P700 Rodent damage, again

S

SM05

Mar 27, 2019
VA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi all,

I know I'm on a loosing end of it until I park it in some structure but it is what it is. My 2017 Deluxe model's parked outside. The new damage is under the seat - battery wiring got chewed up. For a while I'd be able to start it after trickle charging it for an hour but last time it just died hard - no amount of trickle charging works and lights are flickering trying to crank it. So I assume it's time to replace some wires for me.

I've got a 2 part question for all of you please. 1 - looking at the attached picture, could you help identify the part needed for replacement? And 2 - what would be the place to order that (aside from the dealer, which would be at the bottom of my list)?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Damage

Reactions: Isaiah
wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
lik
Hi all,

I know I'm on a loosing end of it until I park it in some structure but it is what it is. My 2017 Deluxe model's parked outside. The new damage is under the seat - battery wiring got chewed up. For a while I'd be able to start it after trickle charging it for an hour but last time it just died hard - no amount of trickle charging works and lights are flickering trying to crank it. So I assume it's time to replace some wires for me.

I've got a 2 part question for all of you please. 1 - looking at the attached picture, could you help identify the part needed for replacement? And 2 - what would be the place to order that (aside from the dealer, which would be at the bottom of my list)?

View attachment 202789
Like CMB said, that's just system ground. Heat shrink it and continue on. But from your post, it won't start, what damage is there won't prevent it from starting. Prolly better keep looking😢😢

Reactions: SM05 and Isaiah
wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi all,

View attachment 202789
Second thought, check the battery, take it out, charge it and check the voltage. A guess is that its not taking a charge. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Isaiah and SM05
F

Fireflymedic

May 13, 2020
Vernon Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Have you put rat poison in, on, and around the pioneer? They make hard chunk type even little boxes to put it in if you're worried about pets. If you think the smell is/would attract them use sticky bate. I had a car something bit the crank position wire on that. It was keep in open bay garage and I had to do this but it worked.

S

SM05

Mar 27, 2019
VA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Like CMB said, that's just system ground. Heat shrink it and continue on.

Good suggestion! Wire doesn't look any different now vs when it'd still start so I take it it's still salvageable and problem might be elsewhere. Will do the heat shrink. That whole compartment has nice slob of mice crap mixed in so cleaning it all is gonna be super fun. 😵

S

SM05

Mar 27, 2019
VA
Ownership

1. 700-2
How old is the battery? Probably just shot. Have you tried jumping it with something else?

It's still an original battery I have there. It's always been a bit hesitant to start after sitting for a couple of weeks, cause that's about how frequently it's used. I'll check the voltage to see where it's at and replace it if it wouldn't take the charge.

CMB, wrhii, Bigseff23, thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it!

S

SM05

Mar 27, 2019
VA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Have you put rat poison in, on, and around the pioneer? They make hard chunk type even little boxes to put it in if you're worried about pets. If you think the smell is/would attract them use sticky bate. I had a car something bit the crank position wire on that. It was keep in open bay garage and I had to do this but it worked.

I've been using Rodent Vehicle Natural Repellent by Experimental Choice on an off. I'm just not sure how long the spray lasts before it needs to be reapplied again. I'll look into better poison than that cause that's my second go at dealing with wire damage. Thanks for your suggestion.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm was having rodent and bird problems with my 4 wheelers. I take the seat off when I park and lay it on the rear rack. That opens up the area they don't want to nest unless it is closed up.

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi all,

View attachment 202789
Well....... what happened? What did you finally find wrong?

S

SM05

Mar 27, 2019
VA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well....... what happened? What did you finally find wrong?

I haven't been getting any reply notifications for some reason even though I have it set to in my profile. Odd.

Haven't gotten to it yet unfortunately, work and garden been keeping me busy. Plan on taking a look at it this weekend. Cleanup of all of that is gonna be fun.

S

SM05

Mar 27, 2019
VA
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm was having rodent and bird problems with my 4 wheelers. I take the seat off when I park and lay it on the rear rack. That opens up the area they don't want to nest unless it is closed up.

That's an excellent suggestion. I'm gonna start doing the same exact thing.

Reactions: Gator
G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My rodent problem went way down when two 5' bull snakes moved in. I hardly notice then until they leave a shed skin. Once I did notice them when there was one on each side of my walk door. I think they were waiting for much smaller prey.

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
S

SM05

Mar 27, 2019
VA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Success! Shrink wrapped the damaged wire as suggested and replaced the battery. It starts better now than when it was new. Thanks for all of your help.

Reactions: Mudwing and wrhii
wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Success! Shrink wrapped the damaged wire as suggested and replaced the battery. It starts better now than when it was new. Thanks for all of your help.
Thanks for the update 👍

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!