P500 Roof/Light Issue Solved

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
So, the last major upgrade on the list was a roof. My issue was deciding how it was going to work with the light bar I have mounted on the roll bar. Thought I was going to go with a soft top as it seemed to be the only way to avoid getting in the way of the lights.

Then I randomly found myself back at the dealer with two friends both who bought new p5's. Through that transaction they gave me dealer cost on the Honda hard roof and yet one more project. The roof did not hit the lights but the front covered the beam. After an evening of thought the idea was created. I used the existing mounts, used some 1/2" SCH40 PVC to make spacers from the roof to the mounts, drilled holes in the new roof, and mounted the lights. Having them hard mounted to the bar makes them rock solid with no vibration. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

20161211 193053 20161212 092900

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Hey: so just attaching the bar to the plastic of the roof wouldn't be secure enough? I'm going to be attaching a 32" bar to the roof pretty quick.
Al

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Hey: so just attaching the bar to the plastic of the roof wouldn't be secure enough? I'm going to be attaching a 32" bar to the roof pretty quick.
Al
It might be but I had the brackets (actually stripped one of the bolts so getting them off would have been a pain anyway) and being mounted that solid keeps them from vibrating with the engine. Super solid and those mounts are only $14 off Amazon.

Reactions: Tigermark
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the way to mount on the roof, I did the same way and already tested , rock solid, no issues when the light grabs branches driving in the forest.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
This is the way to mount on the roof, I did the same way and already tested , rock solid, no issues when the light grabs branches driving in the forest.
And the light bars are so cheap now I dont care it I ruin one.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
My ram mount hasn't arrived yet, but think I see where I'm going to mount it to. ;)
Just a heads up, it vibrates pretty bad right there. Might want to look for a more solid spot. Look cool there though!

Reactions: rocmar
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Just a heads up, it vibrates pretty bad right there. Might want to look for a more solid spot. Look cool there though!

Thx for that heads up. My guess is that most of the dash will have the same vibration. If so, will try to come up with some sort of isolation.

Reactions: Duckiller
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Thx for that heads up. My guess is that most of the dash will have the same vibration. If so, will try to come up with some sort of isolation.
I wish I had put it on top of the steering column. I am working on making a more solid backing plate to see if that helps.

advertisement
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
I put mine right above where you have your switches. That way the copilot can see it too.
I don't like other people pushing my buttons ;-) Actually the original mount head is for my Garmin. I just bought the other X mount for cruising around making access to the music easier.

Reactions: trigger and rocmar
D

Deleted member 3748

Is there a good spot for mounting a RAM and a camera? My camera vibrates everywhere because I'm still too cheap to get a GoPro.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I decided to keep everything off the hard roof. I'll want to remove it from time to time and that's easier with no lights attached.

20161214 173628 resized
I put the 32" light bar on the top of the front bumper. It's pipe-clamped on 'cuz I hate drilling through the steel.

20161217 212154 resized
I put front angle cube LEDs on the front posts. They are really handy for tight manouvering in the bush.

20161217 212229 resized
And finally, rear facing cube LEDs, pipe clamped on.

20161217 212317 resized
Got a pre-made switch panel from Amazon; shipped in direct from China in a week. It's actually not bad... aluminum plate and standard size switches, plus an extra 12V socket & two USB plugs.

20161219 062055 resized
To protect the underside of the switch panel from road grime flinging up from the front tires, I zip-tied in a piece of PVC flooring to cover that opening in the top of the wheel well.
Al

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I decided to keep everything off the hard roof. I'll want to remove it from time to time and that's easier with no lights attached.

View attachment 28895
I put the 32" light bar on the top of the front bumper. It's pipe-clamped on 'cuz I hate drilling through the steel.

View attachment 28896
I put front angle cube LEDs on the front posts. They are really handy for tight manouvering in the bush.

View attachment 28897
And finally, rear facing cube LEDs, pipe clamped on.

View attachment 28898
Got a pre-made switch panel from Amazon; shipped in direct from China in a week. It's actually not bad... aluminum plate and standard size switches, plus an extra 12V socket & two USB plugs.

View attachment 28900
To protect the underside of the switch panel from road grime flinging up from the front tires, I zip-tied in a piece of PVC flooring to cover that opening in the top of the wheel well.
Al
I think you made a good choice.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!