Rust

Pieward

Pieward

Oct 2, 2021
Sw ark
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m still new here, feels like I’m ranting but seems important topic to discuss a problem a lot of us are having. After a few searches I found others asking questions to. I don’t know about the parts underneath that I can’t see , haven’t explored, but most of the exterior frame parts I can see are rusting at an extremely fast pace, some parts missing from rust. Post up some pics of your rust an or is there a preventive solution for the rust that anyone knows? Referring to a 2016 model pk1000, just got a new 2022 pk1000, if there are tips on stopping this I would like to have your experience, thanks

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought yours was beaten to a pulp by gravel?

Is it more than your slider tubes? I'm not sure those are as structural as they are skid tubes to protect the actual frame (?)

Lets see some pics from below

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I Immediately assumed your rust was because of road salt, like we deal with here but I see you are in Arkansas.

Up north here we spray our trucks and SXS's underneath with Fluid Film. It doesn't last more than a season so we have to reapply every winter, but it helps.

I just can't imagine people down south having a frame rust issue, Honda must use some s*** steel and paint.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@Pieward you have a 2016 and a 2022 right?
You are in a better position than most of us to answer your own question.
Is the paint the same between your two buggies?
Better? Worse?

Has rust been the issue over the last 6 years and 20k miles?
I would have guessed fixing things like the cheasssy ass door hinges would be more important (Im not complaining , the P500 door is way better).

Pieward

Pieward

Oct 2, 2021
Sw ark
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok , maybe this isn’t they main frame, it’s the bed frame. I hadn’t noticed it before so I was like what the heck, still a lot of the welds front an rear are pitted

79417BB5 17A7 4C98 BFAB 8710E73A9170 24248A49 2E94 425A BC36 765D655DB540 D4F89C83 D421 4AF9 91E0 C891009C6413

Pieward

Pieward

Oct 2, 2021
Sw ark
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only had 22 a few days, @ 16 miles, just around the yard. You are correct Lee I’m getting a lot of info from 16 to know what to try to protect on new one, Dave this area on the bed frame probably from gravel to. I’m probably just freaked out thinking of new one in this Condition. Let us live Like Hondabob said in a post yesterday, “just drive it 50000 miles an get another one “

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok , maybe this isn’t they main frame, it’s the bed frame. I hadn’t noticed it before so I was like what the heck, still a lot of the welds front an rear are pitted

View attachment 349842 View attachment 349843 View attachment 349844
This is on your 16’?
Holy Shat in my Hat Batman!!!
So your in Ark. My Talon came from Ark and the mud down there is quite invasive If you dont keep at it to get it Off the machine, almost worse than what road salt does up here to vehicles. I had to use a powerful degreaser on mine But it has stained some areas. (no rust yet)
so In those joints I have sprayed acually doused the holes and weld spots with WD-40 every now and again to keep that stuff out. Other than undercoating or line Xing the frame thats all Ive come up with. I also have done it to my 16’ pioneer for yrs cuz of our road salt here.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do you store your machine? Inside on a concrete or stone floor or outside in the elements or on the grass under a tarp?

In general how do you care for the machine…is it washed off? Or is mud left on it for weeks at a time?

Not playing a blame game here but it can definitely impact things

advertisement
K

KPM

Nov 25, 2021
Prairieville LA
Ownership

1. 500
Through experience and being ocd I read a ton on this. Research fluid film vs wd 40.

Also if you have rust and want to totally stop it call your local ppg store and ask for amerilock 400. A friend in the oilfield told me about it. Used to paint over rust in the field where they can’t blast. Very little prep required. Downside it was abou $300 for 2 gal - 1/1 system so that’s the smallest quantity you can buy.

I Coated my underneath and anything else that had rust. I have extra so about to paint my trailer.

For fluid film Amazon has a tube you can put on the aerosol can nozzle that goes in the tubes and sprays 360 degrees.

I don’t think the previous owner ever took the skids off if you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pieward

Pieward

Oct 2, 2021
Sw ark
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do you store your machine? Inside on a concrete or stone floor or outside in the elements or on the grass under a tarp?

In general how do you care for the machine…is it washed off? Or is mud left on it for weeks at a time?

Not playing a blame game here but it can definitely impact things
Guilty, I keep it in carport on concrete, started out washing it every few days/weekly, it takes hours to get all the dirt/ mud off of these each wash, so many places for mud to hide. I ride it 24/7/365 on farm. 3 hrs of washing, 1 hr of riding n it’s completely covered again when rainy seasons , so yes it sits for weeks without washing. Got 20yr old 4whlrs I don’t wash but yearly or more an they only have minor surface rust nothing like this. Wish Honda would Inclose wheel well like on a truck or I could get something aftermarket. Still, just seems more rust prone than anything else I’ve experienced.

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My ‘16 P1K5 has a lot of frame rust as well. Heck, the frame around the front door latches and under the bed are rusted pretty bad. I only recently noticed it when I started to do all the mods to it. It appears that the frame just has a thin crappy paint job on it. The black paint in a lot of places peels/flakes off very easily and there is zero primer on it.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Manure, yes, but like I said earlier none of my other rides rust like this one has n their twice as old
This will happen when you use s*** steel and coatings.

Reactions: Pieward
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am going to park my '21 1K-3 inside a heated garage when the first snowflake hits the ground. It will be salt and more salt on the roads until spring up where I live.

Reactions: Pieward

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!