P500 Stuck and won't down shift

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
Went to start p500 in woods and it refused to shift down to neutral so I could start it. I used the little tool and tried to manual shift to get going and it wouldn't work.

Finally after 10 minutes I turned on key and "rocked" it forward while trying to downshift and go neutral and was able to go. No issues since. Was miles from truck.

Like old reg 4 wheelers rocking to get a gear saved me. Still not happy about it lol.

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
Btw when rocking it I was using paddles to get it to shift. Hope no one else runs into this but at least it worked.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
You can start in any gear even reverse when pushing the break pedal. On mine you have to step on it pretty hard to make the rear light come on,not just rest your foot on it like a car. Sounds like you got a good workout,you can skip the gym today!

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
You can start in any gear even reverse when pushing the break pedal. On mine you have to step on it pretty hard to make the rear light come on,not just rest your foot on it like a car. Sounds like you got a good workout,you can skip the gym today!

Hrm didn't know this lol will try it and thanks. On shift column it showed -
When I saw - my attitude went south.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hrm didn't know this lol will try it and thanks. On shift column it showed -
When I saw - my attitude went south.

I can imagine, its the little quirks and solutions that make a place like this a treasure trove of info. Glad you got it going without hoofing it back to the car, that would have been doubly frustrating to only find out it would start when you press the brake.

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
Refused to shift out of reverse today without shutting down and restarting so I may be taking it in. 32 miles on it, zero water rides as I avoid water and mud if possible and drive in the woods. Shifting seems hinky at best imo. Otherwise a tank and work horse.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Refused to shift out of reverse today without shutting down and restarting so I may be taking it in. 32 miles on it, zero water rides as I avoid water and mud if possible and drive in the woods. Shifting seems hinky at best imo. Otherwise a tank and work horse.

Have you looked to make sure something like a stick didn't get up near the shift linkage interfering with things from shifting properly?

Reactions: Buryit
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Jackal, I think there are just wires going in to the transmission case.
As I recall no matter how hard you squeez the wire the elecrtons will slip by.

I think there is a thing in the manual for setting the angle sensor.
It's like the transmission and the engine ecu are a little confused about what is going on.

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
It's all clear and clean underneath and more than likely an adjustment. They will be dealing with it under warranty next issue.

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
It's all clear and clean underneath and more than likely an adjustment. They will be dealing with it under warranty next issue.

I think I was just being too easy on it, rode today and was a bit abusive and had zero issues. Still trying to foot shift lol but getting hang of it.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I think I was just being too easy on it, rode today and was a bit abusive and had zero issues. Still trying to foot shift lol but getting hang of it.
oh by no means baby that thing! I slam it in and out of gear

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
oh by no means baby that thing! I slam it in and out of gear

LOL careful, @lee will tell you that "slamming" it doe snot increase the flow of electrons through the wires. Reference Post #8 above :p

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
LOL careful, @lee will tell you that "slamming" it doe snot increase the flow of electrons through the wires. Reference Post #8 above :p
the one thing I had to get used to is the "bang" when shifting. Once to get accustom to the 500 you get a sense of when and where in the RPM range to shift.

Buryit, check out djvnice on youtube. I have a new found respect for my 500 after watching what he has put his through

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
Took grandson on a 19 mile ride today that had about every kind of terrain involved. Just shifted and tried not to over think it. Noticed no issues other than the clinking they make.

Only place I was worried was a long deep mud pit I was sure would bottom us out with no winch installed yet. Grabbed 4 wheel drive and hit it hard and sailed through before it had time to sink.

Thanks for link lol I see what you mean. Best ride today in years on this thing, we love it.

marchinkeja

marchinkeja

Feb 15, 2015
Carpendale,Wv
The other day i came down a steep powerline , my fuel went from three bars down till flashing lo fuel. However after i got to the bottom(flat ground),i had to back up a little to make the turn. My P 5 would not shift out of reverse. Even after i had it on flat ground. After 10- 15 minutes of rocking and also restarting it. It finally shifted to neutral. Not sure what causes this,but its a pain when it happens.

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
Mine hasn't done it again but I have made sure not to be in a bind while shifting, hopefully it's a glitch that goes away. Btw my reverse getting stuck was also on a very steep incline.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!