CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ahhh...my mistress the desert ...
I feel yer pain. :eek: I got invited to Lake Powell in 1972 and loved it so much I went back for 25 consecutive years; including buying 3 boats. :oops: I was also a dirt bike rider and added those trips to southern Utah during that time. I've only missed 2 or 3 years in the last 52 years. I aged out of dirt bikes right about the time Honda introduced the Talon. 😍 I'll continue exploring the desert backcountry as long as my health holds.

If I get my way, this will be the last thing I see -
I CW75FZ9 X2

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I feel yer pain. :eek: I got invited to Lake Powell in 1972 and loved it so much I went back for 25 consecutive years; including buying 3 boats. :oops: I was also a dirt bike rider and added those trips to southern Utah during that time. I've only missed 2 or 3 years in the last 52 years. I aged out of dirt bikes right about the time Honda introduced the Talon. 😍 I'll continue exploring the desert backcountry as long as my health holds.

If I get my way, this will be the last thing I see -
View attachment 442724
You should get on a bike again. Doesn’t have to be full dirt bike slammin your shins against the footpegs kinda ride. Nothing like a bike.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
You should get on a bike again. Doesn’t have to be full dirt bike slammin your shins against the footpegs kinda ride. Nothing like a bike.
While I agree, there are 2 problems with that - 1. Life is too good for me now to take a chance on getting hurt, again. 2. Yes, it does have to be full dirt bike slammin' my shins against the footpegs kinda ride. And that's how I broke my leg ... both times. :oops:

So I'm happy ridin' the Talon off into the sunset without another injury. :)

And I love exploring the deserted desert backcountry roads. There's supposed to be a road right where I'm standing, but I couldn't find a trace. I'll be headed back to come at it from the other direction to see iffn I can tie the ends together. 😍

Clearly, there's supposed to be a road there (black circle, lower right). Lots of other roads in the area that need 'tracking'.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
While I agree, there are 2 problems with that - 1. Life is too good for me now to take a chance on getting hurt, again. 2. Yes, it does have to be full dirt bike slammin' my shins against the footpegs kinda ride. And that's how I broke my leg ... both times. :oops:

So I'm happy ridin' the Talon off into the sunset without another injury. :)

And I love exploring the deserted desert backcountry roads. There's supposed to be a road right where I'm standing, but I couldn't find a trace. I'll be headed back to come at it from the other direction to see iffn I can tie the ends together. 😍
View attachment 442725

Clearly, there's supposed to be a road there (black circle, lower right). Lots of other roads in the area that need 'tracking'.
View attachment 442726
I've always liked...well...I'll call it trail archaeology. Bringing old trails back to life by running them until they look used again. You never let a trail die if you can help it. Where did it go? Why did it fall out of favor? Sometimes the answer is just a big washout that nobody can get by.

Other times, the answer is not so obvious.
I've taken to carrying a small shovel and a battery sawzall just in case...

Also Helps keep asshole government from trying to claim it's "closed" as well.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've always liked...well...I'll call it trail archaeology. Bringing old trails back to life by running them until they look used again. You never let a trail die if you can help it. Where did it go? Why did it fall out of favor? Sometimes the answer is just a big washout that nobody can get by.

Other times, the answer is not so obvious.
I've taken to carrying a small shovel and a battery sawzall just in case...

Also Helps keep asshole government from trying to claim it's "closed" as well.
I feel the same way, especially about the asshole goobermint. I've been amazed at how close the trails in GAIA are to the actual road, within a few feet, at most. If 'they' don't want me there, they can get it removed from the topo. But if I can see the ghost of a trail, I'm riding it.

As you know, there are some washouts that no SxS is getting past. :(

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I feel the same way, especially about the asshole goobermint. I've been amazed at how close the trails in GAIA are to the actual road, within a few feet, at most. If 'they' don't want me there, they can get it removed from the topo. But if I can see the ghost of a trail, I'm riding it.

As you know, there are some washouts that no SxS is getting past. :(
I'll get flack from certain virtue signalers, but I kinda feel the same way about the whole "travel management plan" maps. You know...the ones where they don't mark the trail closed, but it's considered closed if it's not shown as open on the map?
Yeah, right...kiss my ass. You want to close a trail, at least go mark it closed with signage and I'll respect that. I pay enough of the governments salary for them to at least get out and hang a sign.

advertisement