BOX1

Shipping across country - smart or crazy?

U

uler3161

Jun 12, 2020
Orofino, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Third dealer, third no go. 19k on a 2020 1000x. And also not willing to negotiate. Don't know if there was extra fees on top of that or not. Probably not surprising since they only had one or two and they seem to be selling like hotcakes.

Is it a crazy idea to pay to ship one from the east coast? I got an estimate on shipping from the uship website to ship from Abernathys, but I'm not confident how accurate it is. Said it would be around the $700 range.

If that actually is ballpark to ship to north-central Idaho, that puts Abernathys at about 2k less than local dealers even with the shipping. Seems like a no-brainer. Anyone ever done this before?

Reactions: Isaiah
L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
I don't have personal experience but know some who have done this.
The only negative I remember, was damage done to fairly well used truck. And finger pointing about who and when and where it happened.
As your machine is new, there will be no doubt if there are any problems.
I would want to understand Uships fine print and I would still get full insurance before it left the dealership.
If it is what you want, I would go for it.

Reactions: JenElio
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I really wish those guys would start a shipping program.

Ever thought about going to get it yourself?

Reactions: Backwoods
U

uler3161

Jun 12, 2020
Orofino, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I really wish those guys would start a shipping program.

Ever thought about going to get it yourself?

Pretty long ways to go. Just a hair under 2000 miles each way. Would probably be around $500 in fuel, so I guess not horrible cost wise. But would still rather hire someone to haul it. Was actually hoping to find a closer dealer. I did just request a quote from a dealer over by Seattle. If their advertised price is OTD I might get that one.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I may be wrong, but I don't think Honda allows shipping from the dealer.
You may need to arrange someone to sign the paperwork, and remove it from the property before having it picked up.

Reactions: BigOL3
U

uler3161

Jun 12, 2020
Orofino, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well, right as I was writing my last post, I got a response to that quote. There are additional fees, so it doesn't look nearly as good of a deal.

Seems like the dealers who have good deals are all on the east coast. Are there any on the west coast? Preferably northwest.

U

uler3161

Jun 12, 2020
Orofino, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I may be wrong, but I don't think Honda allows shipping from the dealer.
You may need to arrange someone to sign the paperwork, and remove it from the property before having it picked up.
Really? I never would have thought a company would do that. Guess I need to do some more research. Thanks for the heads up.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@CumminsPusher, where is the best place up that way for a deal?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
And don't forget that you will need to pay Idaho sales tax when you buy out of state so you need to add that to the OTD price from another state. At 6%, that is nearly $1200 so keep that in mind when calculating your deal.

Another thing you will run into is your local dealer will probably treat you like s*** if you need service or warranty work. My dealer got me in and out for the (useless) sub-trans inspection in less than 24 hours. Had I bought it elsewhere, it would have been at least 2 weeks. Most Dealers take care of their purchasing customers first.

Price is important but it isn't everything.

U

uler3161

Jun 12, 2020
Orofino, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
And don't forget that you will need to pay Idaho sales tax when you buy out of state so you need to add that to the OTD price from another state. At 6%, that is nearly $1200 so keep that in mind when calculating your deal.

Another thing you will run into is your local dealer will probably treat you like s*** if you need service or warranty work. My dealer got me in and out for the (useless) sub-trans inspection in less than 24 hours. Had I bought it elsewhere, it would have been at least 2 weeks. Most Dealers take care of their purchasing customers first.

Price is important but it isn't everything.

I did already consider the sales tax. So, Abernathys price was 16,294. With 6% tax, that puts me at 17,271. I'm still unsure what shipping would be, or the total cost of me driving over there to get it, but I'd imagine that puts me around 18k or a little more.

Just got off the phone with another somewhat local dealer. Their quote (including tax) was 21,500. The lady I talked to did point out the problem on deals is that the coronavirus has caused sales to skyrocket. They've sold 3x what they sold last year. And I think this is a pretty big dealer. She said they normally have 500 units (I assume that's ATVs, Motorcycles SxSs combined), and now they are down to 200. The odd thing is it seems like inventory isn't a problem back east? Maybe those dealers ordered a large number of units before the virus hit.

Warranty work might suck. I plan to do all other maintenance myself anyway.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I did already consider the sales tax. So, Abernathys price was 16,294. With 6% tax, that puts me at 17,271. I'm still unsure what shipping would be, or the total cost of me driving over there to get it, but I'd imagine that puts me around 18k or a little more.

Just got off the phone with another somewhat local dealer. Their quote (including tax) was 21,500. The lady I talked to did point out the problem on deals is that the coronavirus has caused sales to skyrocket. They've sold 3x what they sold last year. And I think this is a pretty big dealer. She said they normally have 500 units (I assume that's ATVs, Motorcycles SxSs combined), and now they are down to 200. The odd thing is it seems like inventory isn't a problem back east? Maybe those dealers ordered a large number of units before the virus hit.

This is pure economics 101. Unemployment was projected to hit 20% in June and a majority of that was to be in the East so it slowed everything down. States like Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona, and New Mexico are faring MUCH better (all in the top 10 lowest unemployment right now) with unemployment below 10% and going down. This is causing more sales in the West and less in the East. Simple "Supply and Demand". Abernathy is in TN and that state is over the magical "everyone freaks out" 10% unemployment threshold as is many of the surrounding states. Sales out West are MUCH higher than in the East and South.

Utah right now is basically "business as usual". Unemployment on the decline (currently second best in the country), we have a rush hour again, camping, recreating, etc. Almost like nothing ever happened. Personally, I'd rather pay a couple thousand extra and have my life and the economy back, but that is just me.

Have you tried any dealers in California or Nevada, their unemployment rates are 16% and 23% respectively 😲

U

uler3161

Jun 12, 2020
Orofino, ID
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I did see a decent deal on the website of a dealer in California. Southern California, so it's a bit of a drive, but I might do that.

H

HondaTech

We aren't getting the requested inventory in Ohio either. They cut our entire June order by 10% and atvs just don't exist for ordering atm.

The SXS game is the same scenario, low or no inventory on certain models. Pricing will be at the mercy of dealers with stock on hand.

For instance, we could've sold 50 CRF110 pit bikes this month alone of we had them, but no one does.

Reactions: 500oneer
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!