P1000 Fox shock preload

B

BillChestnutt

Oct 11, 2018
East Valley Arizona’s
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just added Viper springs to my Fox QS3 shocks . I went with 250 front and 300 rear. I’m currently at 1 1/4 preload in the front. That puts me close to the 1/3 sag overall. I was just wondering if going to 1 3/4 is too much preload. Any thoughts??

Reactions: ChadD
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Preload is going to be up to you and your comfort. 1 3/4 should be fine. At some point it will start to feel stiffer.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yup its all up to you. Cant tell you how to set them. Like trying to tell u what size underwear fits best🤣 but yes, the tighter you turn the jam nut the the stiffer the ride.
NoHomo on all of it🥳

• Haha
Reactions: ChadD and trigger
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just added Viper springs to my Fox QS3 shocks . I went with 250 front and 300 rear. I’m currently at 1 1/4 preload in the front. That puts me close to the 1/3 sag overall. I was just wondering if going to 1 3/4 is too much preload. Any thoughts??
Did you have passengers and your normal payload in the machine when you set the sag? You're probably close but you may need a bit more. I set preload on a day when I was filling the water softener so I had about 450lbs of salt to use as payload and I didn't have to battle my passengers.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just got back from a test ride at 1 3/4 preload. The ride was definitely stiffer. Will drop down to 1 1/2 tomorrow and call it good for the front. I’m trying to get the best ride and maximum clearance at the same time.
Remember that the taller you set it, the sharper your CV angles will be. That's why I'm running the Talon at spec'd ground clearance.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just got back from a test ride at 1 3/4 preload. The ride was definitely stiffer. Will drop down to 1 1/2 tomorrow and call it good for the front. I’m trying to get the best ride and maximum clearance at the same time.
I think you'll still want to add weight and try it again. You'll likely lose 1.5-2" of ride height with payload and Passengers. I've kept mine low too.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 350# Viper rear springs over Fox shocks. The OEM were like bad bed springs..
For a Base line, I loaded all my usual s***, including full gas and water cans and tools, then adjusted to 12.5" to 13"(ride height) clearance from the ground to the bottom center of the rear skid plate.. Pretty much the oem ground clearance with stock geometry ( A arms, ect.).

Then I loaded it with passengers, rode one weekend, re checked and ended up backing off the preload tension a bit.
Less than an inch of thread run out on top of the spring.
They are now dialed in with a load and ride pretty dam good, with tons of preload adjustment left for future sag.
Just mine..

Last edited:
B

BillChestnutt

Oct 11, 2018
East Valley Arizona’s
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe I finally have the shock preload where I want it both front and rear. I ended up 1 1/4 in the front and about 27/32 in the rear. When I first started the post I forgot to mention that I have TTC 3 inch lift A arms. I know that changes a lot because of the angle of the CV joints. I’m going to run it like this till I can buy and install 2.0 Rhino axles, they are supposed to have better flexibility. But I just wanted to say Thanks to everyone that responded. That’s what makes this such a great place!

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Remember that the taller you set it, the sharper your CV angles will be. That's why I'm running the Talon at spec'd ground clearance.
what he said - just set preload at stock ride height
I believe I finally have the shock preload where I want it both front and rear. I ended up 1 1/4 in the front and about 27/32 in the rear. When I first started the post I forgot to mention that I have TTC 3 inch lift A arms. I know that changes a lot because of the angle of the CV joints. I’m going to run it like this till I can buy and install 2.0 Rhino axles, they are supposed to have better flexibility. But I just wanted to say Thanks to everyone that responded. That’s what makes this such a great place!
the important number is "stock ride height" - accounting for lift/tire size/etc.

I see these with the preload cranked up for "lift", and they ride like crap as the springs are compressed

my suggestion is to really research the Chinese made 2.0's, and get the truth, just so many posts of bad experiences with 2.0's and then the machines that have zillions of miles are running stock axles

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Did you have passengers and your normal payload in the machine when you set the sag? You're probably close but you may need a bit more. I set preload on a day when I was filling the water softener so I had about 450lbs of salt to use as payload and I didn't have to battle my passengers.View attachment 421425
Never have I ever seen anyone use 80 lbs of solar salt as a booster seat :D

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I couldn't come up with a cheaper way to put 450 lbs in the machine that wasn't going to complain about it taking too long
Didn’t want to park beside KFC with a sign that said free fried chicken? Nevermind the salt was probably cheaper.

B

BillChestnutt

Oct 11, 2018
East Valley Arizona’s
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can I hijack my own thread? I’ve got a front outer cv boot leaking grease . My question is , after I take everything off the hub except the A arms connections can I just remove the bolts from the lower arm and lift everything out of he way or is it better to take the upper A arm loose?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can I hijack my own thread? I’ve got a front outer cv boot leaking grease . My question is , after I take everything off the hub except the A arms connections can I just remove the bolts from the lower arm and lift everything out of he way or is it better to take the upper A arm loose?
I prefer to take the axle nut off and the lower a-arm. It's easier if you remove the shock and tie rod. I do not like pulling the ball joints apart or fighting the upper a-arm bolts.

Sometimes its worth cleaning the CV boot and re-crimping the clamp on the boot. You likely changed the CV angle and created a bit more heat than previously in the joint. Typically the boots will purge a bit and be fine. It's not a bad idea to plunge the CV several times to move the grease around within the boot and joint.

Last edited:
B

BillChestnutt

Oct 11, 2018
East Valley Arizona’s
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The adventure continues. I got the front axle out and removed the bands . After popping the CV joint apart I found 2 ball bearings laying in the boot. The cage was busted.New axles are to be delivered tomorrow. Since this was totally unexpected I went with axles from Sixity, anyone have opinions on these.

• Wow
Reactions: ChadD and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!