P1000 Roll cage removal for transport

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry for not introducing myself but hoping someone here may know the answer before I go pick this beast up. I just bought a new Pioneer 1000 (3p). I'm going to pick it up Tue/Wed. I've got a heavy duty enclosed trailer 66" high, 65" wide and plenty long. Obviously if I want to use my trailer I'll have to take off the roll bar for this one time transport. Has anyone completely removed the roll bar for what ever reason? Is it a PIA and can I do it with a socket set and a driver? I have a buddy that has an open landscape trailer I can barrow but it's going to add a lot of time to my pick up process.

Thanks guy!

J Law
Rochester, NY

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It can be removed with out too much issue. Decent socket set will remove it. Just confirm you have 10/12/14/17/19 sockets and wrenches and you should be able to do 90% of your work.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly, not entirely sure. Always some dumb little thing over looked.
Lets say 10% specialty tools? Internal engine stuff etc.

Edit, 30mm axle nut socket comes to mind immediately, also cotter pin puller, side cutters etc. general hand tools.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Edit, 30mm axle nut socket comes to mind immediately, also cotter pin puller, side cutters etc. general hand tools.

Good idea to bring a few "extra" tools 'cause as they say......."things do happen!"

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Metric allen keys. 5mm and smaller. Service jack and stands. The sockets are the cheapest part of this.
Did you buy a 16? 17? 18?

A service manual is invaluable. I reference mine pretty much weekly.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

lol... I think he meant just for the cage.. not the entire machine. haha.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just ran outside to not scare you. 14mm and 17 mm socket. The nut on the cage is nylon locking. So have 2 ratchets if you have the tools.

Reactions: JTW and elkguide
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just ran outside to not scare you. 14mm and 17 mm socket. The nut on the cage is nylon locking. So have 2 ratchets if you have the tools.

You had me scared and I'm not taking mine off!!!!!

Reactions: Mudwing
advertisement
H

HondaTech

Just be careful with the upper seat belt bolts. Alot.of guys don't clean these threads before installing the bolts and you end up with a stripped bolt and screwed up threads. These bolts can't be bought without getting the whole seat belt assemblies (at least not from Honda) and aren't metric thread. I think their 7/16-20 pitch.

3 seaters only have 10 bolts holding the cage to the unit. 4 more to split the front and rear.

5 seaters have 16 holding it to the unit. 8 holding the front, middle, and rear together. Not including the seatbelts, the nets can be left on there respective roll bar.

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
How much is "add a lot of time to your pick up process"?
It may be quicker and less cursing to borrow your buddies trailer vs disassembly/reassembly. Not to mention the possibility of loosing or ruining fasteners in the process.

Reactions: swsebek
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Solution: Landscape trailer. What I didn't take into consideration; where do I put the roll cage for the transport unless I COMPLETELY break it down. The trailer is 12' long so I don't know if it will fit and I don't want to jam it in there scratching everything up. Thanks guys for helping make this decision!

FYI: I posted the same question to hondapioneerforum and got 29 views with no responses. I know which forum I will be using from here forward.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
He will also need a 19 for the a pillar nuts. I've removed mine more times than I care to count. It's not a big deal, you'll be fine.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm going with the borrow a buddy's trailer method.

Reactions: Delton
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Solution: Landscape trailer. What I didn't take into consideration; where do I put the roll cage for the transport unless I COMPLETELY break it down. The trailer is 12' long so I don't know if it will fit and I don't want to jam it in there scratching everything up. Thanks guys for helping make this decision!

FYI: I posted the same question to hondapioneerforum and got 29 views with no responses. I know which forum I will be using from here forward.
Wise choice. And I wanted to welcome you from Pa and congrats on the ride.
This site is it for responses to your posts and just out right valued info.
Post up some pics and let us know what happens

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@OnTheJob Was not my intention to scare you with all the tools.
I agree with everyone else, landscape trailer is the way to go. Just tried to help with tools you may need in the future.

I believe I read that you bought a ‘16. Consider becoming either a supporting member, or lifetime. There is a pdf service manual available for members. Someone did some deep googling and posted it for us.

Welcome to the club, enjoy your new machine!

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going with the borrow a buddy's trailer method.
I think that is the right choice. When I got my pk100 the dealer broke one of the bolts holding netting then jimmied hole trying to get broken bolt out so they took off roll cage off another one to replace mine. I helped in the procedure. Was not that hard but roll cage is cumbersome and you could chip paint on roll cage if not very careful defiantly a two person job. IMO

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!