Serious Steering Wheel Kickback Resulting In Broken Hand

Lori

Lori

Mar 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Hi, I purchased the new Pioneer 700-2 in November 2013. Have had it out on the trail a few times this winter temperature permitting as I live in Northern Alberta Canada.
I am wondering if anybody else has had this problem...while driving the machine if you happen to bump the front tires into something from an angle or the side of the tire, have you had the steering wheel ripped out of your hands, or spun hard from your hands, u know like the old tractors would do? I unfortunately have on a few occasions, it has happened to another driver of the machine also. I had it happen a few weeks ago while manoeuvring the machine in-between 2 stumps, I was moving slow and the passenger front tire bumped the stump, the wheel was ripped out of my hands, with the cross piece inside the steering wheel catching my thumb and wrenching it backwards. Needless to say it hurt really bad, got swollen quite badly. Thought just torn ligaments etc. It wasn't getting a whole lot better so went to Dr. ex-rays revealed 3 broken bones in my hand. being it's new on the market I do believe it is a design flaw. I have talked to Honda Canada about this matter, and they said there is nothing wrong with the machine, which I agree that there is nothing mechanically wrong etc. but that the way the steering design is dangerous, they said they would document my concerns but there is nothing they can do or will do unless there are more people that this happens too. I have talked to my local Honda dealership and and one of the journeyman techs can see how this could happen with the way the steering design is on the machines.
Just a note, previous to purchasing this machine I owned and drove regularly a Yamaha 450 Rhino in every condition possible for 7 years and not once did this happen. I am asking any of you who may have had this happen to please let Honda know about it. Given the right conditions, this may cause more serious problems than a casted hand. I would hate anybody to roll the machine because of loss of control over the steering problem. I would think Honda would take this and look into the problem, a very definite safety problem!!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Number 1 rule of off-road driving: Thumbs outside of the steering wheel.

Sorry about your thumb, but what you describe is pretty normal.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I have not experienced this with my Pioneer "yet". But I expect it could happen. It was common with my Rincon when I was not watching my travels. I can see with the Pioneer being so wide it would be more of a problem for those of us going from ATV to the Pioneer because we are not accustom it being wider then we normally ran.
A power assisted steering system would help stop this from happening. But have to wait till someone makes a kit for it.

Sorry to here about your accident. Wish you a fast recovery.
And follow DG's advice going forward. Hands on the outside of the wheel.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Lori

Lori

Mar 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys, but like I said, this is not my first SXS, still own a Yamaha Rhino SXS, I never had that happen in the 7 years I've been driving, year round, snow, mud and tight trails.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Got a trip this weekend. I will pay attention to the kickback and report back.

I would only expect it to happen if say you hit a stump or something while traveling at a decent speed. I dont expect to feel it on a normal trail. But we will see.

Lori

Lori

Mar 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
You are right it won't happen on flat ground or driving over logs or rocks etc. It happens when the wheel/tire is bumped from the side at an angle, that's when it happens, and I have been going slow every time it's happened, can't imagine if it happened going at a fair speed...Youch!

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Your right about that it,s when you hit on a angle.I was surprised that even with the EPS on mine that if I hit on the sides of my snow banks down my trails I feel it just a bit in the steering wheel.or at least I thinkI do.It also could be that when I touch the bank that the machine sort of moves over a bit??? I didn't think that I'd feel it at all. Looks like if people want EPS that its time to ask Super ATV if they'd start making them. I know after having EPS I'd not want to be without it.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi, I purchased the new Pioneer 700-2 in November 2013. Have had it out on the trail a few times this winter temperature permitting as I live in Northern Alberta Canada.
I am wondering if anybody else has had this problem...while driving the machine if you happen to bump the front tires into something from an angle or the side of the tire, have you had the steering wheel ripped out of your hands, or spun hard from your hands, u know like the old tractors would do? I unfortunately have on a few occasions, it has happened to another driver of the machine also. I had it happen a few weeks ago while manoeuvring the machine in-between 2 stumps, I was moving slow and the passenger front tire bumped the stump, the wheel was ripped out of my hands, with the cross piece inside the steering wheel catching my thumb and wrenching it backwards. Needless to say it hurt really bad, got swollen quite badly. Thought just torn ligaments etc. It wasn't getting a whole lot better so went to Dr. ex-rays revealed 3 broken bones in my hand. being it's new on the market I do believe it is a design flaw. I have talked to Honda Canada about this matter, and they said there is nothing wrong with the machine, which I agree that there is nothing mechanically wrong etc. but that the way the steering design is dangerous, they said they would document my concerns but there is nothing they can do or will do unless there are more people that this happens too. I have talked to my local Honda dealership and and one of the journeyman techs can see how this could happen with the way the steering design is on the machines.
Just a note, previous to purchasing this machine I owned and drove regularly a Yamaha 450 Rhino in every condition possible for 7 years and not once did this happen. I am asking any of you who may have had this happen to please let Honda know about it. Given the right conditions, this may cause more serious problems than a casted hand. I would hate anybody to roll the machine because of loss of control over the steering problem. I would think Honda would take this and look into the problem, a very definite safety problem!!

Sorry Lori to hear about your hand. I do think that power steering will fix your problem though! And superatv does make a power steering Kit for not only 500's but 700's too!! I know because it is on my wish list of parts to order. I have used super atv in the past and was happy. They shipping to Alaska for me and they have great customer service. I’ll try to post a link in this rely but if I fail you can easily find them in our vender section or at superatv.com.

wagoner79

wagoner79

May 7, 2015
kernersville,north carolina
I purchased the superatv kit about a year ago, ,and I would highly recommend it. Its the best mod I've done.

Last edited by a moderator:
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club Wagoner!!

advertisement
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Our old Rhino 700 would catch something from time to time and yank the wheel and if your thumbs were inside it was going to sting! Power steer is really the simplest way to solve the problem. Pretty much any off roader without power steering (old trucks, CJ's, etc) can do it. Sorry to hear about your injury!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!