P500 Rusty's Juicebox #nohomo

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Got the metal glove box installed. Not sure what the beef was, but the guy sure does make a great product 🤙

PXL 20210609 005218508

PXL 20210609 005257729

PXL 20210609 004815948

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Back to rookie questions...this time on wiring. I've kinda got 7 or so accessories/switches I want to work with. I'm not positive on how to wire the accessory to the switch and back down to the fuse block, but I'm a pretty visual dude, so wondering if you guys can critique my sketch? I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here...would like to have the rear winch/tiger tail removable and also plan on tying in a rear license plate light directly into the rear taillights. Any advice/ideas/guidance/do's or don'ts or telling me I'm a dumbass...all ears 🤣 Thanks guys

View attachment 273226
Your Blue Sea fuse box probably has corresponding ground terminals for each circuit, you may not need a ground block, because you already have one built into your fuse box? That's how I have mine wired, no separate ground terminal needed, you already have it?

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Your Blue Sea fuse box probably has corresponding ground terminals for each circuit, you may not need a ground block, because you already have one built into your fuse box? That's how I have mine wired, no separate ground terminal needed, you already have it?
The Blue Sea fuse box does have ground terminals, but now am wondering the best way to do it. I'm planning on tackling it over the weekend.

Buddy at work was telling me to just ground everything as short as I can to the closest frame piece, but I really want to do it the right way and clean as possible. Do I need to run the negative wire from fuse box back to the battery or should I run the negative off the fuse box to the frame? Accessory grounds - is it more of a pain to run all my negative wires back to the ground terminals on the fuse box or just ground them to the frame close to the accessory?

Sorry for the confusion/questions. Just wanna do it right.

Thanks guys!

PXL 20210609 125045863

Last edited:
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I ran mine back to the factory frame ground.
I looked back through your build and am not sure I'm seeing it in any of your pics. Just so I'm clear, you ran the fuse box negative wire to the factory frame ground? Did you also run your winch negative to the factory frame ground? Where is that thing located? Thanks man, you're always super helpful!

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
I have separate ground and positive bars. I ran the ground wire from my bus bar back to the factory ground on the frame. I am using fused relays so I don’t have a fuse box. I tied my winch ground into the grounded bus bar. It is located just above my aux battery in the picture.

5E433456 24B4 49B9 91B2 0D9540B5F6E5

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
The Blue Sea fuse box does have ground terminals, but now am wondering the best way to do it. I'm planning on tackling it over the weekend.

Buddy at work was telling me to just ground everything as short as I can to the closest frame piece, but I really want to do it the right way and clean as possible. Do I need to run the negative wire from fuse box back to the battery or should I run the negative off the fuse box to the frame? Accessory grounds - is it more of a pain to run all my negative wires back to the ground terminals on the fuse box or just ground them to the frame close to the accessory?

Sorry for the confusion/questions. Just wanna do it right.

Thanks guys!

View attachment 277532
You can do whatever is easiest for you. If you want to run a central negative bus bar and run everything to that; you can. If you want to tap into the frame near the accessory; you can. If you want to run the negative bus bar to the battery via a wire or via the frame (ground); you can.

I can't comment with any certainty, but I believe I read somewhere that the factory frame is split/bolted together, and has a grounding strap that is used to jump this connection. I don't know how many amps that strap can handle nor how many you plan on running, but its its something to keep in mind.

I chose to install an auxiliary battery with remote +/- bus bars that were both directly tied into the aux battery via 4awg wires. I didn't want to have to worry about not having enough carrying capacity so I overgunned the hell out of it. In actuality, you would probably be just fine to ground everything wherever is easiest.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
You can do whatever is easiest for you. If you want to run a central negative bus bar and run everything to that; you can. If you want to tap into the frame near the accessory; you can. If you want to run the negative bus bar to the battery via a wire or via the frame (ground); you can.

I can't comment with any certainty, but I believe I read somewhere that the factory frame is split/bolted together, and has a grounding strap that is used to jump this connection. I don't know how many amps that strap can handle nor how many you plan on running, but its its something to keep in mind.

I chose to install an auxiliary battery with remote +/- bus bars that were both directly tied into the aux battery via 4awg wires. I didn't want to have to worry about not having enough carrying capacity so I overgunned the hell out of it. In actuality, you would probably be just fine to ground everything wherever is easiest.
I'm not sure where the factory frame ground is located like @Bigtee mentioned? Is there like a specific spot on the frame that its set up for ground wires?

I'm thinking I will run the positive and negative from the fuse box back to the battery, positive from the winch back directly to the battery. So will have 2 4ga positive wires from battery to fuse box and winch and 1 4ga negative wire running from battery to fuse box.

Wondering if the winch (superwinch terra 45sr) is safe to be grounded to the negative wire on fuse box also?

Sorry for the rookie questions. Thanks guys

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I'm not sure where the factory frame ground is located like @Bigtee mentioned? Is there like a specific spot on the frame that its set up for ground wires?
I don't believe there is one specific spot. There are multiple points on the factory harness that are grounded to the frame.

I'm thinking I will run the positive and negative from the fuse box back to the battery, positive from the winch back directly to the battery. So will have 2 4ga positive wires from battery to fuse box and winch and 1 4ga negative wire running from battery to fuse box.

Wondering if the winch (superwinch terra 45sr) is safe to be grounded to the negative wire on fuse box also?
I believe this would work. You're just using the lug on the fuse box as a tie-in point for the negative wire, so you should be fine.
Sorry for the rookie questions. Thanks guys
Not a problem. We're here for ya.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Nice rig coming along with all your add ons. I did a frame ground. When I ran the 6 ga wire off the battery I used a switched waterproof breaker just outside the battery box. It also makes it easy to kill power to my add on circuits while working on them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!