TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@TripleB:

What is or was the purpose of the two massive wire reels in photo #2?
That's how the old coal mines got the coal off the mountain. They would bring the coal out of the mines in small cars to a tipple that would have been over top of those cable lines. Dump into a larger car. Once the larger car was full they would send it down the mountain to another tipple, where it would be loaded on a train. As a full car was going down a empty car would be coming up. I know where several of these old inclines are but this is the only one that still has the drums left.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's how the old coal mines got the coal off the mountain. They would bring the coal out of the mines in small cars to a tipple that would have been over top of those cable lines. Dump into a larger car. Once the larger car was full they would send it down the mountain to another tipple, where it would be loaded on a train. As a full car was going down a empty car would be coming up. I know where several of these old inclines are but this is the only one that still has the drums left.
Here is a picture of that actual incline from the Roaches Creek/Dean mines. This is the bottom end near the railroad. It's still a long ways up to where the drums are at.
60 vi

And another from years later after the mines was shut down.
56 vi

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Got it, thanks.

Were Tennessee coal mines verticall and deep underground?

As best I can determine, West Virginia mines were usually horizontal, deep into a hillside but generally not deep vertically.

There's an Exhibition Coal Mine nearby in Beckley open to the public for a modest ticket fee as a tourist adventure. I've visited it several times when we had guests from out of state. I found it interesting and somewhat educational.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Had to google that and get the coordinates.Very cool.
Pretty decent article about this mines.

35 vi

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm a transplanted Texan, a newcomer to WV. I find the coal mines and miners interesting and sad. Almost all the adult males I've met or spoken with here in southern WV have a linkage to the mines. Either they worked in the mins themselves or a brother, uncle, cousin, or their father and grandfather earned their living in the mines.

The history of WV is filled with numerous coal mine explosions and miners who died in the mines. Almost all the men in many remote rural areas worked in the mines so when a coal mine explosion occurred, most of the male population of the area were killed in one single tragic event.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!