DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Saturday was the day I was finally getting over to @PJon's neck of the woods. Got everything ready to leave directly from the house to head over to Cowboy Miller road. Wanted to see Turkey Creek/Aravaipa canyon and it's lushness. If time permited, might check out some of copper Creek road as well. Woke up at 5:30.

I decided to take Florence Kelvin highway over, which has a few miles of gravel, but is most direct route...albeit probably not quite as quick. Naturally, half way through the gravel section, the TPMS light came on and an inspection revealed a low tire loosing air rapidly. Possibly a rock puncture. 5 plugs and some air later, I decided the 20 year old spare was a better choice for the highway driving back, since the plugs were trying to push out. All this took probably an hour and I decided I didn't want to make the drive back from Mammoth in this shape, likely in the dark.

So...I guess I wasn't meant to ride over there that day...for whatever reason. Good news is I was literally a few miles from my normal staging spot, and I'll be damned if this is going to keep me from riding somewhere today...

Rugged canyon...

20230923 105406

20230923 105951

Copper basin railway and erosion protection...

20230923 121724

20230923 132640

20230923 132829

The desert can be tough...

20230923 133402

20230923 133509

...yet incredibly beautiful...

20230923 182310

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Saturday was the day I was finally getting over to @PJon's neck of the woods. Got everything ready to leave directly from the house to head over to Cowboy Miller road. Wanted to see Turkey Creek/Aravaipa canyon and it's lushness. If time permited, might check out some of copper Creek road as well. Woke up at 5:30.

I decided to take Florence Kelvin highway over, which has a few miles of gravel, but is most direct route...albeit probably not quite as quick. Naturally, half way through the gravel section, the TPMS light came on and an inspection revealed a low tire loosing air rapidly. Possibly a rock puncture. 5 plugs and some air later, I decided the 20 year old spare was a better choice for the highway driving back, since the plugs were trying to push out. All this took probably an hour and I decided I didn't want to make the drive back from Mammoth in this shape, likely in the dark.

So...I guess I wasn't meant to ride over there that day...for whatever reason. Good news is I was literally a few miles from my normal staging spot, and I'll be damned if this is going to keep me from riding somewhere today...

Rugged canyon...

View attachment 403897

View attachment 403898

View attachment 403899

View attachment 403900

View attachment 403903

View attachment 403901

View attachment 403902

View attachment 403904
See @Plumber32 , I told you someone would find that cow you let do those weird things to you!

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
See @Plumber32 , I told you someone would find that cow you let do those weird things to you!

Rugged canyon...

View attachment 403897

View attachment 403898

View attachment 403899

View attachment 403900

View attachment 403903

View attachment 403901

View attachment 403902

View attachment 403904
Speaking about your attempted ride @DG Rider, a group of us (4 machines and 6 people), did the Mammoth to Parson’s Grove Cabin and back ride on Friday. We used the Cowboy Miller road to get to Rug Road near the pass through Table Mountain. The top part of the road getting to Rug Rd is steep and rough with lots of loose 6” or so rocks and everyone was in low range, but no serious rock steps. Once we dropped down through the pass it was still a little rough but with lots of trees and new growth from the monsoons of the last couple years. We spent some time exploring the ruins of the Table Mountain Mine and then continued on to Parsons Grove Cabin for lunch. Exploring a couple of side roads, we found some old ranchers cabins and saw Deer, Turkey and a small herd of wild horses. one of the better rides we’ve been on lately.
IMG 2841
IMG 2843
IMG 2844
IMG 2846
IMG 2849

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Speaking about your attempted ride @DG Rider, a group of us (4 machines and 6 people), did the Mammoth to Parson’s Grove Cabin and back ride on Friday. We used the Cowboy Miller road to get to Rug Road near the pass through Table Mountain. The top part of the road getting to Rug Rd is steep and rough with lots of loose 6” or so rocks and everyone was in low range, but no serious rock steps. Once we dropped down through the pass it was still a little rough but with lots of trees and new growth from the monsoons of the last couple years. We spent some time exploring the ruins of the Table Mountain Mine and then continued on to Parsons Grove Cabin for lunch. Exploring a couple of side roads, we found some old ranchers cabins and saw Deer, Turkey and a small herd of wild horses. one of the better rides we’ve been on lately.View attachment 403970View attachment 403971View attachment 403972View attachment 403973View attachment 403974
The first photo shows Sombrero peak in background with Carpet Hill in foreground.
Second photo taking a break at the pass.
Table Mountain Mine ruins of Smelter and last one of the old cabins that we walked to.

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Speaking about your attempted ride @DG Rider, a group of us (4 machines and 6 people), did the Mammoth to Parson’s Grove Cabin and back ride on Friday. We used the Cowboy Miller road to get to Rug Road near the pass through Table Mountain. The top part of the road getting to Rug Rd is steep and rough with lots of loose 6” or so rocks and everyone was in low range, but no serious rock steps. Once we dropped down through the pass it was still a little rough but with lots of trees and new growth from the monsoons of the last couple years. We spent some time exploring the ruins of the Table Mountain Mine and then continued on to Parsons Grove Cabin for lunch. Exploring a couple of side roads, we found some old ranchers cabins and saw Deer, Turkey and a small herd of wild horses. one of the better rides we’ve been on lately.View attachment 403970View attachment 403971View attachment 403972View attachment 403973View attachment 403974

The first photo shows Sombrero peak in background with Carpet Hill in foreground.
Second photo taking a break at the pass.
Table Mountain Mine ruins of Smelter and last one of the old cabins that we walked to.
Excellent!

Don't suppose you have any tracks for this?

Probably a bit before I try it again.

advertisement
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!