P500 Shopping for information

Swampdog

Swampdog

Lifetime Member
Mar 19, 2020
Forgotten Coast, FL
Ownership

1. 500
Hello, new guy here browsing the hondasxs forums to help me decide if I should buy a P500 or else a Honda Foreman ATV. I'm an old guy just shy of 70, an avid deer hunter, looking to replace my 2001 Yamaha Grizzly 600 (my avatar). The area I hunt is in north Florida, timber company land, pine plantations and swamps.
The pine trees are grown for pulpwood so they are planted very close together, like 4-5 feet apart. I am looking at the P500 due to it's 50" width so it would be easier to navigate between the trees than larger UTV's. Any advice from people who have experience operating their P500's in similar off-road terrain would be greatly appreciated.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Hello, new guy here browsing the hondasxs forums to help me decide if I should buy a P500 or else a Honda Foreman ATV. I'm an old guy just shy of 70, an avid deer hunter, looking to replace my 2001 Yamaha Grizzly 600 (my avatar). The area I hunt is in north Florida, timber company land, pine plantations and swamps.
The pine trees are grown for pulpwood so they are planted very close together, like 4-5 feet apart. I am looking at the P500 due to it's 50" width so it would be easier to navigate between the trees than larger UTV's. Any advice from people who have experience operating their P500's in similar off-road terrain would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy from Oklahoma Swampdog, and welcome to the forum. I wish I was still 70. I'm not older than dirt, but I can remember when fire came along and that was a big thing.

My wife's family has a pine tree farm in Southern Arkansas and we go down and ride occasionally. I usually take the P500, if we are going to stay on the logging roads, and firebreaks. If that is not the case, I would take my Honda Rancher, and or my Honda Recons. I think the Foreman is only a couple of inches less in width than the P500, but weaseling through the trees is much easier with the short wheelbase of the 4 wheelers.

With the P500, consider that you can outfit it with roof, windshield, and other creature comforts, along with hauling a lot more gear, beer, and room for any hot chicks you might pickup along the way. ;)

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the club. 90% of my riding is in my hunting clubs. East Texas is full of pine plantations with some nasty mud thrown in. I don't hunt the mud holes but sometimes you can't get around them. I would suggest a locker for that reason. My 500 is set up for hunting in what I'm sure is a similar landscape to where you are. It works great. I go where most of the other guys can't and have hauled out hogs in excess of 400 lbs with no problem.

Reactions: Swampdog
L

Lburou

Dec 3, 2019
Dallas/Fort Worth area, USA
Ownership

1. 500
FWIW, the leg lift over the saddles on my Yamaha four wheeler & Honda three wheeler became painful enough that the side by side looked good to me. We have a narrow golf cart garage, so the P500 was the best choice for us size wise.

The issues I have with the P500, (given our individual use), are: 1) No dump bed, 2) No option for one wheel drive, 3) The hard shifting, 4) The roof is set so far aft it doesn't protect much from sun or rain. We do miss the winch, storage and street lights of our last side by side. But, it fits the garage better than our former side by side, not to mention we like an actual transmission and the paddle shift makes us feel like race car drivers. HTH

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
hello from central fl. p-5 in 4wheel takes on the sugar sand and wins, comfortable ride for two,lots of extras to customize the way you like it.

Swampdog

Swampdog

Lifetime Member
Mar 19, 2020
Forgotten Coast, FL
Ownership

1. 500
I am officially a Honda Pioneer 500 owner.

Thank you everyone for sharing your information with me. Honda P500 2Honda Pioneer 500

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I have owned numerous ATV's and side by sides and in my opinion, the overall manipulating a machine through technical woods, etc., is easier on the ATV vs. side by side. However, if you are looking to enjoy work (not climbing on/off a machine, somewhere to easily store things, etc.), the P500 become a dream machine. Likewise, taking someone along on the SXS is nicer as well...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!