Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Total sxs newbie here and shopping for a windshield. What's the differences between the different types? Glass, hard coat lexan, optical grade. Which is better for what reasons? Thanks!

Bubbalel

Bubbalel

Nov 29, 2015
Total sxs newbie here and shopping for a windshield. What's the differences between the different types? Glass, hard coat lexan, optical grade. Which is better for what reasons? Thanks!
I like the two piece because I can let a little air through and cut down on the dust that wants to come around the closed shield. I'm hoping hard coat will resist scratching a little better (clean a dirty shield on the trail)

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the two piece because I can let a little air through and cut down on the dust that wants to come around the closed shield. I'm hoping hard coat will resist scratching a little better (clean a dirty shield on the trail)
Theres one on eBay for 245.00 but it looks like it doesn't fit very well at the bottom. Pretty sure I'll go with a Honda one but no idea which material is better. Places I ride are usually either very muddy or rocky.

Jody

Jody

Jan 12, 2016
Manitoba
Leon will scratch with just dust, hard coat is better buy never try to clean dry. It has to be wet down or you will scratch it as well. glass is best but not as universal. no two piece design.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Leon will scratch with just dust, hard coat is better buy never try to clean dry. It has to be wet down or you will scratch it as well. glass is best but not as universal. no two piece design.
So either glass or the hard coat lexan?

PCB67SS

PCB67SS

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2015
Panama City Beach
I just seems odd that Honda, or some aftermarket company could not develop a quality 2 piece glass windshield for our machines.
I'm very new to all this and have to ask, has anyone ever marketed a 2 piece glass windshield for any other companies side by sides?

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My supposedly hard coat is scratching much worse than my hard coat on my old P700. It's only the lower piece though. Check the link above if you want more info.

Bubbalel

Bubbalel

Nov 29, 2015
I had a windshield on my Rhino from Hunterworks that was the best I had seen. Not sure why but I didn't see windshields on their site. I had it for 5 years and it looked new. I'm hoping this hard coat Honda does half that good.

advertisement
Jody

Jody

Jan 12, 2016
Manitoba
nobody that I know of makes a 2 piece glass. probably a safety/durability issue of it flexing at the joint and lack of support.

Optical grade won't last. go glass or hard coat. all depends what your doing with it. keep in mind if you go glass you can add a wiper kit...

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

This is what I have so you can open it when you want to and you don't have to take it off. keeps mud, spider webs, snow, bugs, rain off you and keeps a lot out of the cab. I like this windshield because its best for the money. But if you have the money and want a wiper and don't ever want to open it then glass is ok. it all depends on your needs.
TWO-PIECE POLY WINDSCREEN (HARD COAT) Two-piece pivoting windscreen allows for increased air flow while hard coating provides excellent scratch resistance. don't get optical grade waste your money wont last.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the help/advice. I know alot more about them now than I did when I started.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i just ordered a glass windshield i paid $630 otd im wondering what every one is paying
The dealer gave me overall 10% discount on all parts and labor when I bought the 1000-5 deluxe. It was hard to work the Honda dealer sales people on significant money savings. They said the 1000 was to new and sales are no problem.

P

PineTree

Sep 9, 2015
Andover, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are your opinions on the 2 piece vs. 1 piece Hard coat? Is it worth the extra money? I know the air flow through the 2 piece would be nice at times, but have heard rumors of the 2 piece vibrating from lack of support. Is anyone having this issue? I'm not finding many aftermarket 2 piece windshields that I'm a fan of. Recommendations and advice please. Thanks!

Bubbalel

Bubbalel

Nov 29, 2015
What are your opinions on the 2 piece vs. 1 piece Hard coat? Is it worth the extra money? I know the air flow through the 2 piece would be nice at times, but have heard rumors of the 2 piece vibrating from lack of support. Is anyone having this issue? I'm not finding many aftermarket 2 piece windshields that I'm a fan of. Recommendations and advice please. Thanks!
It does vibrate but at 70 degrees out I open it. When its open it helps with the dust and that in itself makes it worth it. You will find that dust in any of these vehicles even pickup trucks is a problem.

P

PineTree

Sep 9, 2015
Andover, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I plan on having a top and back panel, which will help cut down on the dust intake. Has anyone sealed the bottom of the doors up better? Would this help with dust intake?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!