P500 Shift issue

GAS

GAS

Aug 15, 2015
My 500 will not shift while running. It will shift with the key in the auxiliary position but when i start the motor the paddle shifters do nothing. I checked the battery and it is at 97% according to my tender. I let it run for about 10 minutes and still nothing. Any one else have a similar issue? New to the club, but have been lurking for sometimes. Hoping someone can help!

Reactions: redandblue16
C

Chooglin

There are several threads about this issue. Have you tried rocking the unit back and forth ,then try shifting it ?

GAS

GAS

Aug 15, 2015
There are several threads about this issue. Have you tried rocking the unit back and forth ,then try shifting it ?
I have. its not even trying. I can shift it into gear with the key on and it will go through all the gears (with some rocking), but when the motor is on it does nothing. checked the manual (nothing), and been combing the internet for someone with a similar problem... My baby is broken....

GAS

GAS

Aug 15, 2015
I have. its not even trying. I can shift it into gear with the key on and it will go through all the gears (with some rocking), but when the motor is on it does nothing. checked the manual (nothing), and been combing the internet for someone with a similar problem... My baby is broken....
I also started it in gear and drove it down the rode thinking it might start working but it didnt. checked the fuses, they are all good. It has been sitting for about a month.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I also started it in gear and drove it down the rode thinking it might start working but it didnt. checked the fuses, they are all good. It has been sitting for about a month.
This might sound stupid but check the oil level there may be a sensor that won't allow it to shift if its low, or try shifting it applying the brake, just a shot in the dark but what the hell it can't hurt, hope you get it figured out, let us know what it takes to fix it, and welcome to the club, hope someone comes up with a simple fix for you.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
or try disconnecting the battery for ten seconds and try it again?

GAS

GAS

Aug 15, 2015
or try disconnecting the battery for ten seconds and try it again?
Oil level is fine. I disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes but the issue is still there. I havent adjusted the clutch because it shifts fine when the motor is not running and i dont know how, but i am sure its on this forum somewhere. Its got about 200 miles on it. the only thing electrical i have done to it is add aftermarket lights using the Honda accessory harness. I unplugged it completely but that didnt change anything and i have ridden plenty of times since i put them on. Thanks for all the suggestions! Also tried the shifting with the brake on.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@GAS Welcome to the Club! Sorry to hear you are having issues. Is your parking brake on? Even if it is a little off the contactor it may not let it shift.

C

Chooglin

Clutch adjustment instructions if you want to try this

this is for the Foreman ,but its the same for the Pioneer 500

Attachments

• IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 419
Last edited by a moderator:
advertisement
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
This guy on youtube had a similar issue. Check out the comments, says it was a wire going into motor on drivers side, might message him for more details, and please post here when you figure it out! By the way check out some of his other videos, was one of the reasons I bought a P500...he drives his really hard.

GAS

GAS

Aug 15, 2015
This guy on youtube had a similar issue. Check out the comments, says it was a wire going into motor on drivers side, might message him for more details, and please post here when you figure it out! By the way check out some of his other videos, was one of the reasons I bought a P500...he drives his really hard.

Done mulching... Now back to the 500, I'll check his stuff out. THIS GROUP HAS BEEN GREAT! Didn't know communities like this were out there... Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm bummed about my ride but excited about you guys! I'll keep you up to date on it.

Reactions: TR1 and ohanacreek
GAS

GAS

Aug 15, 2015
Done mulching... Now back to the 500, I'll check his stuff out. THIS GROUP HAS BEEN GREAT! Didn't know communities like this were out there... Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm bummed about my ride but excited about you guys! I'll keep you up to date on it.
Thanks chooglin, I'm gonna try it

Reactions: Chooglin
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I unhooked the battery for about 2 hours thinking it would eventually forget what was wrong with it... It worked! Thanks again for all the support. Now the scary part... Will it happen again and when? What caused it? I'm happy for now I guess.

Glad it reset for you so it would shift again. Thanks for letting us know for possible future trouble shooting. :rolleyes:

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I unhooked the battery for about 2 hours thinking it would eventually forget what was wrong with it... It worked! Thanks again for all the support. Now the scary part... Will it happen again and when? What caused it? I'm happy for now I guess.
It may happen again, but thanks to you for posting how to fix the problem we all know how resolve the problem if it happens to us, that is what is great about this forum everybody tries to help each other out.

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I am thinking maybe the RPMs are too high so it won't shift or the sensor that detects that is not right. My 03 450 Foreman ES will not shift at all with the engine running if the RPMs are too high which happens if I leave the chock partly on. I would think a similar think could happen to the P500.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!