P1000 Shock Question

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone know if the WE, Elka, or FOX aftermarket coilovers have any additional stroke over the OEM coilovers?
For example, Bandit's replacements for the Teryx have the same extended length but give you a little extra stroke in addition to ride quality improvement - thus, a little more travel.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Anyone know if the WE, Elka, or FOX aftermarket coilovers have any additional stroke over the OEM coilovers?
For example, Bandit's replacements for the Teryx have the same extended length but give you a little extra stroke in addition to ride quality improvement - thus, a little more travel.

I’m not sure but I do know that the WE are a little longer vs stock. ELKA are about the same as stock.

This picture shows the Elka and WE together. I had them pushed up against the back of the counter top for this picture.
1f1dea7266e57fad4800b7825d179f5b

Reactions: 500

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m not sure but I do know that the WE are a little longer vs stock. ELKA are about the same as stock.

This picture shows the Elka and WE together. I had them pushed up against the back of the counter top for this picture.
View attachment 58942
Good info.
Extra length may affect a bracket lift in terms of axle bind since it would droop more.
Are you running the WE or Elkas?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good info.
Extra length may affect a bracket lift in terms of axle bind since it would droop more.
Are you running the WE or Elkas?

You are correct about some axle bind. I’m currently using the Elkas. They are pretty much the same as the Walker Evans. The only difference is I ordered them with 25 pounds more spring rate per corner and sometimes I still think they’re too soft when I’ve got several passengers and gear. They are more firm than than the WE at 225#/250#.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are correct about some axle bind. I’m currently using the Elkas. They are pretty much the same as the Walker Evans. The only difference is I ordered them with 25 pounds more spring rate per corner and sometimes I still think they’re too soft when I’ve got several passengers and gear. They are more firm than than the WE at 225#/250#.
What stage?
I've read the WE and Elkas are a notch above the QS3's, but not sure I'd notice with primarily low speed driving.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What stage?
I've read the WE and Elkas are a notch above the QS3's, but not sure I'd notice with primarily low speed driving.

Stage 3 is what I have. I would probably buy the fox if I had to buy again because of the price. I have ridden with a lot of those guys and they seem to be very happy and perform good.

I think they are all good and the most important thing I would consider is matching the spring rate to the weight of your vehicle.

I know the upper end like stage 5 are better performing shocks but I would rather ride vs constantly adjusting the 3 settings. About the time you think you have them dialed in, your cargo or passengers change and now it’s all thrown out of whack.

Now with that said, I would still like to try some if I could for a grand cheaper but the price and complexity didn’t pass the grade for me.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stage 3 is what I have. I would probably buy the fox if I had to buy again because of the price. I have ridden with a lot of those guys and they seem to be very happy and perform good.

I think they are all good and the most important thing I would consider is matching the spring rate to the weight of your vehicle.

I know the upper end like stage 5 are better performing shocks but I would rather ride vs constantly adjusting the 3 settings. About the time you think you have them dialed in, your cargo or passengers change and now it’s all thrown out of whack.

Now with that said, I would still like to try some if I could for a grand cheaper but the price and complexity didn’t pass the grade for me.
Ya, interesting on the spring rates you posted above.
The aftermarkets for the Teryx 4 are usually 300 / 350 or 300 / 380. These units are not considerably different in weight nor shock angle. The arms on the Teryx were a tad shorter in length though.
Did you have Walker Evans and switch to ELKA? If so, why the swap?
It gets a little time consuming going through your build thread due to the mass volume of posts lol.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ya, interesting on the spring rates you posted above.
The aftermarkets for the Teryx 4 are usually 300 / 350 or 300 / 380. These units are not considerably different in weight nor shock angle. The arms on the Teryx were a tad shorter in length though.
Did you have Walker Evans and switch to ELKA? If so, why the swap?
It gets a little time consuming going through your build thread due to the mass volume of posts lol.

I’m sure there are differences in arm length, shock angle, and weight that all make the difference combined.

I’ve just been fishing for product testing so that’s why I’ve used both of them. Same thing when I did the MudBusters for the 700 and 1000. So I had no reason to swap other than just an agreement to use them and give feedback and publicity.

As far as Traveller’s weight, it all adds up.

Dual batteries
Dual winches
70lbs of 1/2” skid plate
Roof
Windshield
UHMW Wheel well liners
Lights every
Sound bar, head unit, sub woofer
Then the additional crap I carry like tools, parts, tire, fuel, cooler.

Because of all of this. It would be hard for me to make a recommendation on spring rate for somebody else’s vehicle. However, 225 front and 250 rear is close to stock as I can tell. I went 250 and 275 and it works great until I add several passengers. But even with the passengers it’s better than stock. But I least I can tighten up the compression with a quick turn of the knob to compensate.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!