PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You know what years for the Pioneer ?
It all in the bulletin posted at the beginning of the thread...

3-23-2020
Honda issued a SAFETY RECALL on CERTAIN 2019-2020 Honda Pioneer 1000's and Honda Talon 1000's.
This recall is to inspect for a missing parking collar in the sub-transmission.

PROBLEM - It has been identified that a limited number of units were assembled with a missing parking collar. A missing collar could cause the machine to roll while parked increasing the risk of a crash or injury.

AFFECTED UNITS - Only CERTAIN units 2019-2020 are affected identified by serial number. ONLY a limited number of units will be missing this collar.

NOTIFICATION - Honda will notify all AFFECTED owners in April 2020 via mail.

SOLUTION - The solution will require disassembly of the sub-transmission to replace the missing collar.

HOW TO CHECK MINE - The full list is NOT available to the public. Dealers can check your S# to see if it is affected. The online Honda Recall database is not up to date.

For more info, ask your dealer lookup Service Bulletin dated March 23, 2020, on iN

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I'm not hauling it back up here for all the recalls for 3 years,

Wow @Smitty335 I was looking at a Talon X a few months ago.
Just how bad are they?
I mean, compared to the p1k how many times have people needed to drag there Talon back to the dealer?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just how bad are they?
I mean, compared to the p1k how many times have people needed to drag there Talon back to the dealer?
Smitty335 wouldn't know, he doesn't own one.

I do and it has NEVER been in the shop for a recall or warranty work. The Talon has only had a few minor recalls and I believe this would be the 4th and none of them have covered the entire line, just a handful of units each and none of them have affected mine.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just how bad are they?
I mean, compared to the p1k how many times have people needeee years before d to drag there Talon back to the dealer?
What I meant was, I don't know about how many recalls the Talon will have, my P1 had several, think a couple were mandated. I got sick of taking it in for recalls/failures, 2-clutches, 1- oil passage improvement for the clutches, 1-heat shield,1-verification of boot clamp between air box and injector body installed correctly and a couple of other things. But on the positive side, Honda will take care of you, may take little time. All I know for sure is I could have been in the woods riding, instead of hauling our P1 to the Honda dealership same amount of time, 45 minutes. I will wait three years before I buy a new model of anything. Well except maybe a hammer.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Smitty335 wouldn't know, he doesn't own one.

I do and it has NEVER been in the shop for a recall or warranty work. The Talon has only had a few minor recalls and I believe this would be the 4th and none of them have covered the entire line, just a handful of units each and none of them have affected mine.
The 4th, may not be a big deal if you live close to the dealership, but I live 45 minutes away after the trailer and S x S are loaded, so if it could be repaired in one day I would have 2.5 hours not counting the time doing the paper work at the dealer ship, add another 2 hours trailer hook up and drive time for a two day repair and this isn't adding the time at work for parking and disconnecting and reconnecting the trailer. The clutch replacements was a mutable day deal, 3 X 4.5 = 13.5 hours Hope this will explain why I will never have have a first year thing of any kind.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The 4th, may not be a big deal if you live close to the dealership, but I live 45 minutes away after the trailer and S x S are loaded, so if it could be repaired in one day I would have 2.5 hours not counting the time doing the paper work at the dealer ship, add another 2 hours trailer hook up and drive time for a two day repair and this isn't adding the time at work for parking and disconnecting and reconnecting the trailer. The clutch replacements was a mutable day deal, 3 X 4.5 = 13.5 hours Hope this will explain why I will never have have a first year thing of any kind.
I wouldn't know anything about that. I have had my first year 2019 for 9 months and 2000+ miles and it has never seen the dealer for a recall or even warranty work. There may have been 4 MINOR recalls but none of them were on my machine so I feel pretty good about my first year unit.

Don't compare my Talon to your P1 (or any Talon to the P1 for that matter). Although they share some similarities, the Talon has been improved because of the mistakes learned by Honda on your P1. Seems like they worked out most of the bugs on your P1 before they sold me my first year Talon. Thanks for doing all the leg work so I got a better product, I appreciate that!!!

sure enough a Talon X was headed to the the Honda shop on a trailer, probably for recalls
As far as the "Talon X was headed to the the Honda shop on a trailer, probably for recalls" comment, you have no idea why that Talon was headed to the dealer. "Probably for recalls" is pretty far fetched because there is only one active recall (not recalls) and it only affects a few machines and Honda caught 2 of the other recalls when most of the units affected were unsold. WAY more likely an owner not comfortable doing service work but to even insinuate it was on the trailer headed to the dealer for a recall is pure speculation.

If you want to bash the Talon's recall record, warranty issues or reliability, you either need to buy one and have first hand experience or you need to get the facts straight and stop with the "looks like" and "probably" insinuations and stop applying every little issue to thousands of Talons out there. It just isn't like that for the majority of Talon owners.

If the P1 is that bad, I feel bad for you but by your accounts my Talon is a far superior machine to your P1 so please stop applying your P1 experience to the Talon, it isn't fair.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I wouldn't know anything about that. I have had my first year 2019 for 9 months and 2000+ miles and it has never seen the dealer for a recall or even warranty work. There may have been 4 MINOR recalls but none of them were on my machine so I feel pretty good about my first year unit.

Don't compare my Talon to your P1 (or any Talon to the P1 for that matter). Although they share some similarities, the Talon has been improved because of the mistakes learned by Honda on your P1. Seems like they worked out most of the bugs on your P1 before they sold me my first year Talon. Thanks for doing all the leg work so I got a better product, I appreciate that!!!

As far as the "Talon X was headed to the the Honda shop on a trailer, probably for recalls" comment, you have no idea why that Talon was headed to the dealer. "Probably for recalls" is pretty far fetched because there is only one active recall (not recalls) and it only affects a few machines and Honda caught 2 of the other recalls when most of the units affected were unsold. WAY more likely an owner not comfortable doing service work but to even insinuate it was on the trailer headed to the dealer for a recall is pure speculation.

If you want to bash the Talon's recall record, warranty issues or reliability, you either need to buy one and have first hand experience or you need to get the facts straight and stop with the "looks like" and "probably" insinuations and stop applying every little issue to thousands of Talons out there. It just isn't like that for the majority of Talon owners.

If the P1 is that bad, I feel bad for you but by your accounts my Talon is a far superior machine to your P1 so please stop applying your P1 experience to the Talon, it isn't fair.
What year is your Talon? I will end up with one after year three. I see your from Utah, what are the trails like out there?

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am still get recall notices for "it may burn up" for my 2012, 2013, & 2014 Polaris RZR that I have not owned since 2015. Some of them have been "certified mail" requiring a signature. Bed got so hot that I had 1" of insulation on floor just to keep ice in cooler. Worst part, none of the recalls covered the crap that was really wrong with them (2013 Foot pedal magnetic switch that put it in limp mode, 2014 fuel pump squaling issue and all 3 "front drive shaft out of time") Had factory tell me that they woudl not repair my 2 month old 400 mile rzr 1000 fuel pump that was squawling louder than the motor at 30 mph until car quit and would not run. That was my last Polaris

Reactions: TalonR65 and IDIOT
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
What year is your Talon? I will end up with one after year three. I see your from Utah, what are the trails like out there?
I already provided that information in my last post...
"I have had my first year 2019 for 9 months and 2000+ miles"

You don't have much time to wait, some 3rd model year 2021's are already on the showroom floor!!! 4th model year probably next March/April.

Trails in Utah range from one extreme to the other, almost everything under the sun you can imagine, mountains, deserts, sand dunes, red rocks, etc. and weather just as diverse.

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I already provided that information in my last post...
"I have had my first year 2019 for 9 months and 2000+ miles"

You don't have much time to wait, some 3rd model year 2021's are already on the showroom floor!!! 4th model year probably next March/April.

Trails in Utah range from one extreme to the other, almost everything under the sun you can imagine, mountains, deserts, sand dunes, red rocks, etc. and weather just as diverse.
Sounds like you got a Wednesday assembly date, think I got a Monday, no Honda had issues with there oil to the clutches from the get go, they got that figured out and was smart enough to come out with the LE package for the P1's before bringing out the Talon with the same I4WD system with some tweaks. I hope your good fortune holds out! You need to lighten up, I'm actually on my forth set of clutches, all covered by Honda, if this would have happened to you, you would feel different about first year models. Most of the Talon isn't first year technology, but from what I've read here they may have some shift gate and shock issues? And in the Mint 400 didn't fare well for them. That's why I'm on the four year plan, but pay cash. Happy trails!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

U need to be in the covid-19 thread lol

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
If you need to take your Talon in for this recall and you have an after market shift gate, do you need to put the stock shift gate on for the trip to the dealer?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
U need to be in the covid-19 thread lol
I thought I was! HA! I used to go down to the P5 threads and stir up poop when the site got slow, I called them ants cause they would come out of the wood work like ants to attack me, they changed there handle to the fleas, then they figured out my ploy, until they figured it out they could make the site lively, I can barley get a rise out of them any more, it will be a relief to them to know I have found another group to stir up now that I have uncovered them without profanity or nude pictures. HA! That said, hat's in my hand! HA!

Reactions: TripleB
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you need to take your Talon in for this recall and you have an after market shift gate, do you need to put the stock shift gate on for the trip to the dealer?
@PaulF ?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am not qualified to answer that, you would need to ask someone at Honda.

That being said, If I had a non-stock shifter gate, I would always remove it before taking my machine to the dealer for ANY reason (even an oil change). Especially if I was using the CA unit. It has a shorter throw into Low than the stock gate and you can bet Honda already knows that and will try to use it to deny a warranty claim concerning the sub-transmission. I'm sure some dealers put notes in you file, I wouldn't take a chance.

But that is just my opinion.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
A Honda TALON I don’t own. My neighbor owns an X model which replaced one of his PIONEER 1000 P-3 units. I have owned two P-5 Deluxe and one P-3. Currently have one each. I have spent some time driving neighbors TALON and I do like it for quite a few reasons. Though for me, the Pioneer 1000’s serve me best, for now. Manufacture problems? Yep, I have experienced a few problems that others have. Does the manufacture disclose such AND take care of the design or it’s plant installation issues? Sure seems that HONDA does. I’m not referring to owner and/or driver born malfunctions. Some of us can just plain destroy a solid steel ball and then wonder why it failed.

Where I’m going with this is please don’t snivel when alerted about a recall/service bulletin. Be thankful that HONDA is STELLAR for standing behind their “uniquely designed beltless DCT, fairly new to the market of SXS,s“ and willing to fix, as compared to some other manufacturer. Don’t expect your HONDA dealers to make “house calls“ if your machine is affected. You should work with them as they CAN be your friend. If you don’t like your nearest use another. Some folks drive far distances to other states for a “good buy” yet complain of inconvenience when/if a problem occurs.

FYI, years back I stood behind the counter (a co-owner) of a fairly large multi-line all powesports dealership. I still recall the strategy and frustration of offering great service, good competitive prices, plenty of OEM parts, accessories and units to sell. Yet we‘d continually watch our bottom line to carefully be assured of covering all our monthly business expenses.
Not easily done.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
A Honda TALON I don’t own. My neighbor owns an X model which replaced one of his PIONEER 1000 P-3 units. I have owned two P-5 Deluxe and one P-3. Currently have one each. I have spent some time driving neighbors TALON and I do like it for quite a few reasons. Though for me, the Pioneer 1000’s serve me best, for now. Manufacture problems? Yep, I have experienced a few problems that others have. Does the manufacture disclose such AND take care of the design or it’s plant installation issues? Sure seems that HONDA does. I’m not referring to owner and/or driver born malfunctions. Some of us can just plain destroy a solid steel ball and then wonder why it failed.

Where I’m going with this is please don’t snivel when alerted about a recall/service bulletin. Be thankful that HONDA is STELLAR for standing behind their “uniquely designed beltless DCT, fairly new to the market of SXS,s“ and willing to fix, as compared to some other manufacturer. Don’t expect your HONDA dealers to make “house calls“ if your machine is affected. You should work with them as they CAN be your friend. If you don’t like your nearest use another. Some folks drive far distances to other states for a “good buy” yet complain of inconvenience when/if a problem occurs.

FYI, years back I stood behind the counter (a co-owner) of a fairly large multi-line all powesports dealership. I still recall the strategy and frustration of offering great service, good competitive prices, plenty of OEM parts, accessories and units to sell. Yet we‘d continually watch our bottom line to carefully be assured of covering all our monthly business expenses.
Not easily done.
Why I bought from the nearest dealer and paid what he needed to stay in business. When I needed something simple checked, they asked if I bought it there (yes) and they sent a shop guy out to fix the minor problem with no other questions or appointment.

More info - the passenger's shoulder belt bolt wasn't seated by over an inch, I was afraid the robot cross threaded it so I didn't try to tighten it myself. It's covered in blue Loctite. It drove right in with a small cordless impact driver.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

I mean unless your dealer wants to be an asshole, it's not going to matter unless your having low issues. Even if they have to remove the sub trans to replace the missing part, they cant deny a safety recall due to that. They could deny a worn low gear dog if the sub trans needed to be split and was found to have other issues. But the parking collar would have to be installed regardless, if they had to go down that far because it was missing. We've done 17 so far and haven't seen one missing collar yet.

Reactions: Enigma and Mudwing
H

HondaTech

Why I bought from the nearest dealer and paid what he needed to stay in business. When I needed something simple checked, they asked if I bought it there (yes) and they sent a shop guy out to fix the minor problem with no other questions or appointment.

More info - the passenger's shoulder belt bolt wasn't seated by over an inch, I was afraid the robot cross threaded it so I didn't try to tighten it myself. It's covered in blue Loctite. It drove right in with a small cordless impact driver.

FYI, those upper seat belt bolts are dealer installed, that's your dealer's amazing setup guy at work.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!