Rust

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500

Stumbled across this video and found it pretty interesting. Might be just the thing to spray inside the various tubes on our machines.
He has a bunch of interesting test videos on various products.

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have used Fluid Film for years with great results. No experience with the Blaster product. You can get an applicator for the FF cans that is a long plastic tube with a 360 degree nozzle to thoroughly coat the inside of frames and tubes. I’ll see if I can find a link.

Bought a vehicle five years ago that had been driven in northern road salt, then parked, unwashed, in hot weather. You can imagine the result. Pressure washed and FF and it stopped the rust in it’s tracks.

There’s also the WoolWax product which is a bit thicker and available in black. I’ve used that on larger vehicles. For a SxS I’d probably stay with the thinner FF based on my experiences.

I plan to spray mine, but not until I’ve finished the initial mods, so I don’t have to get greasy working on it.

Edit: here’s a link to a kit with that hose. I see FF is sold in black now also. But unless you’re covering a bunch of unsightly rust, I don’t see why you’d care about color.
Amazon link

PS- Fluid film will smell like a wet sheep for a few days. 🐏

Last edited:
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Stumbled across this video and found it pretty interesting. Might be just the thing to spray inside the various tubes on our machines.
He has a bunch of interesting test videos on various products.
I watched that last night. It's a year old. I wonder if anyone has any updates on that product. I definitely need something like that for the pioneer. I believe the frame is gonna be the long term weak link on these machines. With all the places for mud to hide and all the holes from the self tapping screws for the skid plates.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Really it’s more about trapped moisture when it comes to the frame. It’s the same for boat trailer frames.

you either have to seal the crap outta them, or make sure they drain fully.

things like FF are good for seasonal or incidental exposure, but don’t do anything for drainage.

for me, I have zero plans of keeping my pioneer the length of time it would take for it to really matter.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I watched that last night. It's a year old. I wonder if anyone has any updates on that product. I definitely need something like that for the pioneer. I believe the frame is gonna be the long term weak link on these machines. With all the places for mud to hide and all the holes from the self tapping screws for the skid plates.
You don't pressure test your frame for leaks?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Once a month.
You ever see a comment that just opens up a series of questions in the mind of the reader?

For example, how would you achieve this? Would it involve tools or?

Then you consider the “style” of previous comments made by the person commenting….

….

….

….

….

😳

K

kyrider1000

Oct 4, 2022
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think in my opinion .... And there like a$$holes , everyone has one , That the fluid film stuff is snake oil. You would have to completely seal the frame up airtight , Never get it wet or scratch the protective paint to prolong rust . Even with it sealed up it would need some kind of weep hole for condensation issues .
Just my 2 pennys .......
Ride em safe

Reactions: Smitty335
Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I sprayed the Blaster stuff on the hitch of my truck, drove it for months in rain, sun, washes and gravel roads. I finally broke down and wiped it down because I was tired of getting greasy hands adjusting the hitch height. It stays put pretty well.

advertisement
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I think in my opinion .... ~, That the fluid film stuff is snake oil.
No, it's sheep oil.

It works by covering the rust and preventing it from getting wet again.
Not perfect (it dose need re-application) but for the ease and cost it's pretty effective.
But yes, when I first heard about it I thought snake oil too.
Then I realized the farmers around me where using it for the seasonal layup of there equipment.

But, I have noticed that newer frames seam to be painted on the inside.
Of course, I have an older frame that is rust coated on the inside...

• Haha