BOX1

P500 Seatbelt stuck

K

KPM

Nov 25, 2021
Prairieville LA
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone know any tricks to freeing up a seatbelt. It’s rusted or something and locked up. Anyway to take the cover off? I was able to free the passenger but not the driver side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
KPM- when you say the seatbelt is stuck- I am assuming you mean the lap/shoulder belt retractor is not moving? How old is your machine? Has it sat out in the rain and weather a lot that cause the retractor mechanism to rust quickly and badly?

Per Waggin Tail and Red suggest, you could spray a anti-squeak/rust breaker penetrating fluid down into the retractor, let it set for a few hours, then try to move it to free the mechanism up.

The belt assembly is removable- I have mine off right now with 4-point harness in place. I plan to take the harness out and put the seatbelts back in for more ease of use. Not sure if the retractor assembly can be taken apart or not. I know older car/truck seatbelt retractors had a removable cover that would allow you to see the entire assembly. If you don't get anywhere with yours, I'll try and get to mine in the barn and take a look for you.

K

KPM

Nov 25, 2021
Prairieville LA
Ownership

1. 500
It’s a 2015 p500 and I bought it a year ago. The mechanism is locked up. I tried to strategically shoot kriol into it with no luck. Was hoping someone knew something about those plastic covers. If I could figure out how to get them off I thought I could work the rolled up belt back and forth at the source to see what’s locked up and hopefully break it loose. I simply sprayed the passenger side and grabbed the belt and rocked it and it came loose with a few pulls. Not so much on the drivers side.

Reactions: Backwoods
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
kroil/etc. and time……..corrosion will break free

I also had them where a small pebble must have gotten inside, kroil, flush with water best you can and more kroil, soak and time - all came loose.

I did take one off one day letretract fully, basically wound itself tight, was never able to put back together once apart😂. Tie a knot or add a clamp so is does not happen to ya if you take apart….

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
OK, I had a few minutes to dig my seatbelts off the shelf. Not sure if Honda changed the design from 2015 to 2018, but mine are held together with T-15 torx head screws.
IMG 19721 IMG 19731
The 2 by the retractor mounting bolt allow the plastic cover over the belt to be flipped up:
IMG 19751

The side cover comes off with 2 more to expose the inertia mechanism:
IMG 19761
I did not take the inertia mech. apart to expose the 4 screws under it, but I think those would get you access to the spring and barrel that the belt is on.

Maybe @HondaTech can answer if there is a difference in the 2015 and 2018 belt assemblies.

IMG 19721 IMG 19731 IMG 19751 IMG 19761

Last edited:
K

KPM

Nov 25, 2021
Prairieville LA
Ownership

1. 500
Whoa big thanks for that info. I’m gonna tinker around the next time I have a minute. I don’t recall seeing this torx heads but it may be there. I really appreciate it! -kpm

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
No problem KPM. Glad to help on stuff that I am capable of doing.

Now, can someone from the site tell me why my pictures posted 3 times in my post?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No problem KPM. Glad to help on stuff that I am capable of doing.

Now, can someone from the site tell me why my pictures posted 3 times in my post?
Did you happen to edit the post? I’ve noticed that if I edit a post with pics attached to it that duplicates get dropped on some times. Also not inserting the pic attachments have caused that for me before too

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
KPM- Great to hear you got it! Always great when you are working on something stubborn and you find the problem- fix it and then instant gratification!

Jeremie- yes I did have to edit the post (missed an entire word on the re-read). Is there a way to correct it? If I do an edit and delete the extras, as soon as I save the post it puts the extra pictures back in.

Last edited:
Reactions: NTCPrezJB
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
KPM- Great to hear you got it! Always great when you are working on something stubborn and you find the problem- fit it and then instant gratification!

Jeremie- yes I did have to edit the post (missed and entire word on the re-read). Is there a way to correct it? If I do an edit and delete the extras, as soon as I save the post it puts the extra pictures back in.
It’s been a while. I think I deleted all the pics from the post and saved it and ended up with single copies but I haven’t done it in months.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!