Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The wife and I just got back from the family cabin in Pettigrew Arkansaw, here's a few pictures.
IMG 5117
IMG 5116 1
IMG 5086
IMG 5087
IMG 5093
IMG 5094
IMG 5096
IMG 5099
IMG 5100
IMG 5102
IMG 5103 1
IMG 5104
IMG 5114
IMG 5115

Last edited:
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure you know that they have become a hot topic on some of the FB pages locally (if you even mention them, about 50 self-appointed land police will remind you that they are on private land, etc), and that one of them collapsed.

I'm relatively new to this area of AZ, but it's my understanding that they have been "private property" for decades, but enforcement was lax. The new owner(s) have been much more aggressive in trying to keep people out...to the point of calling sheriffs and supposedly brandishing a shotgun.

I went once, about a year and a half ago...shortly before they became a hot topic again. I saw all sorts of older posted signs after I was already there, so at that point, I stopped, took some pics, and left and will not be returning. They are cool relics, but the beautiful terrain surrounding them is even more so, and open to exploration...so no point in breaking the law and drawing the ire of the owner with so much else to explore.
Was checking out the location of the Coke Ovens on the map and there is private land to the east by the overlook that is posted, but it looks like you can still come in from the NW and stay on State/Federal land.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Was checking out the location of the Coke Ovens on the map and there is private land to the east by the overlook that is posted, but it looks like you can still come in from the NW and stay on State/Federal land.
You might want to check out the Pepsi Ovens instead 🤣🤣

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What kind of maps were you using?

All I know is the one time I was there, I came in on martinez canyon road from the west, but went down to the ovens from the east (down the hill), and at the bottom of the hill, if I recall, there were damaged, old looking posted signs and fencing. I thought these were from some point in the past, as there was a steady stream of SxS's/Atvs making the trip. When I left, I continued the "loop" back up to martinez canyon road, leaving to the west, and crossing some of the same fencing/signage.

Shortly after, there were PSAs on facebook about them being private property, supposedly at the request of the owner/caretaker. And then several stories of people be accosted by said person. Whoever it is has been doubling down on keeping people off the property. One of the ovens also collapsed a while back. Of course, that hasn't stopped anyone from going to them...
That said, I know of no one who has had any issues with the surrounding trails like martinez/Rincon/Cochran road.

I will note, however, that the last time I crossed the river to the east, near the old townsite, the gate (simple barbed wire, in this case) that is always open, was closed, and had wires in a way as to discourage opening it (below and above the upper, and lowest strands, respectively). This is probably a mile east of the ovens, and had been done in that previous week. I honestly never even knew there was one there. I rewired the gate properly, went through, and closed it behind me, and headed east.
I ask about this on Facebook pages, but got no real response. I put it off as ranch hands who didn't know better, but I haven't been back since to see.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What kind of maps were you using?

All I know is the one time I was there, I came in on martinez canyon road from the west, but went down to the ovens from the east (down the hill), and at the bottom of the hill, if I recall, there were damaged, old looking posted signs and fencing. I thought these were from some point in the past, as there was a steady stream of SxS's/Atvs making the trip. When I left, I continued the "loop" back up to martinez canyon road, leaving to the west, and crossing some of the same fencing/signage.

Shortly after, there were PSAs on facebook about them being private property, supposedly at the request of the owner/caretaker. And then several stories of people be accosted by said person. Whoever it is has been doubling down on keeping people off the property. One of the ovens also collapsed a while back. Of course, that hasn't stopped anyone from going to them...
That said, I know of no one who has had any issues with the surrounding trails like martinez/Rincon/Cochran road.

I will note, however, that the last time I crossed the river to the east, near the old townsite, the gate (simple barbed wire, in this case) that is always open, was closed, and had wires in a way as to discourage opening it (below and above the upper, and lowest strands, respectively). This is probably a mile east of the ovens, and had been done in that previous week. I honestly never even knew there was one there. I rewired the gate properly, went through, and closed it behind me, and headed east.
I ask about this on Facebook pages, but got no real response. I put it off as ranch hands who didn't know better, but I haven't been back since to see.
Those were from the public land layer on Gaia.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thinking of trying Gaia. I really like the looks of their free map.
There’s a long learning curve to full utilization with Gaia. I’m going to try to include a screen shot of the area around the Coke Ovens which the map indicates is U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. When we were there, only went to end of yellow line.

7C89FF0A 50BC 4461 B01C 2D62B8D8F588

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
SW of Denver. I didn't realize how big these steps are until I walked around taking pics, 2 - 4'. :oops: My line is just this side of the trees in the foreground, up and down.

Fun but short downhill, the shade hides the 'texture'. I drug the front bumper in the bottom right.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
There’s a long learning curve to full utilization with Gaia. I’m going to try to include a screen shot of the area around the Coke Ovens which the map indicates is U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. When we were there, only went to end of yellow line.

View attachment 262478
So...are the "clear" sections supposed to be private land?

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So...are the "clear" sections supposed to be private land?
Yes, the areas shown that look like they’re more satellite view are privately owned areas. Maps for our areas show USBR, BLM, State Trust, Nat Forest and Wilderness clearly. If you get the app, you can touch the area and description of public land control pops up.

Reactions: J80 and Smitty335
advertisement
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!