Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa
Didn’t need the prior sarcasm that wasn’t helpful.
He was just treating you like a fresh young member to the forum, like you are.
You took it as sarcasm. I took it as him teaching you how to help yourself, FIRST, and then If you can't find what you are looking for, ask for help.
Did you follow his advice? Did use use the search bar?
By the look of it, probably not.
6 post later, and still no pics of your ride.
Here was my introduction
Have a good day

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If no one cares enough to post photos the overall quality and value of the forum declines. There is no better way to provide answers that clearly explain than to include photos.

A photo is worth 1000 words.

S

StoneCold

Aug 26, 2022
Springfield,MO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa

He was just treating you like a fresh young member to the forum, like you are.
You took it as sarcasm. I took it as him teaching you how to help yourself, FIRST, and then If you can't find what you are looking for, ask for help.
Did you follow his advice? Did use use the search bar?
By the look of it, probably not.
6 post later, and still no pics of your ride.
Here was my introduction
Have a good day
First I am a new member but not a young one. In fact I‘m old enough to know sarcasm when I see it. Not that I owe you any explanation but I did search for this topic and didn’t find it so I then asked the question as I’m still trying to figure out how to use the forum. It’s obviously a topic that is resented so why don’t you take P1k5Dave’s advise and just pass it on by.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
First I am a new member but not a young one. In fact I‘m old enough to know sarcasm when I see it. Not that I owe you any explanation but I did search for this topic and didn’t find it so I then asked the question as I’m still trying to figure out how to use the forum. It’s obviously a topic that is resented so why don’t you take P1k5Dave’s advise and just pass it on by.
Because silly.....we are duty bound to welcome new members.
Regardless if they post pics like asked.
What you do after you are welcomed is up to you.
Have a good day

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if im out hunting and going to be away from it, trail cam is pointing at it, pull the steering wheel
Wow, you pull your steering wheel? That's hard core (and a lot of work...)

Another securing method is the Hillbilly brake. You push the pedal down and lock it in, and then it allows you to put a padlock thru it. Security is a secondary benefit, its good for many other reasons.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
you have a good deterrent there!!!!

it takes all but a minute if that to pull, the wheel, its one bolt and marked combined with my thin wallet.....works for me

when your buddies sxs is towed away 100 yards from his tree stand with the key in his pocket never to be seen again, made me rethink my deterrent strategy

monbecca

monbecca

Mar 9, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello. I’m new to the forum and have a question. I own a 2020 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe and transport it on an open utility trailer. How do you secure your SxS from theft while traveling? Chains, cables, Locks, etc. Please advise. Thanks
Welcome from Michigan

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I put a remote relay on the fuel pump circuit. Every time I get ready to start it I turn on the key, push the remote button to energize the fuel pump and then hit the starter. Without the relay energized the thing will run about 3 seconds before running out of fuel. I also wired in a parallel fuse holder (fuse removed normally) to bypass the relay if problems occurred...like the battery dies on the remote. At least if they are gonna steal it they will have to work for it. I use mine to take me places where I leave the ATV and go hiking or fishing far from the thing for hours also.

If you do go the chain/lock route find some square chain. It can't be cut with bolt cutters. A cordless grinder can still go through it in a few seconds tho.

At night at hotels etc try to find someplace to back the trailer against...something like a tree or the wall that houses the dumpsters. Put the trailer in a bind so that it can't be detached from the tow vehicle. Rolling it halfway up a curb can do this but a tree or wall also keeps it from being unloaded.

Ditto on theft insurance.

Dragbikedude

Dragbikedude

Aug 12, 2021
Home
Ownership

1. Talon X
As far as removing the steering wheel that someone else mentioned, I have a quick disconnect steering wheel hub (hess motorsports 6 bolt billet quick release steering hub adapter) and a dragonfire racing D-Shaped Steering wheel on my Talon partly as theft deterrent but also just because I wanted a nicer/softer wheel than that hard cheap plastic one from the factory. Only takes a second to remove and it is nice to be able to remove it while doing any work on the interior of the side by side.

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Our first trip to the MoM ride, someone tried to steal our P1K off an open trailer at a Comfort Inn while overnight in Clarksville Tennessee. Lucky they didn’t get away with it. When we got home I bought an enclosed trailer and quality locks for the doors.
Like many has mention, and I agree ….the more thieves have to work for it, the better. Thieves don’t like to work for anything!
I have found the enclosed trailer kinda makes me sleep better in a Hotel.

P

perryje

May 18, 2021
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
agree with scoop, keep them insured, anything you do is simply a deterrent, and better than nothing, if they want it bad enough, they will take the truck, trailer, sxs and be gone

I've backed the utility trailer in against a wall, parked under the canopy entrance at hotels overnite, etc.

we have had a couple in the area ripped off while owners away from machines and out hunting, whoever pulled up threw it in neutral and towed it away never to be seen again

if im out hunting and going to be away from it, trail cam is pointing at it, pull the steering wheel\throw in backpack, take the key and hope I don't have to make a pickup call when I get back
I really like the idea of pulling the steering wheel to make it very visible that "this machine is disabled". For those mechanics on the thread, is there another critical component that would be fairly easy to remove to disable the machine from even starting, while it is parked at the travel motel? i.e. a fuse or two, relay, computer, other?

P

PMN

Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Agree with the other posts, most measures are simply deterrents to make it hard(er) for an opportunistic thief-a determined one will get what he or she wants. That said, when traveling with an open trailer, I use:

-Pewag hardened security chain, with an encased Abloy lock, through frame & one wheel, which means it is easier to cut the trailer or the machine than to get through the lock and chain
-Hillbilly Brake & lock
-Trailer tongue lock
-Block in trailer with vehicle if possible. Chain up trailer wheels if not. (Don’t forget this in the morning………)
-Choice of overnight location. Not always feasible, but I pulled into a hotel once with a large number of beer drinking residents on the second floor balcony that appeared to be selecting items off my trailer for procurement before I got the trailer stopped. I cancelled my reservation and kept driving.

Hope this helps.

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I put a remote relay on the fuel pump circuit. Every time I get ready to start it I turn on the key, push the remote button to energize the fuel pump and then hit the starter. Without the relay energized the thing will run about 3 seconds before running out of fuel. I also wired in a parallel fuse holder (fuse removed normally) to bypass the relay if problems occurred...like the battery dies on the remote. At least if they are gonna steal it they will have to work for it. I use mine to take me places where I leave the ATV and go hiking or fishing far from the thing for hours also.

If you do go the chain/lock route find some square chain. It can't be cut with bolt cutters. A cordless grinder can still go through it in a few seconds tho.

At night at hotels etc try to find someplace to back the trailer against...something like a tree or the wall that houses the dumpsters. Put the trailer in a bind so that it can't be detached from the tow vehicle. Rolling it halfway up a curb can do this but a tree or wall also keeps it from being unloaded.

Ditto on theft insurance.
Very good idea! I will have to rig something up myself I love it.

Reactions: G-money and EMAW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!