P500 Shock Pre Load?

T

TXBubba

Mar 11, 2017
Mansfield, TX
Ownership

1. 500
I was measuring my P500 width cause I’m pondering new rims/tires (ITP 5/2, Ripsaw 26-9 & 26-11). The front is almost 51” at the bottom and around 49.5”at the top. Reading about others measurements, something seems off. It’s 100% stock in respect to suspension/rims/tires. The toe-out is obvious and the and the shocks are set on the second from weakest position. Any thoughts?

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was measuring my P500 width cause I’m pondering new rims/tires (ITP 5/2, Ripsaw 26-9 & 26-11). The front is almost 51” at the bottom and around 49.5”at the top. Reading about others measurements, something seems off. It’s 100% stock in respect to suspension/rims/tires. The toe-out is obvious and the and the shocks are set on the second from weakest position. Any thoughts?
Could you clarify the question a bit?

"TOE" is the relationship of the tires through an imaginary horizontal plane like the 2 yellow lines on the highway. "Camber" is that relationship in a vertical plane, which kinda sounds like what you're asking.

If thats the case, camber varies through suspension travel, and having slightly negative (from your description) is no big deal.

Reactions: mrjeff42
T

TXBubba

Mar 11, 2017
Mansfield, TX
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah... that dawned on me after I posted. I meant camber.

My concern really revolves around 50” gates and my desire to go to 26-9 tires... therefore wider than stock. I realize camber changes throughout the travel... and I believe it gets “worse” with squat.

ATVs I’ve had in the past have always had the opposite camber, too.

I guess my real question is... how is it supposed to be set?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah... that dawned on me after I posted. I meant camber.

My concern really revolves around 50” gates and my desire to go to 26-9 tires... therefore wider than stock. I realize camber changes throughout the travel... and I believe it gets “worse” with squat.

ATVs I’ve had in the past have always had the opposite camber, too.

I guess my real question is... how is it supposed to be set?
There is no official adjustment. You can do things like grind holes, maybe even get offset ball joints for quads and often "fix" things that aren't adjustable, but who's to say its not where its supposed to be? Does the FSM even give specs?

The 1st thing you have to do is get an more accurate measurement. That means a level surface and taking into account any runout in wheels/tires and air pressure. And then there's the matter of this being an off-road vehicle, which is never held to the same geometry standards from the factory as, say, a Corvette.

We were talking about 50" gates not to long ago. Most are said to be 52" or bigger, and the fact is thats it's known that the new 50" 900 RAZR's are like 51" off the showroom floor. Try pumping the tires up, and jacking up the preloads and i bet you can get under 50".

FWIW, i checked mine last week. Mine has stock rear wheels F/R. It was nearly dead on 50" (bottom of the tires) front, and around 49" rear at 6 PSI.

Last edited:
Reactions: TXBubba
T

TXBubba

Mar 11, 2017
Mansfield, TX
Ownership

1. 500
Interesting new detail. I clicked the shocks by two notches stiffer. It didn’t change the width so I lifted up on the front of the machine. It now measures just under 49”. I don’t know how much of that’s the adjustment vs just resetting the squat... either way, it means my nervousness about going to 26-9 tires up front is eased.

Also, I googled some about the actual gates in CO. They supposedly are 52 to 53” in reality... like you mentioned.

Thanks for the help!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!