RZR 4 to Pioneer 4

B

Bfree

Sep 20, 2013
Been tossing around selling my RZR 4 that I bought new in 2010 for '14 P4. I have about 1200 miles on my RZR, and its still running great.

I have learned how to use the belt system and the low range on the RZR works and to me it works great. As far as power, there's been times Ive wanted more, pegging it out just to climb a hill. Ive been to Colorado 3 times w/it, I also have 120 acres in the mntns of Arkansas and some of those hills are about 45 degrees up and down.

I want a more utility type vehicle, but still would like to carry 4 people if need. I will be using it to pull a pull behind disc that weighs 500lbs for doing food plots, and also pull a bush hog behind it. The area that will be disced is at the bottom of the mntn, so engine braking and a great brake system is imperative.

So now to the questions, in those that have seat time in the P4:
1. Hows the power when there are 4 people on board for climbing tall hills/mntns =/>45*?
2. Are the breaks adequate for hill descent, more are the enough to slow down a descent w/a 500lb disc behind it given there is NO low range?
3. Has anyone tried larger tires in a mud holes i.e 27"+ tire size?

Thanks in advance, as I am in the market and the Pioneer seems to fit all my needs, except the fact of the NO low range issue. BTW I have read about the torque converter and am aware of how it works so no need to tell me to read that. I am just seeking real world reviews.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
I doubt you'll find anyone here yet that has pulled anything like a pull behind plow but Honda does offer a front blade plow so its obviously built for the job. There are many 4wheelers pulling small plows in the 500 lb range so I wouldn't think the pioneer would have much trouble with that. I have loaded it with 4 people and climbed fairly steep hills with no complaints on lack of power. As far as the brakes I have no complaints either but I haven't had to use them much. As far as engine braking... its there but I wouldn't expect it will be much on a downhill with large loads. If you're looking for a UTV that's more tractor-like with a ton of engine braking then you should look at the Kubota. But then you will be making a big sacrifice when it comes to joy riding and enjoying the trails. For all around work and play it will be hard to beat the Pioneer 4 in my opinion.

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
I have not done much work in my Pioneer yet, but did have work hours in my Big Red which I'm sure you know is the same powerplant and transmission. Pulling a rake in the hayfield, I quickly got the feel and just held first gear right before her upshift. Torque is awesome in the 675 and driving the way I described takes advantage of that power. Pioneer also has the 1500lbs. towing capacity so discing won't be a problem, with the right one you could plow also. As for engine braking in the Pioneer...hold-back is great and brakes are best of ANY off-road machine I have ever driven. Additionally, whether you are working or hard trail riding you are really going to appreciate just how strong and really over-built all the suspension and frame components are on the Pioneer. Personally, I've owned AC Prowler, Kaw Mule, Honda Big Red, and now Pioneer, the big red wAs the best but the Pioneer has so much refinement while retaining all the strength and power. It is twice over, the best utv I have ever driven. One drawback though, Honda doesn't offer a power steering option and that has not been an issue for me so far, but if you went with the big tires for muddin', steering is going to get REAL heavy. I hope this has been helpful.

B

Bfree

Sep 20, 2013
Thanks for the comments, and yall have answered my ??s. My family and I really enjoy trail riding and we'll ride 50+ miles in a day. So that's as important as the utility side. I can ride all day in the RZR and get back to camp and still feel great, so the ride quality has to be supurb as well.

As far as larger tires on a SXS, I have been down that rode on many occasions, having owned a Suzuki 500 w/29.5 outlaws, a Can Am 800 w/32" Gorilla Silverbacks, a RZR 800 w/30" G. Silverbacks, a Polaris Sportsman 850 w/power steering and 31" Outlaws and my RZR 4 I have now and at 1 point I did have 30" G. Silverbacks on it as well. I know all too well the problems associated w/tricking the atvs/SXS out and the problems associated w/them. Not to mention the thousands of dollars for the parts and carnage that they bring. I'll most likely keep the P4 stock except for bumpers and a top.

Where can I find info on a Gear Reduction system avail for the Hondas? WHo makes it and are they worth the investment just in case I absolutely need it?

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Bfree said:
I'll most likely keep the P4 stock except for bumpers and a top.

Good Luck finding an after market bumper any time soon. I've spoken to Warn no less than 5 times with the last time being told that maybe next year they may decide to make one for the Pioneer.

I've also spoken to Tough Country and they tell me that they have no plans what so ever of making one for the Pioneer. They did say that if I agree to buy 10 of them, they may consider production. I seriously doubt that there are 9 others here that may want one.

I'm almost thinking of looking for a used Warn bumper for a RZR and fabricating it to fit the Pioneer.

S

Swamper

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2013
If your looking for gear reduction for the pioneer I'm not aware of that being available. What is common is the the rincon riders using the lower gears of the big red since they share the same tranny.

B

Bfree

Sep 20, 2013
Thanks swamper I didn't realize that.

B

Bfree

Sep 20, 2013
Thanks Hondasxs.

Big River, when I pull the plug for the new P4, Id most likely be up for one of those bumpers fm Tough Country assuming it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Maybe if you could get a commitment from the friendly folks on this site for at least 10 and all 10 paid a deposit then just maybe we could get an order together for a bumper. Just thinkin out loud.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Hell, if I could get a verbal commitment here, I'd finance all 10 just to get the ball rolling. Sorry to say though, it didn't sound very promising when I spoke to them the other day.

advertisement
B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
BigRiver said:
Hell, if I could get a verbal commitment here, I'd finance all 10 just to get the ball rolling. Sorry to say though, it didn't sound very promising when I spoke to them the other day.
Hey BigRiver, I can't really make a commitment yet, but if you could get a ball park price and a simple mock-up, please let me know. The front bumper Honda's selling (#08p75-hl3-a00) looks tough but lists at $399.95 and their rear bumper (#08p75-hl3-a00) lists at $224.95 but, though hard to tell with the photo they use, doesn't seem to offer much protection. So if you can get them to agree to a fair price for a tough bumper, especially the rear bumper, I would gladly make a commitment.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
Brian, I'm not putting much stock into what Tough Country had told me.

At this point, this morning I went out and purchased 20' of 6"x 1/4" flatbar, 10' of 1/4" flatbar and 10' of 1/4" angle iron.
Going to make my own winch mount and keep the bumper as it is.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BigRiver said:
Brian, I'm not putting much stock into what Tough Country had told me.

At this point, this morning I went out and purchased 20' of 6"x 1/4" flatbar, 10' of 1/4" flatbar and 10' of 1/4" angle iron.
Going to make my own winch mount and keep the bumper as it is.

You make something for the front I may want a copy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
ohanacreek...not to say that I'm a good fabricator, but I do tend to over build stuff when I get my hands into it. Nor will it be as professional as what Honda may produce sooner or later...but it won't be Butt Ugly either.

Actually, I've got enough material to make a dozen or so of these.

I'll make a prototype, and when I'm satisfied, I'll make another as a template. Then I'll consider offering them here. I just don't want to put something out here that would be less than adequate.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
BigRiver said:
ohanacreek...not to say that I'm a good fabricator, but I do tend to over build stuff when I get my hands into it. Nor will it be as professional as what Honda may produce sooner or later...but it won't be Butt Ugly either.

Actually, I've got enough material to make a dozen or so of these.

I'll make a prototype, and when I'm satisfied, I'll make another as a template. Then I'll consider offering them here. I just don't want to put something out here that would be less than adequate.

Feel the same way....Best of luck.
I'm hoping your design will have a semi-universal winch mount.

"Measure 5 times cut once."
"Do it right the FIRST time."
"Half a$$ing it twice only makes you a complete a$$"

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I'm using a Warn winch, which comes with it's own plate that the winch and fair lead mounts to. This plate then is mounted to what ever plate or foundation the user wishes to use.
So yes, I'd say that it's universal as long as the winch a person has, uses a provided plate to attach to what I'll have.