drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I browsed the other threads on oil and I see some are using T6 5w40. I use T6 is my diesel truck, tractor, motorcycle, outboard and previous atv's... I'm going to go with it for the first change in my 1000. Anyone disagree?

Reactions: Isaiah
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I browsed the other threads on oil and I see some are using T6 5w40. I use T6 is my diesel truck, tractor, motorcycle, outboard and previous atv's... I'm going to go with it for the first change in my 1000. Anyone disagree?
I would stick with what honda recommends for the first change or two.

Reactions: sporttrac4x4
D

Dasmoeturhead

I'd have to look at the manual and see if Honda recommends 5w-40. 10-30, and 10-40 is fine. I use the Bel-Ray 10-40 ATV Trail oil, (recommended by the Honda Shop here ), and it work's good. Oil can be a very personal subject with people, and there's so many differrent brands to choose from as you already know. I know Honda doesn't make there own oil , and who knows who really formulates it to meet Honda specs. I would personally just stick to the right weight, and API group that the Honda Engineers have recommended. And why is a quart of Honda GN4 10W-30 over 6 bucks a quart? Jeez!

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think Jackal used Rotella at his first oil changed then began experiencing clutch slipping. I'm not positive on this but that's what I recall.

Personally I would not chance running anything but the Honda oil for now. I have never run a manufacturer's oil in any vehicle I own, so it's not like I think Honda has some kind of special oil. I just think if you want to minimize your chances for any clutch problem that you should run the oem oil until we have more data on what the problem has been. Or just agree to be a guinea pig and keep us posted.

Waylan

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think Jackal used Rotella at his first oil changed then began experiencing clutch slipping. I'm not positive on this but that's what I recall.

Personally I would not chance running anything but the Honda oil for now. I have never run a manufacturer's oil in any vehicle I own, so it's not like I think Honda has some kind of special oil. I just think if you want to minimize your chances for any clutch problem that you should run the oem oil until we have more data on what the problem has been. Or just agree to be a guinea pig and keep us posted.

Waylan

I'm hoping someone else has used it and has input. I hate to pay the price of Honda oil.

Reactions: 0860silverado
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only other oil I have read that they didn't have any issues with was a couple folks running a UTV specific amsoil. Check with Jackal on the Rotella before you put it in.

Waylan

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Pro Honda GN4 4-Stroke Motor Oil | UTV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC this is a good place to get Honda oil. I would not use a different oil. Always check your vehicle's owner's manual to verify that it is the correct weight of motor oil for your vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0860silverado
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm sure I'll get flack for this but that's what I run in absolutely everything I own it's nice to have one good oil that will go in my truck bus wife's car bikes four wheelers everything, so I'm in full agreement with you.not many people know this and I'm always told how great Mobile1 or Castrol are but diesel oil is better and usually cheaper (not that a couple of bucks matter to engine life)Rotella is awesome it's even required in the Rekluse clutch in my CRF Its still got all of the good additives that are taken out of automotive oils and I suggest it in any vehicle! However with the clutch problems out there for a second at least I'm running Gn4. I generally do the first oil change at least with the same oil as what came I'm a machine it makes me feel better about the break-in process. I've decided NOT to run the synthetic Rotella in the 1000 until I know 100% about the synthetic aspect of the DCT and I will probably switch my next oil change to straight Rotella. That's what I would suggest but that's not going to be popular.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm sure I'll get flack for this but that's what I run in absolutely everything I own it's nice to have one good oil that will go in my truck bus wife's car bikes four wheelers everything, so I'm in full agreement with you.not many people know this and I'm always told how great Mobile1 or Castrol are but diesel oil is better and usually cheaper (not that a couple of bucks matter to engine life)Rotella is awesome it's even required in the Rekluse clutch in my CRF Its still got all of the good additives that are taken out of automotive oils and I suggest it in any vehicle! However with the clutch problems out there for a second at least I'm running Gn4. I've decided NOT to run the synthetic Rotella in the 1000 I will probably switch my next oil change to straight Rotella. That's what I would suggest but that's not going to be popular.

Yea, I guess I'll use the Honda oil for at least the first change...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I really would at least say do that. I'm as big of a Rotella t6 fan as you but...I'm still not sure about syn going in this rig. I wish the motor/trans was separated!

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@CumminsPusher I know this is probably the wrong part of the forum, but from your comments I would guess you were running the T6 in your previous 700. I put some in this winter, with the hopes it would help on the cold winter days here in southern idaho. I got a little nervous, though, with Jackals' problems with his 1000. I was just curious if you had any ill effects with it, or would recommend it for a 700. Thanks

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Automotive oils are not allowed to run many additives that diesel oil gets by with. EPA has forced many of the great components out of oils other the diesel (for now) and specialty oils. It's not about application anymore. Automotive oils are not what they were

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Waylan
Absolutely. Now is not the time to start experimenting with different oils in this engine. If your clutches start slipping you want to see it following Honda guide lines to the letter and not have to wonder if it had anything to do with oil selections. Nothing but GN4 10W30 for me till the dust settles on this hit or miss problem.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's my logic as well @Jbird. When the problems started showing up I went in and talked to the service manager and the insurance dept I got my warrentee from and both said that synthetic will void my warrentee and specifically said "only high grade non-synthetic " now I'm not positive if you could get one over on them or not however with the problems that have arrived with this model I'm not taking chances as of yet not so much that I'm worried it'll ruin my transmission but that it may not be covered. Synthetic may be fine it may not be fine however it may void warrentee. At this point I'm not comfortable finding out which it will be.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!