P500 Shifting and 4 WD

M

Michiganjim

Jun 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
New to the sport, I have a pioneer 2017 500 m purchased used and I am not use to the shifting and feels like it shifts hard both in manual and automatic, I did a basic clutch adjustment but it still feels a bit jerky; is that normal?
Another question, just for information how fast can you drive in 4WD and will it hurt to be in 4WD for extended amounts of time?
Also new to this forum as of a few days ago; others have been helpful getting me to this 500 shop talk 500 forum, Thanks to everyone trying to help, Still wearing the dunce hat but now it's a bit tilted; with luck it will fall off soon.
MK

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New to the sport, I have a pioneer 2017 500 m purchased used and I am not use to the shifting and feels like it shifts hard both in manual and automatic, I did a basic clutch adjustment but it still feels a bit jerky; is that normal?
Another question, just for information how fast can you drive in 4WD and will it hurt to be in 4WD for extended amounts of time?
Also new to this forum as of a few days ago; others have been helpful getting me to this 500 shop talk 500 forum, Thanks to everyone trying to help, Still wearing the dunce hat but now it's a bit tilted; with luck it will fall off soon.
MK
How many miles? I don't know much about the 500s but I heard after a few oil changes it smooths out. Same with my 1000 after a few oil changes it shifts smoothly now

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The P5 definitely shifts clunky at first. Not sure if it actually gets better or if you just get used to it. lol It's a solid setup though so bang those paddles for the desired gears without fear.

4WD....as fast as you want is my experience, but it does eat more fuel. I try to leave it in 2WD when the trails obviously don't need it, but there are times I find myself bouncing off the rev/speed limiter on pavement on the way back to camp still in 4WD. Just like there are times I realize I'm in 2WD in a rut on the trail. It happens.

M

Michiganjim

Jun 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks to all for helping me get to shop talk forum; I see lot's of comments on the shifting issue, a little more comfortable that this is a normal thing, has some limits and some good suggestions as to how it may be solved. This was a used machine a 2017, I am a bit more comfortable now that I didn't buy a lame horse. I took it into a dealer for a oil change right after I bought it, asked them to check the shift issue, they said fine; but I did the clutch basic adjustment which did help, from the forum it looks like I may have to tweek it some more.
Regards, to everyone that tried to help
MJ

M

Michiganjim

Jun 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
The P5 definitely shifts clunky at first. Not sure if it actually gets better or if you just get used to it. lol It's a solid setup though so bang those paddles for the desired gears without fear.

4WD....as fast as you want is my experience, but it does eat more fuel. I try to leave it in 2WD when the trails obviously don't need it, but there are times I find myself bouncing off the rev/speed limiter on pavement on the way back to camp still in 4WD. Just like there are times I realize I'm in 2WD in a rut on the trail. It happens.
Jeremie; Thank you very much, for report;
MJ

M

Michiganjim

Jun 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
How many miles? I don't know much about the 500s but I heard after a few oil changes it smooths out. Same with my 1000 after a few oil changes it shifts smoothly now
Isaiah; thanks for the reply the machine was purchased used, I have heard from the dealer things get better with the correct oil, well not really believing that I went UH Hu and home I went, now reading the posts on the forum it looks like the type of oil may make a difference so next oil change I will pay better attention.
regards, MJ

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome to the forum. Glad you already learned the clutch adjustment. I look at the P500 as a entry level utility machine. Some improvement for hard shifts can be made but it will never be as smooth as my 420 Rancher DCT. Enjoy it for what it is, a hard working machine for work and play over many years of ownership. Power steering makes it feel like a different machine. With the locker it brings back memories of driving my go anywhere FJ40.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome! I think the mileage and oil changes helps the initial shifting. Being used, it might have a bit more miles on it, so not sure how much that will help.

I would try the clutch adjustment again. I know my first attempt at the adjust wasn't quite right and didn't improve the shifting, so I re-did it and it make a HUGE difference. From hard/jarring shifts to smooth shifts.

Also, we like pictures!

Last edited:
M

Michiganjim

Jun 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Very much appreciate the feedback; the words from the people that actually own or have owned one is extremely helpful and reassuring. The last thing I wanted to do was make the issue worse.
I did find it get's better after a few min. running, shifting from 3rd to 4th and then to 5th is smoother. The start up and shifting from N to 1st, gives a jerk and I move right to 2nd before pulling out. The words from all of you have relieved a bit of the tension. I will follow up on the progress,
Thanks,
MJ

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!