a standard ID. 10mm would be 0.393". McMaster-Carr Big OD but thick.

Adding a half inch overall may not leave much thread on the bolt.

I have some ⅜ washers but there’s a lot of space in there with those bolts. Almost as much as the wallowed out holes. I may try to find better ⅜ or 10mm washers than the ones I have.

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Adding a half inch overall may not leave much thread on the bolt.

I have some ⅜ washers but there’s a lot of space in there with those bolts. Almost as much as the wallowed out holes. I may try to find better ⅜ or 10mm washers than the ones I have.
What I put in mine. Might need a different length, I only added about 1/4" with my bracing.
McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any looser and I might as well not do anything. The new bolts will make a HUGE difference but the holes are still wallowed out in the frame tabs. My bolts were probably 10% gone so there was a good bit of play.

Oh crap!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Woah!

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any ideas how to avoid this situation?

Don’t use super ATV arms? I don’t think anyone using factory arms is having this issue.

The factory arms have rubber bushings if I remember correctly. The SATV are hard and less able to absorb energy UHMW. @snuffnwhiskey fixed his earlier and since I noticed it, I think @Windrock1000 has fixed his and a couple other members are noticing the same noise and some movement in their front end.

I am going to weld up some new crossmembers and pull the existing ones away from the drivetrain while I’m working on this.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Don’t use super ATV arms? I don’t think anyone using factory arms is having this issue.

The factory arms have rubber bushings if I remember correctly. These are hard and less able to absorb energy UHMW. @snuffnwhiskey fixed his earlier and since I noticed it, I think @Windrock1000 has fixed his and a couple other members are noticing the same noise and some movement in their front end.

I am going to weld up some new crossmembers and pull the existing ones away from the drivetrain while I’m working on this.
You may be onto to something about the rubber bushings, taking some of the shock from the mounts, might be a great after market product for the Super ATV A arms, replaceable rubber, full floating bushings. I like running the 30 inch tires with the Supper ATV A arms, we are carrying more speed with this set up and the better shock you have the less impact on your mounts, or is this getting back into pretzel logic? HA!

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
3EF5BDAC 1C27 40CE 98DA 00564C2B454F
7A9CCCF7 AC10 4198 8265 F71AD0201F97
4A0EE796 7169 40C6 8F59 7853370C1B5B

The factory arms have rubber bushings if I remember correctly. The SATV are hard and less able to absorb energy UHMW. @snuffnwhiskey fixed his earlier and since I noticed it, I think @Windrock1000 has fixed his and a couple other members are noticing the same noise and some movement in their front end.

I did repair mine. Just added a small 3/16” plate to the back hole. I think problem will go away with greasing on a normal schedule. My bolt and steal sleeve was dry and bound together do to lack of grease. It took about 1800 miles to wear out the bushings.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last edited:
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 84421 View attachment 84422 View attachment 84423

I did repair mine. Just added a small 3/16” plate to the back hole. I think problem will go away with greasing on a normal schedule. My bolt and steal sleeve was dry and bound together do to lack of grease. It took about 1800 miles to wear out the bushings.
Bushings weren't worn on mine just the bolt and hole.

So you all are pretty sure the wear is due to not enough grease and the sleeve and bushing locking together? Because I got paranoid reading your experiences I took mine apart this past weekend to visually inspect and while everything looked good - I did notice that I have quite a lot of movement in between my bushing and sleeve on the bottom - now they have always taken grease. Since I had nothing to compare I went ahead and ordered a replacement set to compare and swap out if needed.

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So you all are pretty sure the wear is due to not enough grease and the sleeve and bushing locking together? Because I got paranoid reading your experiences I took mine apart this past weekend to visually inspect and while everything looked good - I did notice that I have quite a lot of movement in between my bushing and sleeve on the bottom - now they have always taken grease. Since I had nothing to compare I went ahead and ordered a replacement set to compare and swap out if needed.

I’m sure they wear some with dirt and water!

Reactions: BWAF and Ragnar406
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I am not sure, they were dry as a bone and rusty so I made a passage for the grease to get to the bolt.

I’m sure they wear some with dirt and water!

Surely never more than 10” of standing purified water.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My lower joint - the bushings were a little loose to the sleeve. seems to have a good amount of grease. So correct me here but the grease should go between the Sleeve and the Bushing and the bushing and the A arm piece right? I am going to pull apart again this week so I will take some pictures.

advertisement